PDA

View Full Version : Faked Yenko Tale

elcamino
12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Read this thread (page 4 post by 69X11SS) about the fake Yenko and how some guys pulled a fast one a few years back. (http://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=004013;p=4)

In case you are too lazy to travel, here it is:

[ QUOTE ]
have to throw this in for all the doubting Thomas'. In 1997 I investigated a case where someone paid $75,000.00 for what he believed to be a Yenko Camaro. The VIN and the title are on the Yenko list. The problem was that the real Yenko was stolen and stripped in 1986. The shell was recovered and the insurance company turned the car over to a salvage yard. Back in the 80's there was no requirement for a salvage title to be issued for theft recoveries. So, the salvage yard owner had a Yenko Camaro shell with an original (unbranded) title. I hope you are all starting to see where this is going. After the shell sat a couple of years, someone figured out what the car was and decided it would be great to rebuild the car. The shell was not usuable. But, they had another coupe. They cut out the con numbers and replaced the firewall, transferred the public vin plate and the trim tag, restamped a 427, Muncie M22, and 12 bolt differential. This car was no Yenko by any stretch of the imagination. So, I hope you see that the point is, be extremely careful when you mess with the vin plate.

Post Script: The two gentlemen involved in the project received a five year invitation to be guests of the Missouri Correctional System

[/ QUOTE ]

elcamino
12-14-2003, 01:32 PM
ttt