PDA

View Full Version : 70 L78 Chevelle Conv w/ Aluminum Heads

Musclecarkid
12-14-2003, 03:18 AM
Need someone to help with documenting an early (Oct 69) 70 L78/L89 Chevelle convertible. Has 6500 redline tach and aluminum heads. Car is really rusty. Found car in a barn in N. Jersey. Buildsheet is rough. How much should I pay?

Charley Lillard
12-14-2003, 04:16 AM
A bunch if you can document that L89 on the build sheet....Wow

COPO
12-14-2003, 12:15 PM
It would certainly be worth north of $100K as is if the buildsheet proves it to be legit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Stuart Adams
12-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Of course don't pay 100K for it now, that is what COPO says it will be worth if legit and restored - he's probably right on. I hope its the real deal. Is the build sheet readable?

ohhawk
12-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Considering 18 made (hardtops & convertibles), I'd say proceed with caution. What's remaining of the buildsheet? That would seem to be a key element for determining value. Without key data that proves this car what do you really have?

Illinois dealer will be listing a fully documented L78 (not L89) one soon. Probably won't even publish a price on it.

COPO
12-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Stuart, I'm saying it's worth north of $100K un-restored if it is legit and can be proven with documentation. Restored I could see it bring $200K at Barrett Jackson. That car would be only one known to exist. Of course if you can buy that "ratty old Chevelle" for $1,500 but all means go for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

yountto
12-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Kevin, there was rumor of a green 1970 L89 on a trailer at Lebanon Racetrack swap meet this past fall. I saw the car drive by[trailer] ,but thats about it,didnt know what it was until later in the day...A long shot its the same car but you never know....Ill give you a 500.00 profit if you end up with it..

Mr Yenko
12-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Yeah that sounds worth the effort,buy the car and cash in with a $500.00 profit."MOF" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif

GTO_DON
12-14-2003, 09:53 PM
I hope he was kidding!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif I think 5,000 is more like it.

SuperNovaSS
12-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Sounds more like it could be $50,000 to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stuart Adams
12-15-2003, 03:37 AM
Wow, COPO I wasn't aware that the car could be that rare- Thanks for the info.

Musclecarkid
12-15-2003, 05:07 AM
Just received the following information on this car."The original motor is apart and in the trunk. The numbers are hard to read, but appear to read T0926CKT". "The firewall trim tag has 10A for a build date." Will try to get more information soon.

JChlupsa
12-15-2003, 05:23 AM
T0926CKT". Sep 26 and CKT is a 375 Horse 402 in the Chevelle. Kicker its a 3 or 4 speed with Alum Heads. Would be right for the below Build date

"The firewall trim tag has 10A

NOTE in Chevy by the Numbers:

Due to the build-out schedule revisions after production change over at the Tonawanda plant, some 1970 402 engine suffix codes were used on late 1969 396 engines if you can find a copy of the Chevy Service News dated Jan 1970 you can find more in depth info

Snatch that car up!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Stuart Adams
12-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Its amazing the cars that still keep turning up. Thats great.

55chevy
12-15-2003, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its amazing the cars that still keep turning up. Thats great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish one would "turn up" in MY driveway.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Stuart Adams
12-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Ditto!!

JoeC
12-15-2003, 06:07 PM
be careful what you wish for
you may get 1958 Plymouth Fury that is
nicknamed "CHRISTINE" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Stefano
12-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Anyone know of a documented '70 L89 Coupe?

Mr70
12-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Yes,& Owner says he will not sell,as I have tried many times.I call him monthly.He sends me pix and Docs....

GaryH
12-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I like this place! I grew up in a GM family and my dad and I both worked for a local dealer. Anyway, I've been watching this thread intently. mr70, what color is the L89 you know about? The reason I ask is, my dad had one for a demo for a few weeks and I always wondered what happened to the car. You won't believe the options it had. IIRC, PS, PB, PW, PL, console, 4spd, light monitoring, 8 track, flapper hood, L89 396-375. It was blue with black stripes and a back vinyl. I tried to get the VIN from the local dealer a few weeks ago but their records are gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. It was originally an "officials" car. It came to the dealer with a few thousand miles on it. I wasn't old enough to drive at the time but that car was my favorite of all the muscle cars that were around back then. Has anyone seen this car?

camarojoe
12-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Welcome Gary! I see from your profile (Yes bossmen, he filled it out!) that the dealership you are referring to is Tom Henry in Bakerstown PA... Did you talk to Tom Jr, or Sr? Tom Jr. is in avid enthusiast and I bet he'd be willing to try to track down any info for you he could, and Tom Sr. may even remember the car! We do the Keystone Camaro Club car show there each summer, the Henrys are very accomodating sponsors and put on a great show. This Chevelle you speak of would definitely be a cool PA. car to try to track down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

GaryH
12-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Yes Joe, I talked to Jr. He remembers the car and he drove it for a while too. He didn't remember the L89 part of it though. It was passed around the dealership for a short period and then sold. I know the show you are referring to and I had my Camaro in that show a few years back and took home a trophy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Supercar_Kid
12-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Welcome Gary. It's good to have another Pittsburgher on the board. I know what happened to your car...old man winter got it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K, I'd love to know more about it myself. I love to hear about real Chevy muscle that used to roam the streets of my "stompin' grounds." You or your dad ever remember any Yenko cars terrorizing the streets locally?

Pantera
12-16-2003, 02:29 AM
Hell ED....

You would be happy if anything showed up in your driveway.... besides your Jeep.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

55chevy
12-16-2003, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell ED....

You would be happy if anything showed up in your driveway.... besides your Jeep.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr70
12-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Welcome Gary.
The L78/L89 I am speaking of is not Blue,and never has been to my knowledge.I assume your Dads was the Lighter code #25 Astro Blue,as the Darker code #28,Fathom Blue,was not available with Black Stripes.Astro was either stripe color.
I have Heard of this Tom Henry Chevelle referenced in the past,a few times.
Amazing Options on that L89.
Can you find any paper or Insurance records on that Chevelle? A VIN# would sure help!
Rick

GaryH
12-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys! Rick, I don't know where else to go to find any more info on this car. The last time any of us remember seeing it, was not to long after it left the dealership. The kid that bought it blew the rear end out of it and Henry's repaired it under warranty. According to Tom, all those records are no longer around. I remember the warranty deal because the kids mom must have chewed my dad for selling a defective product. We all knew what really happened though. Side stepping the clutch tends to break stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif If my dad was still around he might be able to help as he knew a lot of folks at GM. I'm open for suggestions as to where to go from here. Like supercar kid said, these PA winters probably destroyed it by now but you never know. You say you heard of it being referenced before? Can you give us any more details on that? Not that I could afford to buy it if I found it!