PDA

View Full Version : Problem: SBC Dist Install

rpoz11
12-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi! Was installing my rebuilt dist into my 400 SBC and I have the oil drive shaft properly located but I cant get the dist to meet the Intake Manifold with the Dist's base collar! I have tried another GM points dist that I have laying around and the results are the same. I climbed on in and double checked the slot direction and I know I have it right as I can feel it catch when it meets the Cam gear/Dist gear but it wont completely meet the Intake! Help... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JoeC
12-14-2003, 10:14 PM
try using a big screwdriver to turn the oil pump drive shaft. It may not be seated on the oil pump.

rpoz11
12-14-2003, 10:20 PM
I thought of that but I am using the Melling M55HV pump along with the correct Melling I55E drive. When I install that drive, the steel collar only allows it to go on one way or I couldnt get it to seat on the Main cap. I did thogh spin it around a few times...I just have a small feeling that this was misboxed. I have spun it around and even installed 180* out to double check this...Im still not meeting the Intake base! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

rpoz11
12-14-2003, 10:24 PM
HHmmmm; I wonder...the thought you are offering, I installed this on the engine stand, spinning the engine around to do final assembly work. Is there enough room left for it to fall when I have the motor upside down on the eng stand? Maybe this is the problem Im encountering?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

budnate
12-14-2003, 11:16 PM
It may feal like its hitting shaft corectly?? after you have it in, roll the motor over a little usually after the dist rotates about halfway around everything lines up and it will drop all the way in, then bring around to TDC again and make sure you are not off a tooth on the cam in relation to your fireing order.

Bud.

Charley Lillard
12-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Usually you can pull the dist up just enough to free the dist cam gear and rotate it a bit then drop it. Do it a few time and usually it will drop , giving you a idea which way to turn the oil pump with the screwdriver.

lowmile
12-15-2003, 12:43 AM
How far is it off? Have your heads,intake or block been milled?

rpoz11
12-15-2003, 02:34 AM
Heads are new aluminum Trick Flows, no decking as the deck was fine, and the Intake is virgin GM Ill give Charlie's idea a try...must just be a tight fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Keith Tedford
12-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Saw a guy once trying unsuccessfully to get his distributor to bottom out. He had the gear installed end for end. No can do. Just a thought.