PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!!!!!!

hvychev
12-15-2003, 01:46 AM
<font color="red">GUYS I AM HAVING SERIOUS COMPUTER PROBLEMS!!! </font>

For the last week I have been infested with pop ups. I have a Gateway computer running Windows ME, AOL, and Comcast broadband high speed internet access. As soon as I make the connection to the internet I start getting pop ups like crazy. A few times the computer actually shut down because it was overloaded. I called Gateway and they could not help me because they said that it is a software problem and not a computer problem. I also called AOL and they TOO could not help me since they said that the problem is not AOL related. The guy DID suggect that I run the Spy Bot Search and Destroy Program and the Adware Program that were in the keyword section of AOL. I did this and it showed up like 140 things that were bad in the computer. I got rid of some of them but some can't be gotten rid of because they are in memory from what the computer says. I also went into the files and programs section of My Computer and deleted them by hand. They KEEP coming back!

Any computer expert PLEASE help me!!

jfkheat
12-15-2003, 01:55 AM
You might want to install a pop up blocker. There are quite a few free ones you can install. Here is a link to one. You can also go to KEYWORD "pop up" and make sure the SUPPRESS POP UPS box is checked.
Jame s
http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html

hvychev
12-15-2003, 03:42 AM
James thank you I already installed it but still have problem....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rob thank you for all your help offline!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif We are working on it.

Stitch
12-15-2003, 10:27 PM
Did you check for updates for AdAware and Spybot ? , if Spybot detects anything that is in use by the memory it usually prompts you for an OK to let it run next time you boot up , it can then remove the offending trojans and spyware before Windows has fully loaded .

Norm reynolds
12-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Frank
Do you have a fire wall with todayís p/cs you have to stay on top of a lot of things
I run Zone alarm pro it has a real good po-up stopper it al so has a cache cleaner
I run adaware 6 once a week and up date it I also run spywareblaster Its free
After you clean up with ad ñware set up spy-wareblaster stops spyware getting in to your p/c also if you are runnig internet explorer you might what to to go to internet options and delete cookies and delete files there might be something there causing your problem
And are you up dating your anttivirus
there is a web site I always go to to learn whats new
its www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com)

55chevy
12-16-2003, 04:13 AM
Sounds like you have some kind of trojan horse virus dude. you may need to wipe the hard drive clean and reload your operating system and everything else. Thats what I had to do a while back. If you do start over, I suggest installing Zone Alarm and the ad-ware programs you already know about. And get a good Anti-virus software too. I use Norton. Good luck man. Ain't computers fun?

Denis
12-16-2003, 05:45 PM
Four-step recovery:

1. Try running msconfig (Start-&gt;Run...-&gt;msconfig.exe). Select the "Startup" tab when the program comes up. What is displayed are all of the programs and services that run automatically 'behind your back' when you start up your computer. Uncheck everything that looks even remotely suspicious or unnecessary (like anything from Real Networks), then restart your computer. If something really obvious is missing, like your taskbar, you can run msconfig again and turn that service back on.

By the way, this is also a great way to speed up your computer.

2. Download &amp; install ZoneAlarm firewall. You can download it for free from hundreds of sites on the web. I usually get my utilities from www.zdnet.com. (http://www.zdnet.com.) Once ZoneAlarm is running, you'll start getting all sorts of requests for access to the Internet, from hidden programs you never heard of. I suggest saying "No" when ZoneAlarm prompts you to let the programs through. Eventually you will learn which ones need Internet access (like your browser and email programs), and you can tell ZoneAlarm to let them through without asking every time.

3. Run an up-to-date virus scanning program. McAfee has a free one called FreeScan at us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9059.

4. Use the Control Panel to remove any popup blocking utilities you may have and install the Google toolbar (toolbar.google.com). Google combines a killer search tool with a killer popup blocker and more, all on your browser's toolbar.

If your problems persist, system files may be compromised in which case you will need to boot from a floppy and reinstall Windows.

Pantera
12-16-2003, 09:10 PM
How can I reset my default settings to make it look at the correct directory everytime I try to upload a pic to send to someone. it always opens in c:/programs/netscape or something like that and is always set for html. which I would perfer it to be set for .jpg

TIA if you know how.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Belair62
12-17-2003, 12:46 AM
GET THE SPYBOT SOFTWARE....you will crap yourself when you see what is embedded in your PC...the pop=ups will stop...

MLK327GA
12-18-2003, 08:01 AM
I'VE HAD GREAT LUCK WITH

http://www.stopzilla.com/site/download_select.asp?AID=10004&amp;S=1&amp;type=SEDL&amp;topic= &amp;source=&amp;cid=&amp;SID=659815366-200317-12-8-35-39&amp;AAID=&amp;dre=

Chevy454
12-19-2003, 01:36 AM
Any luck, Frank? After I got off the phone with you the other night I did some looking into those URL's you gave me. When I awoke the next morning all heck was breaking loose on the computer, and I'm just now getting it back to normal. What a PITA.

hvychev
12-19-2003, 06:46 AM
Oh man.......I am sorry Rob. I got you infected as well. Man I am spreading the disease! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif