PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Bogus Yenko Deuce tach on Ebay

bkhpah
12-19-2003, 01:05 AM
Did anyone see the Deuce hood tach for sale on ebay. It sold for 875.00. It's silly bogus. I hope a board member didn't buy this turd...BKH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MotownMadman
12-19-2003, 01:55 AM
I was the first to bid at $150 as that is all I figured a repro to be worth.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

NCGuy68
12-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Yet another Ebay folly....will it ever end?

Allen
12-19-2003, 03:18 AM
What made it a reproduction, or indicated that it was one?

Please educate the masses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

Supercar_Kid
12-19-2003, 03:25 AM
It wasn't a repro tach, it just had a homemade Yenko crest affixed to it. Looked like a photocopied piece of paper glued on there to me. Didn't resemble a real Yenko silkscreen in any way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I can't seem to get the link posting function to work for some reason, perhaps because you have to be signed into ebay now to view completed auctions, but for anyone interested in seeing it, it was ebay item #2448298322. If you just paid $875 for this tach, well...here's your sign.

bkhpah
12-19-2003, 03:50 AM
Good way to describe it Kid. The originals were a white silksreen. I hope the new proud owner gets his money back if he thought he bought a genny...BKH

55chevy
12-19-2003, 04:02 AM
OMG!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif It look's like a piece of standard printer paper bw print out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif And trimmed out by a 3rd grader /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif I wonder if it was affixed using an Elmers Glue Stick as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif $875 well spent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Allen
12-19-2003, 04:15 AM
I figured the decal looked funky, but aside from that, isn't it the original style hood tach that was used?

I've watched several sell for decent dollars..... an NOS Dixco one, and various used ones of the same shape and design that didn't have any logos or stickers on there.

In this instance, isn't it the same tach that was used on Yenko Novas? (Ignoring the fact that it looks like someone put a Yenko sticker on it).

camarojoe
12-19-2003, 05:03 AM
Yes Allen, it WAS a genuine Dixco tach, and even had the right 8000 rpm face on it... it was just the idea of the photocopied yenko nameplate on it that made it funny, and sad all at the same time. And you're right, I've seen these sell for alot of cash before this one too...(heck, I've PAID alot of cash for them!) I have an NOS HT/x on ebay right now actually, but you'll have to make your own photocopied Yenko crest for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Supercar_Kid
12-19-2003, 05:13 AM
It appears to be a legit Dixco HT/x unit, and yes this is the same tachometer Yenko installed on the '70 Deuces, but the over the counter versions had an HT/x logo silkscreened on the faceplate as opposed to the Yenko crest used by Yenko. These tachs were available in a number of configurations, and were commissioned by several outside companies. You'll see them with facepleate logos including a Mopar parts logo as sold in "hustle stuff" catalogs, a Ford oval that was an over the counter dealer item for the BOSS 302, and even J.C. Penney "el Tigre" logo tach was available through their mail order catalog, not to mention Yenko's custom ordered B&W Yenko crest tachs. These tachs are certainly rare, and quite valuable in their own right, regardless of their faceplate logo, but I think the matter at hand here is a clear misleading of bidders, suggesting that this is one of the original Yenko installed Deuce tachs, which it in fact is not. Not to say that the tach isn't a valuable piece, just not nearly as valuable as the seller would have you think with his misleading description and obvious deceptive techniques. Ebay is buyer beware, you need to know your parts before plunking down silly cake for a potentially phoney item, which is exactly what happened here IMHO.

MotownMadman
12-19-2003, 12:02 PM
After I placed the first bid of $150 I emailed the seller to find out what it would take to end the auction, his response was $400. I would guess that even he was surprised at what it sold for. I was tempted to buy it as I have an original Yenko tach, but only the housing and face plate with the internal mechanisims missing. It is hard to say if he was being honest or not considering his auction, but he said he wanted $400 as that is what he had paid. Ebay does have a lot of honest sellers as well as many hard to find items sometimes at good prices, it is a shame that situations as this one give all Ebay sellers a bad reputation. But, as stated so well already in this thread, buyer beware.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Allen
12-19-2003, 12:27 PM
This one is an interesting topic.

I re-read the auction description. Here it is below:

"Up for auction is a nova hood tach. I was told for a nova. It says YENKO on the face of tach. I took apart so I can take pic`s of tach inner parts. Everything looks good and clean. Houseing not cracked or broken. Numbers and lines are good and visable. I don`t know what its worth, But this will be no reserve auction. Never tested.Selling AS-IS. Look at pic`s and if you have any questions feel free to email me. A money order will be due in 6 days after auction. Item will cost $10 for insur. and ship. Thanks Rick "

It doesn't appear to me that he is trying to mislead anyone. It's a tach, it says Yenko on the front. It sounds like he really didn't have a clue overall, nor try anything intentionally deceiving.

Now, if it had been spun up as a "super rare yenko hood tach that came from 1 of 176 Yenko Novas..... real deal.... restore your supercar with this original piece.... blah blah blah", then I'd see it differently.

Regardless of all that, if it is the correct style for a Deuce, then it should still be a neat part for someone to have. I'll give the seller the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Supercar_Kid
12-19-2003, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These tachs are certainly rare, and quite valuable in their own right, regardless of their faceplate logo, but I think the matter at hand here is a clear misleading of bidders, suggesting that this is one of the original Yenko installed Deuce tachs, which it in fact is not.

[/ QUOTE ] Please allow me to rephrase. I agree with you Allen, given the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the seller was as ignorant to what he was selling as the bidders were to what they were buying. I think my comment should be directed to whomever took the time to cut out and glue that Yenko logo on the tach. If that isn't a clear example of someone trying to make a quick buck off of someone who doesn't know any better, I don't know what is. I personally don't often give the seller the benefit of the doubt, if I did I'd get ripped off a lot. "Playing dumb" is a tactic many ebay sellers have employed in the past, but it is quite possible that in this instance the seller wasn't "playing." Either way, it's unfortunate if the buyer thought he was getting a legitmate Yenko installed part, whether the seller knew it or not. In this case the bidder may have paid dearly for his lack of knowledge on the part, but if he knew it was an over the counter tach with a homemade Yenko logo, and still bid $875, well then I've got some beachfront property in Pittsburgh he may be interested in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

JoeC
12-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Looks like another ìEbay Gone Wildî auction. I put Yenko memorabilia items on ebay and sometimes there are no bids other times it goes 3 or 4 times the starting price for same items. I guess thatís just the way an auction works.
I read in the news that some Star Wars fan paid $35,000 for a Stormtrooper helmet that was used in "The Empire Strikes Back." Ebay Gone Wild /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

copo9566aa
12-19-2003, 06:29 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ultra Bogus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif
The next after Ultra Bogus = Extreme Bogus ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Isn't there a videotape about something gone wild?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif