PDA

View Full Version : 69 Chevevelle question, help please

macs69
02-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Hello! I have a 1969 Chevelle that I recently purchased. Ran the cowl tag, and the car is a 61 upper/lower paint car, which is burnished brown. It's now painted red, with a black interior. The original interior was parchment, with a bench seat. Original big block, four speed car. I bought it with a 454/425 crate motor in it. The car had been raced quite a bit, and the guy I bought it from stated that it had a 427 in it before the 454 (he had bought it from the prior owner with the 454 already installed, and had only owned it for about 8 months). The car has a SS hood and badging, but that was probably done when it was painted red. Can't tell if it had a tach or not, has a Autometer tach in place of the original. It now has a turbo 400, and the original 4 speed is gone.
The statement about the 427, and the fact that the car has a "KQ" coded rear makes me suspicious. Is there any way to verify if it is a COPO Chevelle by providing vin number or cowl tag info on here? I searched for the build sheet under the back seat, but no luck.

COPO PETE
02-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Can you described the interior to me???? As in, what steering wheel does it have???? What door panels does it have????? Most COPO's still have the build sheet under the back seat. Have you looked????
Peter

macs69
02-06-2004, 05:32 PM
The original door panels are gone. It was converted, a couple owners ago from a parchment bench interior to black interior with buckets. I'm not sure if the back seat is the original parchment one that was recovered, or if it's a seat from a different car. Nonetheless, the build sheet isn't under it. When I pulled the back seat base up, there was red overspray on the floor from when it was painted. This leads me to believe that the car was completely gutted when the red paint job was done over the original burnished brown. The door panels are not the correct ones. They are black as well, and have SS emblems on them. The steering wheel is not the correct one, either, it's an aftermarket deal.
Wish I could be more helpful, but I think tracking the car back through a vin search would be the most productive. Getting information from previous owners could be very helpful.
If I provide my vin, or cowl tag info, does this help?

COPO PETE
02-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Won't hurt to list the vin and cowl info. We could at least see if it fell in the right time frame with others.
Peter

Jeff H
02-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Yes, provide the VIN, cowl tag and rear end date codes to help determine if the car falls in a certain range. If you don't want to post the VIN, that's up to you but it will help to try and ID the car.

macs69
02-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Cowl tag and vin are as follows. The rivet is over the build month, so can't tell what that is...

ST 69 13637 BAL175240BDY
TR 790 61 61 PNT
??A BL095366

Vin is 136379B333823

Jeff H
02-06-2004, 07:38 PM
VIN appears to be too early for a COPO or Yenko. The earliest Yenko is VIN 344xxx. What is the complete rear end code including the date?

macs69
02-06-2004, 07:58 PM
I'll post it as soon as I get to the car. It's stored in a friend's garage, and weather here is nasty.