PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER possible COPO

zoidberg
03-09-2004, 02:18 AM
Probably not, but it never hurts to ask. It's a 69 Chevelle, and here's the tag info.

ST 69 13637 BF 07559
TR 755 B80 57
11B 306373 620266

VIN is 136379Z315313

I have read on other posts here that the the earliest VIN 344XXX, and that no known COPOs were built in California, and my book indicates that this car WAS built in California, so it is probably what it appears to be, which is an SS396. It's in a junkyard now, so it doesn't even matter much. I'm just curious about the car, because I've known it since I was 8 years old, and it was just a ratty old street racer.

Belair62
03-09-2004, 04:20 AM
Zoid...I own a documented COPO Chevelle built in California Past Feature Car (http://www.yenko.net/features/2002/January2002.htm)

zoidberg
03-09-2004, 04:51 AM
Man, that's a sweet car. Hmmmm... Well, here's the deal on the car. It appears to be a 4-speed SS396. It has always been blue on black, but I discovered recently that it was originally dark green. I have known the car since I was 8, as I said. It had been passed around this area for years, finally being owned by a guy who was a Senior in high school when I was in junior high. When I bought my Road Runner, my senior year, my first race was against that Chevelle. The car was parked in 1997, and sold in 2002. The guy that bought it was going to restore it, until he let his girlfriend drive it, and she ran it off a bridge. It bent the hell out of the frame, and wrinkled the firewall. Now, by this point, I had gotten more interested in Chevys, and went to the yard it was in to look it over, partly out of curiosity, partly out of sadness. I had gotten attached to the old girl over the years. Anyway, I measured the fuel line, which ended up being a 3/8s. This made me think it might have been an L-78, not that it mattered, it was still too far gone to fix. But, I started doing some asking around about it, and here's where the COPO question comes in. I talked to a guy that owns a salvage yard just north of us, over the border in Nebraska, and he remembered the car, and how it ended up here. A local guy had bought the car in Topeka in '75 or '76. At the time, it had a blown 396 in it. Now, the yard owner tells me that Frank (the guy who owned the Chevelle) comes up and buys a 396 out of a junk SS396 he has sitting out there. So, I think, the original motor's long gone. I make an offhand remark about it being too bad about losing another SS396 this late in the game, you know, it made it this long, too bad it died. He looks at me and says, "That was no SS396, that was just a plain Chevelle." Apparently, he bought all the SS396 trim off the junk car, including the badges and interior pieces. Which is why I'm wondering what this car is. The rear end is currently in another Chevelle, but I had a chance to look at it yesterday. It is a 4.56:1, 12 bolt posi, coded KM. This confused me even more, because I thought all COPO rears are KQ. Like I said, I think the car is too far gone to save, regardless, but I'd just like to know what she was.