PDA

View Full Version : 1969 ZL1 CAMARO VIN LIST

sYc
03-24-2004, 08:13 PM
<table border="0" width="623" cellspacing="1" align="center"><tr><td width="100%" align="center"><font size="5" color="#808080">1969 ZL1 CAMARO INVENTORY</font></td></tr><tr><td width="100%" align="center"><p align="left"><font color="#808080" size="2">DISCLAIMER: The sYc is posting this info to the public to aid and assist in locating and verifying the listed Supercars. We make no warranties as to the correctness and cannot guarantee that these lists are complete. The info compiled here has come from some of the top experts in the hobby but should in no way be construed as Gospel. There are bound to be errors in a project this big but they will be corrected when they are discovered. Just because you find a car with a VIN that is on the list does not protect you from the chance that there has been a rebody or tags made up. These lists should aid you but should not be the sole reason you believe the vehicle to be a Supercar. Any reproduction of this information without written consent is prohibited. © Yenko Sportscar Club, 2004</font></td></tr><tr><td width="100%" align="center" height="1229"> http://www.yenko.net/attachments/background6.GIF </td></tr><tr><td width="100%" align="center"><p align="left"><font size="2" color="#808080">* ZL-1 exterior colors courtesy of COPO Connection</font></p></td></tr></table>

vancopo
12-24-2020, 02:58 PM
I've own car 124379n618522 for years which shows#45 zl1 . the car was in bad shape with sheet metal over dash and VW steering column. I've tryed reaching out to Dave hallman Chevy few times without any luck on any history .

luzl78
12-24-2020, 04:51 PM
Any original running gear?

William
12-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Old ad.

1969L89
12-24-2020, 08:31 PM
I've own car 124379n618522 for years which shows#45 zl1 . the car was in bad shape with sheet metal over dash and VW steering column. I've tryed reaching out to Dave hallman Chevy few times without any luck on any history .

Do you still have it? What kind of shape is the car in now? Any pics?

GMC_Typhoon
12-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Wow an unknown ZL-1. That's wild.

William
12-27-2020, 10:55 PM
That makes 50 known to exist, in a variety of forms.

vancopo
12-29-2020, 02:46 PM
No running gear was barely a body left

Mike
12-29-2020, 08:48 PM
Vancopo, I sent you a Private Message.

mrays
12-31-2020, 02:52 PM
Ed Cuneen had this car listed as a known car on his old COPO Connection website.

Charley Lillard
01-01-2021, 02:07 PM
Vancopo....Do you still have it ? Any pics ?

Charley Lillard
01-10-2023, 06:57 PM
# 61 on this list is listed as being white but it is selling at Barrett-Jackson as green. ??

Lynn
01-10-2023, 07:12 PM
61 was sold out of Oklahoma, and if my memory serves me right (big IF) it was originally white.

I am almost certain I have seen a picture of it on the showroom floor.

But.... CRG is showing Fathom Green.

William
01-10-2023, 08:54 PM
#61 was originally Fathom Green.

Charley Lillard
01-11-2023, 12:48 AM
I wonder where the white came from.

William
01-11-2023, 01:45 AM
It is listed as being white in the May 1994 edition of the COPO Connection registry.

During restoration in 2007 it became obvious it was originally green, subsequently verified by its original owner.

Charley Lillard
01-11-2023, 12:47 PM
Does it have it's orig. trim tag ?

William
01-11-2023, 01:18 PM
It was a modified drag car nearly since new, original tag gone.

Lynn
01-11-2023, 03:16 PM
So it was painted white at some point?

Tell me I am not dreaming.

William
01-11-2023, 03:29 PM
No, it won't. They have had all the ZL-1 auction data needed for a decision for over six months. They just don't like it.

I have unfortunately become involved. I provided auction results for dozens of ZL-1s dating back over 15 years. In that time ONE ZL-1 Camaro auctioned over $1m and that was #59 AFTER it re-acquired its original engine. It hammered for $995,000; the buyers commission pushed it over the top. It could be said it did not sell for $1m.

The investigator ignores figures that don't agree with his narrative. The very same car sold at B-J 2018 for $770,000 when it did not have its original engine.
Another comparable sale was nom ZL-1 #60 at Mecum Kissimmee 2021; hammered for $750,000. That's a great recent example that has once again been ignored.

No genius-level investigation needed; all easily available public knowledge.

#61 will be just another data point added to the dozens they already have. If hits the number, they will use it. If it does not, they will ignore it.

RPOLS3
01-11-2023, 04:09 PM
Link to listing on B-J site:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-ZL1-261819

Lynn
01-11-2023, 04:29 PM
Looks like BJ is adding this notice at the bottom of EVERY auction item, even later model cars.

**VIN NOTICE: DEPENDING ON THE STATE OF REGISTRATION OF THE BUYER, THE VEHICLE MAY REQUIRE AN INSPECTION AND BE SUBJECT TO A STATE-ISSUED VIN AND/OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS OF THAT STATE.**

Charley Lillard
01-11-2023, 06:03 PM
Sounds like it was a old drag car painted white. Would love to see the report on it.

Charley Lillard
01-13-2023, 12:25 AM
Here is the JM report on ZL1 # 61. Being a old drag car with the firewall cut one would think there would be mention of the trim tag and hidden vins. I deleted the top of the main page for privacy.

Charley Lillard
01-13-2023, 12:29 AM
Here is the supposed original block that has since been found and installed.

William
01-13-2023, 06:20 PM
The consignor should change their description.

"Numbers matching" is confusing and often interpreted as not the original engine.

bergy
01-13-2023, 06:56 PM
Maybe the consignor isn't positive that the engine that was found is the original engine? Can't pin down the chain of ownership of the engine? In any case, William is obviously correct - the facts behind the car/engine reunion should be added to the description.

William
01-13-2023, 07:53 PM
Maybe the consignor isn't positive that the engine that was found is the original engine?

Well, that could depend on who found it.

Steve Shauger
01-13-2023, 09:00 PM
The car has been certified, and the trim tag info is documented. Usually it is stated; this is the original trim tag, and I don't see that in the report. Since the car had firewall issues, the question about hidden VIN's is critical.

JoeC
01-16-2023, 05:21 PM
I keep a file on the ZL-1 race cars. This is an old screen shot I saved on #61 where they said it was an old sand drag car

Keith Seymore
01-16-2023, 07:26 PM
I keep a file on the ZL-1 race cars. This is an old screen shot I saved on #61 where they said it was an old sand drag car

My goodness, how the mighty have/had fallen.

At least they didn't cut it up and make a pullin' tractor out of it.

K

olredalert
01-16-2023, 09:10 PM
----You just can't make that up!.....Bill S

JoeC
01-17-2023, 02:44 PM
some ZL-1s got it worse then that. At least one was said to be " berried alive " in an insurance fraud deal.

A few others were reported stolen.

Lynn
01-17-2023, 03:14 PM
And then there is the guy in Canada that got "air titles" for 5 of the missing ZL1s, excuse me ZedL1s.

Charley Lillard
01-19-2023, 12:44 PM
Updated auction description on # 61.

lycan
01-28-2023, 10:16 PM
Updated auction description on # 61.
Hammered at $700K

61 vert
01-29-2023, 04:47 PM
Could be a law suit in the works. Craig Jackson stated it was the original motor but I had not heard that it truly had been found." Jerry Macneish certified "does not mean the motor was certified to be original to the car unless he specifically states that. Without seeing the macneish report it is irresponsible to assume anything other than that this cars cowl has VIN numbers that are on the Cunneen ZL1 list. This VIN is on the list as a Dover White non spoiler car, but evidently there is a problem as it is Fathom Green. Wait, Barrett Jackson says repo trim tag, so what color was this ZL1 when new? Maybe donor sheet metal was of a fathom green car so assumptions were made? Is there any 1st or second owner information available? and what about the spoilers, D80 or not? I would appreciate any accurate input if anyone wants to share as I am only speculating.

Charley Lillard
01-29-2023, 05:24 PM
I think William stated when it was torn down for resto it was found to be green. I looked thru the cowl and there was no hidden vin. Since it didn't have a trim tag due to the firewall being cut out for racing I wonder how Jerry came up with the body # and trim tag details since there was no tag. I was told that someone with multiple images of other ZL1 engine stamps that the one on this one is different so I assume someone found a correct block and stamped it. My opinion is a ZL1 Camaro is a different breed of Chevy because they are documented by their vin's. I don't add as much value as some others if it has it's orig. engine or not. I would rather have a good color 4 speed with the wrong engine than a column shift auto with it's orig. engine. It apparently does have it's orig. vin tag with orig. rivets so I think it is still a car worth restoring even with all the undisclosed issues.

Stefano
01-29-2023, 06:01 PM
Congrats to both the buyer and the seller.

The individuals who tracked and found ZL1 number #61 are here on this site, but do not post often. So if they choose to add or correct any of the info provide , I would defer to their info, as that is where I got it from.

I did not see the physical car itself, in person. I was contacted when the car was “found” many years ago. It had owner and racing history and only the public riveted vin. No trim tag and no secondary VINs. The complete firewall had been cut out.

As far as establishing a body number, it would be relatively easy to guess based on the tags of other ZL1s as well as the existing CRG data base, if someone had access to that info.

The original engine was not with the car when found it was purportedly added / reunited during the restoration.

William
01-29-2023, 06:37 PM
The highest verified ZL-1 body number is on #60; #326262. They just used the next higher number. VIN tag looked fine to me.

It was definitely Fathom green, lots of original paint found during the resto. Was not built with D80. Lid flunked the close test, both rods were the same size.

As for the engine, all lots are sold as described by their consignor. The block has a matching VIN. The car got a lot of attention and attracted strong bidding. The resto is over 15 years old and looked great.

Have had a few questions about ZL-1 #68, owned by Craig Jackson since the '80s. Saw him in the main exhibit hall Friday morning and asked him about it. Couldn't have been nicer. Pulled out his phone, showed me pics of the restoration and the docs. He mentioned the controversy over its original straight-neck radiator. Told him it is unusual but there are a very few other COPOs with one, including a car within a day or so of his.

Charley Lillard
01-29-2023, 09:36 PM
William does the vin stamp on the block match other orig. ones you have seen ?

61 vert
01-29-2023, 10:32 PM
Thanks for clearing up a few things but still a few unknowns on #61.

TarheelRyan
01-29-2023, 10:36 PM
I was bidder #2 on this car and took it up to $675k. I spent over a month digging into its history and was comfortable enough to pay up to $750k for it. With the 10% buyer's premium, the $700k bid knocked me out. A couple members on this site went out of their way to help me and and I cannot say enough how thankful I am for their assistance. The car has its faults as it was rode hard and put up wet back in the day, but it is still 1 of the 69 ZL1 Camaros. Congratulations to the new buyer as it is a beautiful car and was the star at Barrett Jackson! If the buyer happens to be on this site, please send me a private message as I have some documentation on the car I found that I would like to share with you. If there are any ZL1 owners out there looking to part ways with their car, let me know as my ZL1 search continues...

iluv69s
01-30-2023, 10:02 AM
This car is Not one of the first 50, só How is it possible to know the body Number? Since They have little correlation to the VIN.

BtW, Without checking fonts or spacing of individual numbers, The Block VIN stamp posted looks very similar to my old #34 ZL-1 original Block VIN stamp. I have in my database photos of original blocks stamped with the VIN on the deck,( no gang stamp) but mine and others are by the oil filter , similar to this one.

William
01-30-2023, 01:17 PM
That is actually the dealer order confirmation number. It is not possible to determine the number based on a cars' build configuration. When the reproduction body tag was ordered they simply used the next highest number. I recall being asked about it when the car went into restoration; I may have advised they do that.

Odd ZL-1 fact: the lowest body number is Berger ZL-1 #3 #211785. A Berger L72 COPO is #211786.

Had two lengthy phone conversations with Jerry Huffman a few years ago. They were a high-performance dealership in Farmington, IL. For years we have thought it was a wonderful coincidence that Chevy built 69 1969 ZL-1 Camaros but it was not. Jerry told me Central Office contacted their dealership to see if they were interested in ordering a ZL-1 Camaro. They had decided to end the program at 69 units and needed to build 17 additional cars, possibly to consume engine production. So, they [foolishly] ordered two cars [#66 & #67] without knowing the option MSRP. The cars were a headache for the dealership; that's a story for another day.

Last ZL-1 was built June 3, 1969.

William
01-30-2023, 01:37 PM
This car is Not one of the first 50, só How is it possible to know the body Number? Since They have little correlation to the VIN.

BtW, Without checking fonts or spacing of individual numbers, The Block VIN stamp posted looks very similar to my old #34 ZL-1 original Block VIN stamp. I have in my database photos of original blocks stamped with the VIN on the deck,( no gang stamp) but mine and others are by the oil filter , similar to this one.

That's interesting. #34 [N610899] was final-assembled March 7, 1969. It's fairly common knowledge the VIN stamp dies and possibly the holder were changed in production at Norwood April '69. The con VIN on the block for #34 would be clearly different than the block stamping on a car built May 14, 1969.

JoeC
01-30-2023, 02:27 PM
In an 2011 article, Craig Jackson talked about buying his ZL-1 #68 in 1988

This article said the ZL-1 is a $1M car

$1M in 2011 is about $1.3M in 2023

changed it

Stefano
01-30-2023, 06:09 PM
2030......I have lost a lot of time.

Stefano
01-30-2023, 06:15 PM

Your old ZL1 #34 is here in a collection in Chicago Land. Let me know if your ever in our neighbor hood and want to reunite. No it is not for sale.

iluv69s
01-30-2023, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the offer.. I sure will let you know whenever I am in the área só I can take her for a spin !!

iluv69s
01-30-2023, 08:26 PM
That's interesting. #34 [N610899] was final-assembled March 7, 1969. It's fairly common knowledge the VIN stamp dies and possibly the holder were changed in production at Norwood April '69. The con VIN on the block for #34 would be clearly different than the block stamping on a car built May 14, 1969.

No clue of originality on the car in this thread, and no clue of date of VIN change of ZL-1s.

But, one thing I know for certain. The 100% ORIGINAL VIN on my block #34 is by the oil filter.

1969ZL1
08-15-2023, 03:36 AM
Does it have it's orig. trim tag ?
According to the info contained in image 123 on page 1 of this thread it states:
Trim Plate data: Build Date: 05A, Paint Code: 57-57 [Fathom Green], Option Codes: X44, NOR # 292794, Trim Code: 711.
However that doesn't mean it has it's orig. trim tag.
In the info of image 123 it states:
Documentation: ZL1 #61, original ordering and selling dealership: Seltzer Chevrolet Yucon OK. Well that means there must be some documentation with that information existing somewhere - otherwise such 'documentation' is not documentation at all...is it. Real documentation is physical documentation not made up info. For me documentation is paper verification, however for others it could mean photographs...Each to their own interpretation to what documentation is I guess. I really like member 'William's quote: 'Learning more and more about less and less. And I have always rated you Charley Lillard - if anyone here on The Supercar Registry is genuine, authentic, honest, trustworthy, and an encyclopedia on COPO Camaros it is you.

tjs44
08-15-2023, 02:51 PM
I think #64 was bought new by Bill Turner in Ft Myers FLA,when I saw it had a repaint in Silver,engine had been pulled and stored and the car raced with a dif engine.Dont remember when he sold it.Bill is alive and well in FLA.FWIW,Tom

JoeC
08-17-2023, 01:43 PM
ZL-1 # 64 was the "Aluminum Rat " Ft Myers FL

William
08-17-2023, 07:43 PM
ZL-1 #4 NHRA NE Division, 1970.

JoeC
08-19-2023, 09:31 AM
ZL-1 #4 Hauser Camaro

tjs44
08-19-2023, 09:36 PM
That’s it,Bill Turner.Tom

ELVIS
12-07-2023, 06:15 AM
Hi all. I would just like to say that I have what is left of a heavily crashed ZL1 that has sat hidden away in a loft, covered with dust and bird crap for many decades. All the good bits were long ago pirated, hence I have zero intention of trying to recreate a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear'. The important part, the body number tag is still riveted on (albeit with a bit of a twist in that area, and it may take some careful work to get it straight again). I intend to restomod the remains, and it will never be put up for sale as some super desirable collector item ZL1. It is a sh-tbox that will be rebuilt with as many new panels as I can throw at it, and also some upgrades to the brakes and suspension. Engine wise, big block aftermarket aluminum blocks can be found, but it will never have a ZL1 number on it. I am still going to use an OEM front clip and not go to some full chassis type restomod. What will it be worth in the end? I do not care, it is a keeper and will be used by me as a regular driver, not locked away in a display cabinet.

R68GTO
12-07-2023, 09:30 AM
Helluva 1st post. Welcome to the site. Your inbox will get lit up in a hurry. Regardless of your intent for restoration, please support the hobby by sharing pics and info so the car can be properly documented. Awesome find, I look forward to more info!
Jim

bergy
12-07-2023, 11:29 AM
Sounds unbelievable

Big Block Bill
12-07-2023, 01:03 PM
At this point, with out pictures, it Probably is.

big gear head
12-07-2023, 02:36 PM
Hi all. I would just like to say that I have what is left of a heavily crashed ZL1 that has sat hidden away in a loft, covered with dust and bird crap for many decades. All the good bits were long ago pirated, hence I have zero intention of trying to recreate a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear'. The important part, the body number tag is still riveted on (albeit with a bit of a twist in that area, and it may take some careful work to get it straight again). I intend to restomod the remains, and it will never be put up for sale as some super desirable collector item ZL1. It is a sh-tbox that will be rebuilt with as many new panels as I can throw at it, and also some upgrades to the brakes and suspension. Engine wise, big block aftermarket aluminum blocks can be found, but it will never have a ZL1 number on it. I am still going to use an OEM front clip and not go to some full chassis type restomod. What will it be worth in the end? I do not care, it is a keeper and will be used by me as a regular driver, not locked away in a display cabinet.

If you will post pictures of the VIN tag, firewall area around the wiring bulkhead and hidden VIN on the firewall and cowl it will help verify that the car is a ZL1, and it will help the community to document the car and prevent scammers from claiming that they have it.

GMC_Typhoon
12-07-2023, 10:21 PM
Motown Madman part 2.

Mr70
12-08-2023, 01:14 AM
LOL Typhoon...Oh no you didn't.

GMC_Typhoon
12-08-2023, 01:32 AM
LOL Typhoon...Oh no you didn't.
Same guy goes to all the rare websites username Elvis something,big hat no cattle.

Kurt S
12-08-2023, 03:15 AM
What car #?

CamarosRus
12-08-2023, 05:27 AM
#27 As bought from Dick Tutino

useless tony
12-08-2023, 03:42 PM
I think this story might actually be legit. If his Camaro is the one parked above my friends 1972 427 SOHC Cuda convert with factory bench and three on the tree, purchased new in 1967 by my neighbors father ... well then, it must be true ;)

iluv69s
12-10-2023, 09:20 AM
Is this the same guy that pulled the hemi out of the river with his Zl-1 powered tow truck?

Can anyone find that old thread? I need a good laugh

Danzo
12-28-2023, 10:21 PM
#9 coming to auction 124379N608879

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-ZL1-271809

RPOLS3
12-28-2023, 11:23 PM
#9 coming to auction 124379N608879

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-ZL1-271809

"A GM factory-assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this car's long-term drag-race history."

Danzo
12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Check out Craig Jackson's "description" of #9 LOL. Starts at 1:50 of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hieHsQaNbsg
Doc

lycan
01-02-2024, 03:17 AM
Check out Craig Jackson's "description" of #9 LOL. Starts at 1:50 of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hieHsQaNbsg
Doc
"... packing the original COPO ZL1 all aluminum 427 engine"

not "an original COPO ZL1 all-aluminum 427 engine"
not "a period-correct COPO ZL1 all-aluminum 427 engine"

but "THE original COPO ZL1 all-aluminum engine"

??

iluv69s
01-03-2024, 08:04 PM

You guys may have thought I was kidding when I asked if this is the same guy that posted about the ZL-1 found in a tow truck ( it was a dually) and the hemi pulled out of the river …. Well I found the thread . If you want a laugh, check this classic out .

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=95224