PDA

View Full Version : 69 Berger L89 camaro real or not?

Les Quam
05-02-2004, 11:43 PM
I just purchased a 69 camaro with the L89 option and the car came with a window sticker which purports to be sold from Berger Chevrolet. The VIN # is 124379N598968. Does anyone know of a way to verify the authenticity of this car?
I still have a chance to refuse the car or get a price reduction if I find out it's not correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr70
05-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Can you report what the engine suffix & build date are on the engine Pad behind the alternator?
Do the stampings appear to be original?
Not a litmus test by any means,but a good start.
Is it a fully Restored car?

Can you complete your Personal Profile as well...Thank You.

Charley Lillard
05-03-2004, 02:30 AM
Please fill out your Profile.

Les Quam
05-03-2004, 02:39 AM
It is a fully restored car. The car is still at the dealer.He indicates that the stampings appear original. But he like many of us have seen some very good restamps. He had the engine and date codes checked by someone who he trusts who knows camaro's who indicates that all the date codes are correct.The transmission is not correct for the car however. I can get the numbers tomorrow if it helps.

What I was wondering is if Berger kept records of the cars it sold? To determine if the monroney is genuine?
I filled out what I think is a personal profile but I am not sure what exactly you are looking for.

JChlupsa
05-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Post the Cowl tag also and we can see if they line up. Any pics of it at all by chance?

Les Quam
05-03-2004, 03:13 AM
With the exception of the transmission all the numbers and date codes match. However all that means is that it is real or restamped. Does anyone know if Berger still has records of the cars that were sold from the dealership. I don't have pictures yet. I flew in to the dealer to buy a 66 Shelby and also bought the camaro and I didn't take any pictures the car is being shipped this week.

Mr70
05-03-2004, 04:05 AM
I remember that very same question being asked on here within the last year.
Someone said that Berger replied to them:
"If I had known these cars were going to be this Valuable,I would have kept the cars,not the paperwork!".
No,I believe Berger does not have records of the cars they sold back then,today.

Les Quam
05-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Well said.

Salvatore
05-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Mr70, I am the guy! My 69 Z/28 has a BY BERGER emblem on the back. Berger has NO records that they can help me with. Good Luck!!!!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sYc
05-05-2004, 01:05 AM
I have visted with both Dale and Matt Berger about this, and both have told me that these records do not exist. Dale is the one who made the comment about "being smart" as a lady was chewing him out for not keeping the records

berger
05-05-2004, 02:04 AM
get your mso, they DO show trades as well. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Kurt S
05-06-2004, 08:49 AM
WS is not real. Cowl tag looks real (though it's not a great pic).
Beware.........

PATRICKJOINER
07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
i see wagners has a car fitting this description on their site, is this the same car? did it change hands from another dealer up north to wagners... if it's the same car, doesn't the trim tag & "window sticker" show a black std. interior & the car actually has deluxe interior??? may not be the same car....