PDA

View Full Version : Weekend car shows

sYc
06-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Just got back into town from attending a couple of car shows with the Dick Harrell funnycar. On Saturday was the AMCA Musclecar Show in Louisville, KY. Unfortunately rain was coming down most of the day, so I was only able to uncover the car for a couple of short periods of time, but was able to get enough sunshine to fire it once for a TV spot. There were about 500 other brave souls who braved the elements to attend and be judged. Hats off to Jeff and his crew for their hard work.

Sunday I was in Cincinnati for their 27th Annual Concours d'Elegance, held in the beautiful Ault Part. This event is the second oldest event of this type in the US, behind the Pebble Beach show. It is an invitational only show with about 180 cars invited each year. I knew I was out of my league when one of the first cars I saw was a Ferrari Dino, which raced at, and was a LeMans poster car, and is valued at over 18 million. There were several other Lemans cars, as well as everything from a Stanley Steamer to a new Ferrari Enzo, price $6-700,000. Plenty of Rolls, Mercedes, Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, musclecars of all types, motorcycles, a little bit of everything. The sYc was well represented with Dan McMichael showing a pair of Motion cars, Rayburn Pennington with his Manta Motion Corvette, and Bill Porterfield in his '69 ZL- DH/FG race car. With all of the rare and interesting cars there, many with racing history, I was surprised when I was asked to fire my car. Ended up doing it 5-6 times. The best part, and a first for me, the funnycar was awarded a first place ribbon and a crystal dish. Bill Sherman, Dave Synder and their team of over 600 volunteers do an exceptional job. And thanks to Roy Query for helping me move the car about.

Now back to work, and in a few days start getting get ready for the the York US30 Musclecar.

Jeff Murphy
06-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Excellent!! I think our kind of cars are getting at least an appreciation by the sports car cognoscenti. I just learned that they will have a class for classic altered drag cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed at the end of the month. I can easily see a class of late 60s/early 70s Super Stock cars coming next...