PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth VS Macomb Cruise Night

chevelle_ss_502
01-19-2005, 10:21 PM
I just saw in the Galeburg Register Mail paper that a person in Macomb has called several of the big names that go to the Monmouth cruise night and invited them to the macomb cruise night the very same night. I know there is several super car owners on this site that attend the monmouth event which runs along with the Fred Gibb Show held the following day in LaHarpe IL. I was just wondering if anyone here had heard of this taking place yet and wondered what the reasoning was behind trying to pull them away from the monmouth event. Here is a link to the article, http://www.register-mail.com/news/local/b5bg6phmgid.html

Andy

ORIGLS6
01-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Andy (and everyone else),

It's true. Steve Albert, the man behind the Monmouth Event preceeding the Gibb Show, is organizing the Macomb Cruise/Show on Friday Night, August 5th, 2005. Steve has the support of Western Illinois University, where the event will be held. WIU has reportedly offered space for 2800 cars on their campus at the North side of Macomb. Steve is working with the City and the University to pull this all together. Many of you may recall another cruise on Saturday night following the Gibb Show. That will also happen again this year and Steve is working with that group to assure there is no infringement on their show.
Many of us look forward to the Monmouth Cruise for a number of reasons; the small town setting reminiscent of the days we were growing up with the cars we cherish so much. Perhaps Steve or Mayor Ken Brown will jump in and give further details but, for now, mark your calendars for Friday and Saturday, August 5th and 6th to be in West Central Illinois for another Great Time with Great Cars and even Greater People!

Dennis

mayor_b
01-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Yes there will be 3 cruises that weekend. Monmouth is still having there cruise on the square in Monmouth. Steve Albert is having a cruise on the grounds at WIU the same night, and then the Macomb club is having a cool down cruise Sat. night on the square in Macomb after our show in LaHarpe. My only comment will be that I think all 3 will have fine cruises,but of coarse I will be really pushing for the show Sat. in LaHarpe, happy motoring, Ken http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

68TopStock
01-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Looks like things are getting complicated. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I think I will just go to the local track on the off night. Kim, were is that track thats about 30 miles from LaHarpe?

chevelle_ss_502
01-21-2005, 06:35 AM
That will be really great that they are bringing it to Macomb, only about 8 miles from me. I wonder why Mr. Albert is trying to pull some of the bigger names away from Monmouth and into Macomb? Has anyone talked to him about the reason?

Andy

salbertbowtie67
01-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey everyone, just wanted to tell everyone the reason for the move to Macomb. Kathy and I have been doing the cruise night for the past 5 years and every year it gets harder and harder to work with the city of Monmouth and trying to do everything by your self without any help, until the day of the show when people would want to take some credit for the success.This is the biggest reason for the move. Yes, Monmouth is still going to "ride the coattails" of past successes this year; however, we all know it is the foresight and planning that takes place ahead of time that truly makes an event successful. In previous years, we had everything approved for the event the November before it was scheduled to take place. So in my eyes, they are already three months behind and trying to make up for lost time.
Yes I have asked several of you car owners to join us in Macomb for this event, I know that is you guys, the car OWNERS that make an event work. Hope you can all make it to Macomb; I promise you a first class event! It is with the Gibb family's blessing that we are bringing this event to you, and we are thankful for their support. So for those of you who think this has become complicated, it's not. Macomb will host the cruise night on Friday, and the show will take place (as it always has) on Saturday.
Steve

salbertbowtie67
01-22-2005, 05:14 PM
To add about the "bigger name people coming to Macomb" question,these are contacts I have made throughout the years, and I believe there is a loyalty that exists there. I have gone the extra mile for them, not Monmouth. The Monmouth people, I guarantee, could not give you any contact information about them, let alone tell you what each VIP brings to the event. This is the last time I will make any comments regarding Monmouth vs. Macomb. From this point forward we're focusing on what the Fred Gibb Memorial Cruise Night in Macomb will feature and what you, the car owner, will bring to the event!

chevelle_ss_502
01-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Steve,

I hope you didnt take my post in the wrong context, I was only trying to find out why the move and what the reason behind it was. I think its terrific what you are doing actually and by bringing it to macomb it will be a great event as well. I am glad there are people like you out there to go the extra mile to help make these events happen.
It sounds like this is going to be a very good car weekend for the towns and i hope it will a ll be a big success. Living this close, if you need any help feel free to contact me.

Andy

salbertbowtie67
01-25-2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks Andy It's people like you that make it happen. SEE you in MACOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve