PDA

View Full Version : indian river 69 copo camaro questions

supercomp 8.90
04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
i was checking out the smaller dealers at copo.com and noticed that the indian river dealer at cocoa beach fl. received 20 copo camaros. i just wanted to know if it was all 1 batch?? i noticed that the vins that they show are all kind of close even the two zl1 vins that this dealer received, thanks guys for any help!! dave http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Vern B
04-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Dave

My X44 Hugger Orange car came from Indian River. The original owner of my car told me he went there to buy a 396/375 car and was totally unaware of the 427/425 cars. The salesman told him they were out of 396/375 cars , but had these 427/425 cars in the back. He ended up buying the HO car and a friend of his ended up buying a Lemans Blue car. Purchase date of the HO car was 5/16/69. He got his first ticket on the way home from the dealership. He sold it in 74 and it was raced fairly extensively, by two brothers, in the central Florida area from 74 to 84. His friend totalled the LB car two weeks after he took delivery.
He said there were two ZL 1's there at the time he bought the car. I believe he said one was red and the other was Cortez Silver. They sold the red one, not sure if they sold the silver one, or dealer transferred it. Personally don't know of any other cars from there. I think Ed C. has 20 down for them.

Vern Bauer

supercomp 8.90
04-28-2005, 04:04 PM
hi vern thanks for the help,i checked a vin to date list that i have and your car would fall in that vin area, also zl1 # 64 from that dealer was in ft. myers fl. only an hour from me up until about 1988 sitting in a storage area,needing restoration i did not know about it until years later after it had been sold, two yenkos also were found in the same area back in the 80s one was owned by tommy turner and the other was owned by mike thompson both of naples fl. thanks again dave. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

supercomp 8.90
04-29-2005, 05:11 AM
hey vern you wouldnt know the names of the two brothers??? i may know them i have been going to many of the florida drag race tracks since around 82.

Vern B
04-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Yep. His name is Kelly Waldrop. Last I knew, he still lived in the central Florida area (maybe Sanford). Probably still have his phone number somewhere. His dads name on the title application was George. Don't remember if I ever heard his older brothers name. His dad bought him this car as his first car when he was 16. They raced it in the central Florida area from 74-84. I've talked to him several times, but not for a few years now. He was always going to get me pics, timeslips,etc, but his wife had all the stuff and you can imagine the rest of the story. If you know him by any chance, any help getting any pics, timeslips and anything else he might have, would be appreciated.
There is an interesting thing I got in the paperwork from the Florida DMV back when I was researching the car. The title was applied for as off road use and was exempted from sales tax. Never seen anything like that before.

Thank's,

Vern

supercomp 8.90
04-30-2005, 02:49 AM
vern the name does not ring a bell but i will talk to some of the older veteran racers that i know, if he lived in sanford he may have raced orlando speedworld or maybe lakeland dragstrip, http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Steve Drueck
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I wanted to mention that Indian River Chevrolet sold 2 ZL1's , the red one which was fromerly owned by Dick Bridges, (now Frank D in CA) and the Hugger Orange which was bought new by Bill Turner. I bought the HO ZL1 from Bill in the 80's with 911 miles. It is back to day one, a fairly easy resto. Orig Motor, P-O-P , window sticker, dealer invoice, BE rear, even have the receipt from engine blueprint right after car purchase. Also orig quarters, fenders doors, rosewood, endura, header , valance,subframe trunk lid, only the hood was replaced due to hole for tunnel ram, and rear trunk floor section swapped from CA parts car due to trimming on inner wheelhouses. (all photo documented ) Still has 911 miles. I like to look at it, its a stunning low mile work of art. Bob Dance was the salesman who sold both of them, they were twins in a way, both with tinted glass, rally wheels, endura bumper, and rosewood steering wheel. I also have the 69 COPO Cortez Silver 4 sp from Indian River that was Bill Turner's . It has the dealer inv too, showing headlight washer option! (Its not a rally sport though) Maybe that is the silver car that Vern B remembers. Its being restored, and is going to paint shortly.Steve Drueck

COPO
02-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Do you still have the '69 DY Yenko Camaro?

Belair62
02-08-2006, 01:26 AM
So what are you bringing to the Reunion ????? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

KENNY_PASCOE
02-08-2006, 01:39 AM
IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE STEVE BRING SOME OF HIS CARS TO THE REUNION. WHAT ARE YOU BRINGING BELAIR ?? KP http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

supercomp 8.90
02-08-2006, 04:50 AM
hi steve great to here of zl1 #64 many of my friends remember the car back when it was raced, they told me that bill owned a local speed shop at the time, and always had awesome cars!! i wonder if he still has his ac http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gifcobra??

Belair62
02-08-2006, 06:56 AM
I'm kicking around bringing a cruddy old 64 Belair...

Steve Drueck
02-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Yes I still have both DY Yenko Camaros. The Marshall Chev 4 spd 9N613929 and the Joseph Chev 4 spd 9N614347 . The DY Jospeh Camaro has a cool story. In 1985 I had the fantastic opportunity to answer an ad in the Tradin Times for a 69 Yenko Camaro in a nearby suburb. John P and I went and looked at it. Problem was I didn't have $4400 so we were able to forget the NOS sheetmetal and some other parts and swing the deal for $2900 which was all the money I had in the world . Luckily I saved the Bill of Sale from it and became great friends with the seller in Lombard. Thanks again Ed C I always remember the feeling when John and I towed it home. I was lucky we remembered to strap it down!

Steve Drueck
02-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Yes Bill Turner had Turner's High Performance. I have photo's of the car in 69 and current. Bill just sent me a slide of the car at the track recently. I'll try to put up some photos. Also of the window sticker, and dealer invoice and P-O-P from Indian River. Interesting info , I think you will like this, the P-O-P is mis-stamped, I believe it shows a 4 speed Iron 427 so don't always believe a ProtectoPlate! Luckily the car is in Ed's ZL-1 registry and Bill kept the window sticker! Thanks for the invite to the show Kenny. You guys rule.

Steve Drueck
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Larry Christiansen wheeling it down Eola Rd when he finished the restoration.

Steve Drueck
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Nice detail by Larry.

JChlupsa
02-08-2006, 10:42 AM
WOW neat stores and that 1st pic is perfect,
Please bring a few of your toys to SCR9,those alone would be worth the trip from Hawaii.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Daamn, I didn't know you had that particular Marshall car - I guess that's why I have not been able to track it down http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was last titled to a guy in Royersford who lived in an apartment. Was it ever a mild race car, with a mural on the decklid or doors?

Steve Drueck
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
The only history I have on the DY Marshall car is it went through Vince and Mick Price, then to Tom Harrison . I traded Tom a 69 JL8 ProtectoPlate RS Z28 plus a bunch of $$ for it sometime in the early 1990's. It is a fairly low mile car (high 30's) has GM quarters nicely installed, no evidence of a rollbar. Its in dry storage , ready for paint, not restored yet . Mick might remember more early history possibly.

camaromb
02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I remember Tom telling me about the Orange ZL1 from Florida years ago. He had relatives near the original owner. He said he passed on it "because you just can't insure these cars for $ 30,000!" I'll never forget that quote! I remember thinking how he missed an unbelievable car with original engine, etc. Wish I had a shot at that one.
Mark

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-09-2006, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only history I have on the DY Marshall car is it went through Vince and Mick Price, then to Tom Harrison . I traded Tom a 69 JL8 ProtectoPlate RS Z28 plus a bunch of $$ for it sometime in the early 1990's. It is a fairly low mile car (high 30's) has GM quarters nicely installed, no evidence of a rollbar. Its in dry storage , ready for paint, not restored yet . Mick might remember more early history possibly.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a few yellow camaros sold out of Marshall, so it may not be the one I'm referring to. I was/am looking for a car that was called 'THE SUNDOWNER', and raced out of Bridgeport, PA.

Your Marshall camaro was last titled to a Joseph J. Nalis Jr. in Royersford, PA (deceased 10/9/98). The title was purged in '86 by the PA DOT, so it was either out of the state or off the road for several years.

The mileage listed in the PA DOT records is 107,000, with a footnote of * indicating 'actual mileage' (not sure where the mileage mixup occurred). This car was not initially titled/sold until 6/5/70, so Marshall had it sitting on their lot for awhile!

Let me know if you'd like copies of the info.

SamLBInj
02-09-2006, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What was the color and build date of the Z/28 JL8? I have some odd paperwork on one from Ill. from the 90's...

camaromb
02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Sam,
Tom had a silver RS/228 years ago from Randy Miller, I don't think that was a JL8 though. He also had a Rallye green JL8 Z that was sold to a guy that still owns the car in the Chicago suburbs.
Mark

Steve Drueck
02-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Tom had a number of JL8 cars, the one I had was a FG orig motor car. I got it from Randy Miller I believe Guy Romito found it down south. It was very clean. Someone swapped in a nice black HT interior into it. I recall it being a QX code on the P-O-P Tom didn't keep it very long though. He might still have the vin info. BTW I wish the ZL-1 was only $30 K even at that time. I paid the highest price at the time ever paid for a ZL1 that I knew about. 900 miles HO and paperwork makes you crazy !

Steve Drueck
02-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks Marlin I owe you big time. You don't think one of those used car dealers that owned the car before me would have rolled the mileage back now do you?????? I 've been had again! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/youguysrock.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-10-2006, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Marlin I owe you big time. You don't think one of those used car dealers that owned the car before me would have rolled the mileage back now do you?????? I 've been had again! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/youguysrock.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve, I have less faith in the PA DOT - I wouldn't trust the dot mileage records! Do you know who did the bodywork? The owner of 'The Sundowner' worked at a body shop, and may have begun fixing it up. There was no roll bar in the 'downer car, just a mural somewhere. Might be the same car!

ssl78
02-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Steve it seems like yesterday we went to look at that DY Yenko at Eds house. I think that might have been the first time I met Ed. I remember that same year you came and look at a HO Yenko with me that I ended up buying twice in one year within a 15 mile radius those were the days.

Steve Drueck
02-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Marlin this is an old Vince Emme Cert for the Marshall Yenko . Its undated, about 15 years old I believe.

Steve Drueck
02-15-2006, 10:44 AM
John when we told your Dad what we spent on the Camaros I thought he was going to whoop us right there on 75th Ave

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Cool!

SMGCO
06-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Wow Steve. That is an incredible story . And your stable is incredible also !

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Steve,
I have found the title paperwork on your yellow yenko camaro and made a copy for you. Let me know where to send it, or if you'll be at SCR9 I can hand deliver!

Steve Drueck
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks I sent you a PM. If you are in the area ever, stop by and see it. I hope I can return the favor one day! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

carguy2007
10-21-2007, 01:44 AM
I was a fourth owner of one of the Indian River COPOs. I sold it around 1977. I am new to the Camaro collector hobby. Can anyone tell me how to access any of the registries out there?
John S.