PDA

View Full Version : Blownaway's 69 bone stock Z

Belair62
09-12-2005, 04:30 AM
I bought my Z/28 Camaro in 1996 from a friend that kept it as a street racer in poor condition. The original DZ block was long gone...It is an original X33 Z/28..and in its place was a 350 bored 60 over for 360"...It was built as a blower motor with 8-1 Compression but had no blower on it. The headers were all rusty and the exhaust system was totally shot. The Z also leaned to the left in front; later finding out it had a broken coil spring. All the bushings were shot and the body was scratched up with door dings. The only thing that was good is the Engine that barely has 5,000 miles on it at the time...
The engine has Ross blower pistons, pinked rods, steel crank,4 bolt mains, early angle plugged LT-1 2.02/1.60 valves with Crower 1.6 SS Roller Rockers and Crane stud Girdles. The cam was ground on a 110* centerline and has about .560 lft...the cam card was destroyed in a fire so its exact specs are unknown...The heads were maxed out where the Header flanges had to be ground open to meet the ports. These Headers are Hooker Super Comps 1 7/8" primaries converging into 3 1/2" collectors and into 3" pipes to 3 chamber Flowmasters with turn outs....The entire system is Ceramic Coated. I installed the Blower being a Weiand 142 unit that delivers 10 1/2 lbs of boost at 6,200...needless to say this small block IS quick...
The Trans is the original M-21 close Ratio that came with the car. I installed a RAM 33 lb Billet flywheel with a Centerforce Clutch and pressure plate. The Drive shaft is a MATRIX that was custom built for this car by LUKOVICH Racing with 1350 ends, Yokes and solid U joints...
The Rear end had the original 12 bolt which I took out and replaced with a DANA 60 carrying 4.10 gears on a Sure Grip Differential. The axles are Moser 35 spline with Ford SVO Disc Brakes using the Drum parking brake. Every brake line I replaced with SS lines with a Wilwood Proportioning valve located just below the drivers door for easy reach. There is also a HURST Line Loc for burn outs if racing...
The rear suspension uses a 4 leaf arrangement that I had Eaton custom make taking out 2" of arch. Traction is handled by Cal-Trac traction bars with a sway bar. This setup works EXTREMELY well and gives the Camaro great lateral control as well as off the line traction lifting the front tires through the gears...
The Front suspension I rebuilt using Graphite bushings. The coil springs are the shorter 15" ones that I cut a full coil to drop the nose 3"...since doing this I have acquired Fatman's tubular upper and lower control arms with Carrera coil overs and 2" dropped spindles to reacquire the correct suspension travel that I no longer have. And the Stock Discs will be replaced with Aeromotive 4 piston calipers and rotors...
The rims are HALIBRANDS...15x7 in front with 4 1/4" back spacing and the rears are 15x8 with 4 1/2" back spacing...
The Tires are BFG's with the fronts being 215/60 comp T/A's and the rears 275/60 Drag T/A's...I'm always asked how I got such a big tire in those wells...look at my back spacing on the wheels...thats the trick and a little ball peen hammer...
The interior I Completely took apart removing the HEAVY stock buckets (47 lbs ea) and replaced them with JAZ racing seats. A full compliment of Auto Meter gauges were cut into the face of the dash using 2" PVC for the buckets...it’s a great trick and works well. The shifter is a Hurst Super Shifter 3 with reverse lockout and has only a 4" travel and straight rods that won't bend. I had to cut the tunnel for this...
The body was gone through By Danny O'Dell who owns Dent Express in Alsip. He pushed out every door ding and dent without having to repaint the car...I worked that paint finish over and over to get the scratches out...By the way that's the second paint job and it's over 26 years old...I use a product called Rod and Custom paint sealant program that’s a 1 step process that works and has been on for over 3 years...
My Camaro has been on The HOOTERS poster (nice cold day) and was featured in Chevy Rumble magazine. It has won a featured car award at the HOT ROD Power Festival in 1998 at the RT 66 Drag strip. in 1999 won best trailered and best paint award at the Late Great Chevy show...since it has been shown at the CHEVY/VETTE Fest Nationals held twice a year at McCormick place in Chicago...its been a consistent 994 points out of a 1,000 which I'm proud of, seeing that's "old" paint...
The name of my car IS "Blown Away"...I did all the work but the long block....feel free to contact me with any questions you may have........thanks again........Jeff Alter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/x%206-1-05%20blownaway%20Z/mycar1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/x%206-1-05%20blownaway%20Z/tn_Picture002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/x%206-1-05%20blownaway%20Z/tn_Picture001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/x%206-1-05%20blownaway%20Z/camaroint.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/x%206-1-05%20blownaway%20Z/camaroeng1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/x%206-1-05%20blownaway%20Z/lightenedrearofcamaro.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/x%206-1-05%20blownaway%20Z/Picture019.jpg

396L35
09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Jeff that looks like one nasty Z28 you have there... I love the color and the Mighty Mouse on the fender... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gifMark

Z-11 396
09-12-2005, 05:02 PM
This is one great looking car, the color is great,as well as the special "MOUSE'' on it, gives you the idea to get out of the way, '''coming through'''--- http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

mockingbird812
09-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Wicked set up Jeff....

"....needless to say this small block IS quick..."

And just how quick is this bad mouse?

Belair62
09-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Holy Crap...I just saw the Mighty Mouse sticker...did a guy in Elk Grove make those for you ???

mockingbird812
09-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh yea, and BTW, let's see those "Hooters" shots!

396L35
09-13-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy Crap...I just saw the Mighty Mouse sticker...did a guy in Elk Grove make those for you ???

[/ QUOTE ]Bob Im buying you some glasses so you wont miss anything else... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/BelairSucks.gifMark

Belair62
09-13-2005, 06:42 AM
I have a little boat with a 350 MAG merc in it that is called Mighty Mouse and a graphics place in Elk Grove where I went had this Mighty Mouse sticker. He said they made it a few years back for a race car !!!!

BlownAway
09-13-2005, 07:23 AM
thanks guys for the compliments..the last pic is my wife Becky..on the left...handing out a prize that a women won at McCormick place's Chevy/vette fest...the Mighty mouse was hand painted by a fellow named Ron Jelinik...kids love to have their pictures taken in front of him....

olredalert
09-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Belair,

--------Just what would the brand name of that little boat be???...........Bill S

SamLBInj
09-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Can I have it?
Very Nice,Im in the process of having my Day 2 69 Z/28 restored

hvychev
09-20-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the Mighty mouse was hand painted by a fellow named Ron Jelinik...

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Bill Jelinek who used to own Central Auto Rebuilders? Short guy with a beard?

BlownAway
09-20-2005, 07:54 AM
I know Bill...not him....Ron..hes in his 60's looks like a hermit with a beard and glasses...like an old beetnick....

BlownAway
10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
here's some fresh pics of my Camaro..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/smokinwoody/super%20car%20saturday/307595_10150397259730342_724320341_10455365_206514 7772_n-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/smokinwoody/CAMARO/camaroatDUKES10-9-10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/smokinwoody/CAMARO/camaroengine006.jpg

BlownAway
10-24-2011, 03:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/smokinwoody/GLENVIEW%20and%20ROSELLE%207-3-10/IMG_0492-1-1-1.jpg

RPOLS3
10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Holy Cow - that looks like Duke's Drive in on Harlem Ave!

We spent a lot of time there in the mid to late 80's and early 90's.

Good to see that it is apparently still alive and well and real cars - not import bikes.

Jake

olredalert
10-24-2011, 11:34 PM
-----BlownAway,,,Mike, is that you??? Just noticed the E-mail address and figure it had to be. For all,,,Mike used to be sort of a regular at Classic Motors back in the day. Hes one heck of a chef and if you take a look at his E-mail like I did it will give you a hint what hes good at!!! Oh,,,and hes gone thru a bunch of nice cars.

-----Many of those nights that Jake spent down at Dukes were with his Dad and me and the other Classic slappies......Bill S

-----Made a mistake! I dont know Jeff. Somewhere I saw Smokin Woodies which is Mikes restraunt.

SS427
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Damn Bill, is there ANYONE you don't know?????? I would hate to see your address book. LOL

olredalert
10-25-2011, 12:12 AM
-----Took a bit of time but I finally found Jeffs pics of his Dodge race car and the extra pics at the bottom have an address of "Smokin Woodies". Mike must have taken them or had something to do with them. Wow,,,thought I was going nuts,,,more nuts that is. Sorry for the confusion Jeff......Bill S

BlownAway
10-04-2014, 01:54 PM
sorry this is late...I know Mike(Smokin Woodys BBQ) ..I use the handle "smokinwoody" on many Forums..I do have a 63 Dodge MW under construction...not a problem with confusion...I always am...lol

bigjake
10-05-2014, 02:27 PM
-----Many of those nights that Jake spent down at Dukes were with his Dad and me and the other Classic slappies......Bill S

One of the stories about Dukes--- "All the hot cars hung out there, and the place was heaven for car nuts. Bill Stevenson and Marty Levine came in Bill's '63 Fuelly Corvette, Stretch and Bob Sindelar were there in the "71 LS6 Corvette. I showed up with the '62 409. We all talked and walked around to look at the nice cars that were assembled there that night. There were over 75 cars parked in the parking lot, and just as many just driving through. Around 10:30 we decided to call it a night, and we all left together. We travelled west on 79th St. and eventually ended up north bound on Rt. 83 in Willowbrook, just north of the Cal Sag Canal. Well, we were all travelling together, and Bob shouts out, " Let's run 'em off and see which car is the fastest". He was in the LS6 Corvette with Stretch. So, I said, "Let's run from a 20 roll". They agreed and we all slowed down to 20 mph. Since there was nobody on the road at that time of night, we could get 3 cars across the road. Stretch said, "I'll beep 3 times, and we'll go on the third beep". He beeped 3 times and off we go. The 409 was in second gear, and all the other cars started in first gear. I thought that a second gear start with a 4:56 gear would be an advantage. The old Blue Devil was in her element that night, all you could hear was engines sucking in huge amounts of air, tires screaming for traction, and the sweet sounds of exhaust from 3 high performance cars. The 409 got traction about halfway through second gear, and pulled about a car length in front of the mighty LS6. Bill and Marty in the '63 Fuelly could not keep up with the big blocks, and he dropped out early. I wound the big W engine to 6500 rpm, and slammed third gear. Stretch and Bob in the LS6 were falling farther behind, and when I finally hit 4th gear, it was all over. The Blue Devil still had what it takes to run with the big boys! At this point, we were well over 100 mph, and I started to worry about the drum brakes! We finally stopped at the light on 75th St. and Bob said, "I don't believe what just happened"! He wanted to run from the light, but there was a cop in the Shell station. So the old girl had another notch in her belt, one of many she got back in the day. What a rush"!

RPOLS3
10-06-2014, 01:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuzineddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-----Many of those nights that Jake spent down at Dukes were with his Dad and me and the other Classic slappies......Bill S

One of the stories about Dukes--- &quot;All the hot cars hung out there, and the place was heaven for car nuts. Bill Stevenson and Marty Levine came in Bill's '63 Fuelly Corvette, Stretch and Bob Sindelar were there in the &quot;71 LS6 Corvette. I showed up with the '62 409. We all talked and walked around to look at the nice cars that were assembled there that night. There were over 75 cars parked in the parking lot, and just as many just driving through. Around 10:30 we decided to call it a night, and we all left together. We travelled west on 79th St. and eventually ended up north bound on Rt. 83 in Willowbrook, just north of the Cal Sag Canal. Well, we were all travelling together, and Bob shouts out, &quot; Let's run 'em off and see which car is the fastest&quot;. He was in the LS6 Corvette with Stretch. So, I said, &quot;Let's run from a 20 roll&quot;. They agreed and we all slowed down to 20 mph. Since there was nobody on the road at that time of night, we could get 3 cars across the road. Stretch said, &quot;I'll beep 3 times, and we'll go on the third beep&quot;. He beeped 3 times and off we go. The 409 was in second gear, and all the other cars started in first gear. I thought that a second gear start with a 4:56 gear would be an advantage. The old Blue Devil was in her element that night, all you could hear was engines sucking in huge amounts of air, tires screaming for traction, and the sweet sounds of exhaust from 3 high performance cars. The 409 got traction about halfway through second gear, and pulled about a car length in front of the mighty LS6. Bill and Marty in the '63 Fuelly could not keep up with the big blocks, and he dropped out early. I wound the big W engine to 6500 rpm, and slammed third gear. Stretch and Bob in the LS6 were falling farther behind, and when I finally hit 4th gear, it was all over. The Blue Devil still had what it takes to run with the big boys! At this point, we were well over 100 mph, and I started to worry about the drum brakes! We finally stopped at the light on 75th St. and Bob said, &quot;I don't believe what just happened&quot;! He wanted to run from the light, but there was a cop in the Shell station. So the old girl had another notch in her belt, one of many she got back in the day. What a rush&quot;! </div></div>

Good 409 stories.........they never get old.

dykstra
10-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Dukes was a great hang out! You're right, the 409 stories never get old.

olredalert
10-06-2014, 04:12 PM
----I remember that night like it was yesterday, Jake. I loved that 71 LS6 Vette. I never should have sold it to Stretch, but he did take it to the next level and got a gold at Bloomington Gold. I got silver the year before because I had a leather wrapped steering wheel, radials, and chrome valve covers. I just liked the car that way too much to change anything for a trophy!......Bill S

Xplantdad
10-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Cool recollections!