PDA

View Full Version : Dog Dish hubcap restoration?

mbxlesney
09-28-2005, 04:19 AM
How can you go about restoring Dog dish hubcaps found on 1968-9 Camaros and 1969-70 Novas? Or is there shops that can do this? I figured someone out there would know.If this subject was already covered in the past I would like the link. Thanks Again

camarojoe
09-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Restore them how? If they have very small dings you can sometimes work them out with a small block of wood or a dolly and some finesse... but if they're all dented up, especially on the ridge, they're pretty much always gonna be dented up. They are stainless steel, so you can buff them up like chrome with a little effort and various stages of polish, and the black can be resprayed... the biggest problem with these is where they seat on the wheel... they fit tightly and most have a big ol' tire iron gouge on the lip from prying them, off...that isn't coming out.

firstgenaddict
09-29-2005, 10:04 PM
There is a link with some advice on getting the dents out of the ridges.
I have in the past used a tig welder and pieces off of a hubcap that was unable to be saved to build up dents or gouges that would not normally be repairable. You have to use pieces of stainless from something that is similar like another hubcap because stainless is an alloy and there are many different ratios of the different meatal that go into it. I tried using some stainless rod the first time and it was a different color... more brown than blue.