PDA

View Full Version : L89 Head Rocker Nut Question

Hotrodpaul
10-16-2005, 04:27 AM
I am assembling a set of very little used 1969 L89 Heads and they came fully assembled with rockers and stud nuts. These stud nuts are not the crimped variety but a nut with a set screw lock. Are they correct for a stock L89 head?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Hotrodpaul86/DSCN0422.jpg

Thay are a greenish gray color, similar to the rocker arm.

Thanks, Paul

markjohnson
10-16-2005, 04:32 AM
They are not correct. Should have the standard crimped acorn nuts. The tall posi-locks will hold a valve lash longer but sometimes they interfere with the valve cover drippers. Make sure you check for clearance if you keep the tall nuts.

Chevy454
10-16-2005, 06:01 AM
We run those on our Pure Stock L72...only problem I've had with them is when I got a junk set one time...I had an old set for comparison, and there was a noticable weight difference between the 2 (the new ones felt lighter)...

Keith Tedford
10-16-2005, 06:19 PM
The Poly Lok nuts were available aftermarket even back in the '60s. I had them on my Ram Air Firebird in '68. They may have been included in the Royal Bobcat kit that was installed. The ends of the rocker studs should be ground flat and square so that the locking set screw bites in properly. The screw is all the keeps the nut from backing off.