PDA

View Full Version : NOS Panels like '69 Z-28

djunod
11-03-2005, 06:00 PM
It's the general accepted observation that there are more '69 Z-28's now then where actually built in '69...

I think it also pretty safe to note that there are more NOS Panels being sold & used then were actually stamped out. It seems like everybody & their brother says thay are using (consuming) NOS Panels and have been for years. Either there are a lot of liars or there was a heck of a lot of panels made or...

Anybody have any ideas what the numbers could have been for fenders, quarters, doors, etc?

x44d80
11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I agree, I wish I had a micrometer to measure the real difference in NOS and the new Chinese made panels. The cheapies are thinner, I tried to measure them with a wire gauge and the NOS was 18g and the cheapie was 19g or thinner

Belair62
11-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Probably not limited to Camaro ....E Bay is the best example of everything being NOS...you really have to ask them if it's OLD NOS !

69L72RS
11-03-2005, 07:26 PM
The NOS full quarters that I have are metal date stamped and the repos I have had in the past were not. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif
That is usually what I check for, if I dont have my mics with me.
The part sticker isn't a certain thing either. A few years ago there was a guy selling the stickers and boxes, after someone would buy the OEM panels from him. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I can't remember his name, but he had a huge ad in Hemmings.

djunod
11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Even so, this is mostly a money game, so just like there are fake trim tags, fake POP's and fake engine stampings, there most certainly are fake date stamps for the metal body parts.

I place the likelyhood of somebody finding a true old NOS Camaro fender at 2%, and a full quarter at probably around 20%... just my gut feel, based on the observed consumption rate.

NCGuy68
11-04-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even so, this is mostly a money game, so just like there are fake trim tags, fake POP's and fake engine stampings, there most certainly are fake date stamps for the metal body parts.

I place the likelyhood of somebody finding a true old NOS Camaro fender at 2%, and a full quarter at probably around 20%... just my gut feel, based on the observed consumption rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm..................................

I have two 67 full quarters, part number sticker on them, in original GM boxes. No date code or die number stamp on them. However, the part number is clearly in the deck lid closing area. They are coated with thin, cheap, dull black primer.

Are they NOS?

SamLBInj
11-04-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I wish I had a micrometer to measure the real difference in NOS and the new Chinese made panels. The cheapies are thinner, I tried to measure them with a wire gauge and the NOS was 18g and the cheapie was 19g or thinner

[/ QUOTE ]
Got to watch it, people will use the cheapo panels and say there car is a factory lightweight http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

djunod
11-04-2005, 06:22 PM
There are a few items that you can't tell the difference on... deck lid, header panel, valence, cowl panel, rad support to name a few.

And there is a simple "trick" to get the quarter panels and fenders to mic right.

Mr70
11-04-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And there is a simple "trick" to get the quarter panels and fenders to mic right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warm them up. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

firstgenaddict
11-04-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably not limited to Camaro ....E Bay is the best example of everything being NOS...you really have to ask them if it's OLD NOS !

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly... they should leave the O out ... just NS.. New Stock.
Like with the RC15 Rad caps. NOS then you look and it has the small tabs.

NCGuy68
11-06-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think you'll get a honest answer? Ebay is full of BS and deception, suckering in people everyday! I prefer live, hands-on swap meets so I can feel, touch and smell the parts. Ain't no substitute!

RPOZ26
11-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Do you really think you'll get a honest answer? Ebay is full of BS and deception, suckering in people everyday! I prefer live, hands-on swap meets so I can feel, touch and smell the parts. Ain't no substitute!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebay is killing swap meets http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Ed

tom406
11-06-2005, 08:47 AM
I don't know if you can trust even "old" NOS panels to live up to original specs. I distinctly remember a story on a '69 Camaro Stocker race car written up in the '80's that said the front fenders were replaced, not because they were bad, but because the GM over the counter replacements weighted something like 4 pounds less. This never made sense to me until I read another article or story not too long ago that quoted a factory parts guy stating the replacement panels were made out of thinner gauge metal, in order to save on shipping expenses, since they had to be shipped all over the country. It may seem trivial, but you know their economies of scale, if GM could save $0.50 on every panel shipped, the bean counters would be very pleased.

I agree that Ebay is killing off the swap meet, but I don't mourn the loss too much. I think a lot of material is coming onto the market that never would have seen the muddy field of a swap meet without ebay, and if you're not holding onto gold (NOS '69 Camaro fender) and instead have fools gold (NOS '53 Nash fender) you might actually sell it instead of dragging it to swap meets for five years trying to find the right guy.

I do mourn the loss of the screaming deal you sometimes get at the meet, though. The only time you get that on ebay is if the seller can't spell or list properly ( "New Camero Fender" listed under Automobilia).

SamLBInj
11-06-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds more like a swinger convention http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

TDW
11-06-2005, 02:22 PM
About the ebay thing..I have been sitting on 3 garages full of old Harley parts that I have been collecting for more than 30 years. I hate the swap meets any more.Too many idiots and people with baby strollers. It seems like 99% of the people are at the swap to show off their leather attire. A guy comes by the shop and offers to sell my stuff on ebay for 15% of the total selling price. All I do is gather some parts up, write a description, call him to pick the stuff up. I write an honest description. If the part has a nick, scratch, anything wrong, I put it in the ad. Every part has sold. Some for a lot more than I ever expected to get. Without the Worldwide exposure from ebay this stuff would be here until I die. Then my wife would have a garage sale, selling 600 dollar Magnetos for a buck or two. I like ebay.

indyjps
11-10-2005, 10:49 AM
one of the reasons for thinner gauge sheetmetal is improved steel technology and higher strength steels. stamping has come a long way since 1969. even if you found a NOS panel witha date stamp it will list a julian date but wont list the year that it was made, so is it NOS from 1972 when Gm was most likely doing the stamping or NOS from 1980's when the dies were most likely sold off to an outside company who used whatever steel they could? what was the condition of the dies once sold off to another company? how much did GM actually care about maintaining dies once they went into service replacement jobs? all things to consider.
I personally stamp replacement (service) parts for the GM 400 (truck before approx 1992) the dies get rolled in once a month to run 600 or so parts, they get shipped with minor surface defects and sometimes do not pass the fixture checks. the thought is after a body shop welds on them and hammers them into place they will be ok.

resto4u
11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
GM 400????

indyjps
11-11-2005, 11:59 AM
full size truck before current full size truck. truck fromt he 80's. sorry about that. current full size truck is the 800, the colorado is the 355, the montana van is the 201. etc