PDA

View Full Version : Identification Information for Possible COPO

KXW
11-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Several years back, I purchased a 1969 Camaro body VIN # 124379N676877. I'm trying to determine if it could be a possible COPO. The Trim Plate data is as follows:
ST 69 12437 NOR 104182
TR 718 50 50 PNT
08E X44
I've searched the COPO website and the VIN is 10 cars apart from a Yenko car. The car does not have any of it's original drive-train and rear-end components. However, the car does have original front disk brakes. I cannot tell if the car had a BB or SB heater core because the heater cover had been removed and covered up with sheet metal. Currently, the car has a Ford 9" rear, its been cut-up and tubed, no interior except for driver seat. No Tach on interior dash. Every small part and wire cables have been removed from the firewall area. I've looked for a hole in the firewall area were the cowl induction hood wire might have been present but I'm not sure where or what to look for. Previous owner had no paper work. Any help or information would be appreciated. I can reached via phone at (210) 602-0506. Thanks in advance for your reply!
Kim

sYc
11-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Check with Kurt S., who hangs out here, or check with him at http://www.camaros.org

69SSRSL89
11-16-2005, 08:03 PM
The cowl induction wiring hole is right above the fuse box area. I'm going from memory but I beleive that it's roughly 3/4" in diameter. You could also look to see if there is a single 3/8" fuel line or a dual fuel line which would also help nail things down. That is unless it's missing. I've got my fingures crossed for you hopefully it's another super car hulk waiting to be saved http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Jesse

Belair62
11-17-2005, 05:08 AM
What gives you the impression that it was possibly COPO ? Just the VIN being 10 away from a Yenko ?

KXW
11-17-2005, 07:56 PM
As per the VIN, I was just curious as to which V8 engine originally came in the car. Since there's really not much of its original equipment left on the car, I’m not able to determination if the car originally came with a small/big block. I will be taking some pictures of the firewall area and checking for some other clues as suggested sometime this weekend. The previous owner did not have any other documentation for the car. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the firewall reveals the proper hole for the cowl induction option. I understand that this in itself is not proof of a COPO and without documentation almost impossible to prove. The current car’s status/description is as follows. The steering column is notched for a column shift but the car also has a clutch pedal. I'm assuming the car was originally an automatic because the steering column is red and matches the color code on the trim plate. All pedals look factory as well but the transmission tunnel appears to have been cut to allow adequate space for a 4 speed shifter. The car is painted primer gray but I will be checking the sub-layer color of the tail panel and the cross member as suggested. The car has a Ford 9” and it’s been tubbed. No tachometer on dash and the heater core and cover have been removed and replaced with sheet metal. All small components and wires that were located on the firewall area have been removed as well. Dash is complete other than that nothing is inside car except for a driver’s seat and role cage. Car is missing the power buster but does have front disk brakes. There are no engine-size emblems on the car except for a Z28 emblem on the rear panel. Except for the front disk brakes and trim tag information, there is not much to go on. If there is any thing else I can check for, please advise. I was hoping that someone perhaps might have a list of COPO body numbers or VINs from other smaller dealerships and could possibly confirm the VIN or body number as a COPO? I will provide an update sometime next week after I take pictures and check for other clues. Again, thanks for all the replies!

Unreal
11-18-2005, 07:41 AM
If you think the fenders are original, check to see if there were ever holes for engine displacement badges. COPO had none. Also look for exhaust hanger reinforcement plate in driver rear wheelwell. Are the engine mount towers still there? If so, get the numbers off them. They are unique to b/b. Someone mentioned single fuel line, but check the clips to see if they are the wider ones which would be used for dual lines. Check the fuel sender to see if it has return line. These are all clues, but do not absolutely confirm COPO, but the more clues, the better the odds of it being one.

SuperNovaSS
11-21-2005, 02:56 AM
The part on the column you mention could be for the reverse lockout column.

Jason