PDA

View Full Version : What paint to use for Restoration??

Bluecorvetteone
12-14-2005, 05:44 AM
I'll be repainting my camaro sometime in the future and wondering expert advice on whether to paint with the newer Base Coat/Clear Coats or the original Lacquer or enamel paints. I doubt i'll ever really drive the car.

MosportGreen66
12-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Lacquer... and after you show it... throw some clear on it.

COPO
12-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I would personally use a modern BC/CC.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Base Clear Urethane - nothing but!!

Charley Lillard
12-15-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Base Clear Urethane - nothing but!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how the sticklers for orig can suggest Base clear instead of lacquer. Are points deducted for base clear in judging or are points added for lacquer ? I feel that if you have two identical cars with one being base clear and the other being lacquer, the lacquer should score higher. A supercar restored to the highest standard barely sees much road time or sunlight and I have seen lacquer that still looks stunning years later. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-15-2005, 07:23 PM
To my knowledge no points are awarded for lacquer, and none are deducted for base/clear. The sticklers say that the base/clear should look like the original lacquer stuff, ie; leave some orange peel in it, and don't paint it too nice! I would not shoot lacquer, and those guys who have painted their deuces in lacquer would not do it again. I agree that the lacquer can be well maintained, but I'm not sure Frankie enjoys rubbin on his deuce every year http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

resto4u
12-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Lacquer paint jobs life can be extended by less sunlight and less vehicle use. But a laquer job will not outlast a base clear job. Laquer is always in a constant state of venting, drying and shrinking. The decals on the original duece that steve has shows the effects of paint shrinking to the decals. I do like laquer, and might paint one of mine that way. Roger

CamarosRus
12-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Charley, I am only one of the 2nd Gen LEGEND Judges at Carlisle.....and in so far as I know, we dont deduct points for non original type of paint. I understand your point about ORIGINALITY, and I agree that WE (the 2nd Gen judges) should see about ADDING points if Laquer is used.....but somebody will have to educate US as to how you can tell.
I highly suggest YOU, communicate with the 1st Gen judges like BKH, McNeish, Christianson, etc and get there perspective on the subject.
I'd also like to learn how the NCRS treats the issue at Bloomington Gold, etc on their Top Flight cars........

Mr70
12-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Plus I think judging circles are more lenient here,because very few painters can even acquire lacquer paint anywhere anymore.

DarrenX33
12-15-2005, 07:58 PM
I did not have my car judged this time around but heard that Vettefest judges were taking points off for BC/CC...

Mr70
12-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Bring back Al Fierke... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DarrenX33
12-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Al was there.... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hvychev
12-15-2005, 09:27 PM
My Deuce is painted in Laquer and I hate it. It is a lot more maintience than regular BC/CC paint since I drive my car. The only thing that is good about it is it is a lot easier to touch up or "repair" the paint should you ever have a mishap. I bumped the back of my Deuce while parking it over a year ago cracking some paint off the car. Luckily I still had some of the original DuPont Laquer that the previous owner painted my car with. I brought it to the right guy and he fixed it so well that I can't even remember where I bumped it!

MosportGreen66
12-16-2005, 12:20 AM
In the NCRS a major deduction in paint scoring occurs if the car is painted in BC/CC; even if you have made an honest attempt to dull BC/CC (appear as if it were lacquer). The door jambs, head light buckets and rear valance should all be lack luster areas (among others). Virtually every car that makes it to the highest of possible levels in scoring and showcasing (high point Top Flights and special collection cars) all have original lacquer paint. It is far more superior for the stickler restoration. Commonly you will find the Corvette owners who paint their cars in lacquer will bring covers to shows and park their cars in those plastic climate controlled bubbles. When dealing with Corvettes, your car has got to be 100% dead on perfect to win high prestigious awards with BC/CC. It is very costly and very hard to find a guy who will paint using lacquer today. The paint contents are known carcinogens.

Enoch
12-16-2005, 05:09 AM
I am currently doing frame off's on 3 67 435 corvette convertable's and 2 are going lacquer and one going single stage red. The lacquer paint is not as hazardous as the newer paints with Isocynates. I will not give a guarantee
on lacquer. As the paint manufactures do the same.

Hotrodpaul
12-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I find that Lacquer is very easy to work work with if you know the product. The main problem I find is thinning it the proper amount with the correct thinner to get that flow out just right and setting the gun flow properly. In Houston with the high humidity, the paint was frosting up due to condensation so I ended up using a retarding type thinner to slow the drying time, and it worked, giving that factory type finish. Due to the high VOC's, it has been outlawed since the late 90's but still can be had if you know where to get it. I have tried enamel based paints and the look just does not match my original paint Lemans Blue 69 SS.

Paul

Stefano
12-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Lacquer paint today is not of the same chemical composition as it was back in the day. I am not a chemist, but the main component missing is lead. It is not as durable nor is it as flexible as it once was.

To paint a car with a named product that is inferior to that which was applied by the factory, to appease show judges makes no sense to me.

Solid colors done w/single stage paint can provide for quality paint jobs and great repair ability.

BC/CC is the way I would go. But I am one of those guys who doesn't care about putting factory runs and panel miss alignments back into my cars.

firstgenaddict
12-28-2005, 12:21 AM
I have said it before and will say it again... If you were to travel back in time to 1967 buy a brand new camaro travel back to the present... drop it in a car show, it most likely would not even place... in a local show... (I believe this to be true for all except Corvettes)
Now that is what is SAD!!!!

SMGCO
01-02-2006, 08:09 PM
You also need to check on the legality of shooting laquer in your state.

Supercar_Kid
01-06-2006, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I brought it to the right guy and he fixed it so well that I can't even remember where I bumped it!

[/ QUOTE ] Frankie, was the repair really that unnoticeable or were you just sniffing the leftover can of lacquer? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hvychev
01-06-2006, 08:21 AM
No kid, I leave the huffing paint up to other people! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif