PDA

View Full Version : Fixing mounting ear on Muncie case

scuncio
12-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Pulled the bellhousing off the M20 on my Z to find that one of the mount ears on the main case had cracked off. Case has the partial VIN so it's important for me to have it fixed. Anyone have a recommended shop / individual for welding and finishing this repair?

Lynn
12-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Jerry McNeish. Period.

Any good welding shop can handle it as far as a functional repair, but they won't appreciate the "restoration" aspect. Jerry does, and will do a fantastic job. I had him repair and reskin some early aluminum non-dripper valve covers. They are perfect and gorgeous.

Lynn

firstgenaddict
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
If you decide to take on the repair yourself... To get the look of a freshly cast case... take the case down to an Aluminum foundry and ask them to put it in with some of their freshly cast pieces. It is a vibratory bin that is used to dislodge the casting sand from the Aluminum pieces. My dad had some parts cast from Aluminum and when he got them back they looked just like NOS Aluminum intakes, Muncie Cases...ETC.
It is unbelievable....
Remember that the side cover and tail shaft housing were not cast the same way as the main case they were molded... I believe using a steel mold and the outside appearance is much smoother and VERY different from the main case. Looks more like an injection molded potmetal piece.