PDA

View Full Version : Machined Heads & Rust

Donutblue
02-21-2006, 03:00 AM
I came across a set of Machined heads for an AMC 390 today. The guy picked them up from a shop years ago, stored them in his barn in a plastic bag -- needless to say over the years moisture turned into light rust covering the heads and even the valves, springs etc. What can be done short of machine work again ????

Belair62
02-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Here is donuts pic..I'm thinking the only safe thing to do is bringe them in ad refurbish them...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Belair62/wheels/tn390heads.jpg

budnate
02-21-2006, 08:07 AM
those were bagged??? ho*& SH)( pretty tough looking break them down and blast them and see what the surfaces look like and go from there...

SuperNovaSS
02-21-2006, 08:45 AM
At this point I would say they need to be torn down, blasted, and inspected. The valve seals will need to be replaced anyway.

Jason

Donutblue
02-21-2006, 03:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing, at least try it. They are 390 High performance heads. The guy that owns them went into a parts store where he is a steady customer. They told him they had them sitting in the shop for years, the original owner never came back for them. He left them in the bags in the barn, took them out of the bags in front of me, Probably sitting 20 years or so. -- He has a 390 motor wrapped and sealed in a plastic bag too, he said he covered the motor and cylinder walls with grease before wrapping.

John Brown
02-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Blast?? Why not just have them dipped to remove the rust??

Dipping wont harm machined surfaces.......

Donutblue
02-21-2006, 08:40 PM
John, I did not think of dipping in a rust remover, but that may be the first approach, nothing to lose.