PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Media Blaster

Supergas990
03-06-2006, 11:36 PM
After learning that the local do-it-yourself media blasting place gets $1.25 per minute for renting one of their units, I'm seriously looking for a good cabinet media blasting unit.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences (good or bad)? Would prefer a stand-alone unit with light and exhaust.

Thanks,

Blair

TDW
03-06-2006, 11:54 PM
I have a T.I.P. brand 29 x 60. It works like a charm. I have the vacum canisters for the dust control. I couldn't live without it. I use mostly glass bead, but they offer lots of different media for it.

VintageMusclecar
03-07-2006, 12:14 AM
http://www.tptools.com/

VERY nice equipment.

A blasting cabinet isn't a good place to try to save a few $$$. Buy at least one size bigger than you think you'll need...it'll come in handy sooner than you think. Voice of experience speaking here.

Eric

Alss
03-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I have the Eastwood medium size..could not live without it!!!.

ALbert

jeff morocco
03-07-2006, 02:00 AM
blair,
dont know how close you are to the jefferson county fair grounds, but you can pick one up there at the end of april. i paid $300 for mine and came with 3 different types of media.its the size of a 55 gallon drum. it suits my needs just fine.

RamAirDave
03-07-2006, 04:42 AM
This is the one I have. Good price and size, and metal. It will fit wheels and have even done a trans x member in it. Anything bigger I'll send out.

www.barrelblaster.com (http://www.barrelblaster.com)

Ive easily gotten my money out of it. Dont know how I got by without one before.

dave

Chevy454
03-07-2006, 05:51 AM
I think Mo & Dad built ours...it's super big, but maybe the handiest tool in our shop...

396L35
03-07-2006, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a T.I.P. brand 29 x 60. It works like a charm. I have the vacum canisters for the dust control. I couldn't live without it. I use mostly glass bead, but they offer lots of different media for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a TIP cabinet as well, I just wish I bought a bigger one at the time. I have a model 965 and is plenty big but I could always use a bigger cabinet... Good luck http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Donnie
03-07-2006, 08:03 AM
ive got this one from TP Tools
if your going to buy tools you might as well buy quality.
http://www.tptools.com/eccStoreFront/tip/product_images//Full/960-SE.jpg

Belair62
03-07-2006, 08:07 AM
I have a 10 year old TIP....good advice to get one bigger than you think you will need...

Denis
03-07-2006, 09:00 AM
I have exactly the same one as Donnie, the Skat Blast, not so new looking though. Perfect for me, best restoration tool in the shop. I bought it used for $200 about 5-6 years ago.

RamAirDave
03-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Another thing to add:

If you have a Tractor Supply Co. in your area, its a good place to get blasting supplies. I get my "tear off" window screens there, along with media. 50lbs for less than $30, and dont have to worry about the shipping charges for something that heavy.

TP is a great resource for blasting cabinets/supplies. Good products and price. I probably wouldve gone with them if I didnt get the deal I got on mine. Eastwood is way high on their blasting stuff. I made the mistake of buying blasting nozzles from them, then to find ceramic nozzles for basically nothing at the local "cheap tool" place. On that note, dont even bother with steel tips. Havent used the carbides, but the ceramics last plenty long.

dave

396L35
03-07-2006, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another thing to add:

If you have a Tractor Supply Co. in your area, its a good place to get blasting supplies. I get my "tear off" window screens there, along with media. 50lbs for less than $30, and dont have to worry about the shipping charges for something that heavy.

TP is a great resource for blasting cabinets/supplies. Good products and price. I probably wouldve gone with them if I didnt get the deal I got on mine. Eastwood is way high on their blasting stuff. I made the mistake of buying blasting nozzles from them, then to find ceramic nozzles for basically nothing at the local "cheap tool" place. On that note, dont even bother with steel tips. Havent used the carbides, but the ceramics last plenty long.

dave

[/ QUOTE ]
You can also get your media at Grainger. I use a 10 mil mylar over the glass and just tape it down on the ends, It works great. Just like Belair said "Get one bigger then you think you need!!!" http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Rainer
03-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I've got a TP cabinet as well and love it. Save yourself a ton of money on the plastic tear-off sheets. Buy a roll of clear plastic transparency film from an office-supply place or on ebay (about $18 shipped). One roll makes about 17 sheets, compared to 3 for $10 plus shipping from TP. Attach them with regular 2-sided tape, or clear shipping tape along the edges.

bigchevydaddy
03-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I spent MANY hours with my cabinet blaster; one of the "assemble it yourself" units from Eastwood, UNTIL I got my pressure sandblaster. I now only use the cabinet for smaller, more delicate items, and sandblast everything else. Fine sandblasting sand is cheap, and the pressure blaster makes short work of rust, scale and grease. I can do a rally wheel in about 10 minutes, or an A-arm in about five minutes. Takes much longer in the bead-blast cabinet. The fine sand leaves a ready-to-prime surface that paints just about as well as the bead-blasted surface.

Good luck with your blasting - BCD.