PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Convertible Camaro Nickey Car

oohmy
03-23-2006, 06:31 AM
I am looking at a 69 convertible Camaro with documentation that was supposedly ordered through Nickey Chevrolet. The car has 19,000 original miles and the second owner owns it at this time. Is there any way by looking at the car that will confirm that it is a true "Nickey" car? I visit this site often and it seems there are alot of knowledgable people that also visit this site. Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Mr70
03-23-2006, 06:38 AM
Welcome
Are there any documents that show the Selling Dealer name, No.& Zone code?

Stefano
03-23-2006, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

with documentation

[/ QUOTE ]

The docs should show Nickey Chevrolet as the selling Dealership?

What is the drive train combo?

oohmy
03-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the quick response, the current owner has owned the car for 12 years, I met with him tonight and looked the car over, he said that he had not looked for a build sheet.The car looks like it does have its original int. The docs include, the salesmans card that sold the first owner the car, a Nickey brochure mailed directly to the orignal owner, a couple of time slips. The car has an L88, dual quad, and the vin number is stamped on the pad. The date code on the block is H 68 and also a 512. He also told me that he did know the original owner. Thanks for the help....

Charley Lillard
03-23-2006, 07:54 AM
WOW...cool sounding car. Be careful giving too many details about the car. I'm sure by now there are a bunch of people that would now also like to find that car. If I were you I would get some kind of written agreement with the owner or put a deposit with a written agreement. Good luck.

JChlupsa
03-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Take Charley's lead and get it on paper and go for it. When you get it on the trailer or back home let us all here know what you got.

Schonyenko2
03-23-2006, 08:25 AM
One quick question. Is this car in Ia, or in Ia recently?

Belair62
03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
...timeslips a business card and a brochure are not exactly concrete evidence.....don't give out info but you need to see more...quickly

JChlupsa
03-23-2006, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
, and the vin number is stamped on the pad.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its the org engine or said to be the partial VIN on the engine pad should be something like this

19N5XXXXX
or 19N6XXXXXX
or 19N7XXXXX

with the X's being the rest of the VIN

You sure the guy didnt say L89?

Justbad Joe
03-23-2006, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One quick question. Is this car in Ia, or in Ia recently?

[/ QUOTE ] Is this the red one with Nickey magnet on the door?

PeteLeathersac
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Wouldn't the only '69 Camaro 512 block w/ a factory stamped pad Vin possible be an L72....and this is a ragtop?? . Were the Nickey folks known to stamp the Vins on the transplanted blocks? . Go do the Charley deposit/deal thing w/ the guy, get a pic of the pad while you're gathering info and go man....run fast! .
~ Pete

oohmy
03-24-2006, 12:32 AM
I want to say thank you to all of you who have responded to my post. I gather from each response that documentation is probably the most important thing--there is really no other way to tell by just looking at the car that would tell me if it is a real Nickey. I am going to attempt to find the build sheet to see if it was sold new at Nickey Chevrolet. I will find out probably this evening if the build sheet exists. If so, I will probably make the deal and buy the car this evening. I will let you know--thanks again.

MosportGreen66
03-24-2006, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there is really no other way to tell by just looking at the car that would tell me if it is a real Nickey

[/ QUOTE ]

No, NICB report...

oohmy
03-24-2006, 01:33 AM
NICB report??? Please explain....

Belair62
03-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Why would an L88 have a Camaro VIN any way ? I would be real meticulous here bud...NICB is National Insurance Crime Bureau report and its not real easy to get...gotta know someone in Law Enforcement who doesn't mind putting his job in jeopardy

oohmy
03-24-2006, 05:30 AM
I think the NICB is out of the equation, is there anything I can look for, on the outside of the engine, to determine if it is a real L88?

PeteLeathersac
03-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Suffixes for GM built '69 L88 Vette motors could be LO, LV, ME, MG, MR and maybe MS? . Could be a CE motor too? . Again what's w/ the Vin stamping if L88 unless Nickey did it to the transplant....get pad pictures. .
~ Pete

COPO
03-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Why would an L-88 in a Camaro have the car's VIN stamped on the pad? It sure did not get stamped at the factory and I have never heard of Nickey or any other dealer stamping VIN's. It certainly could be a fun car being a convertible with an L-88, but I sure would not pay a premium unless you had strong paperwork to prove the car came equipped that way from Nickey. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Charley Lillard
04-04-2006, 02:25 AM
OOHMY....I guess you never bought it. Nickey ad (http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/1/83331271.htm)

Charley Lillard
04-04-2006, 02:27 AM
And according to Colin...I told the seller I would write him a check for 2 mil for the car......As soon as I find that magic check book I misplaced.

oohmy
04-04-2006, 04:36 AM
Thanks for all responses and information--even after I found out that I lost the car--I am still doing homework to confirm whether or not this is a real Nickey. My past collection consisted of full owner documented cars. I would have liked more docs on this particular car before I pulled the trigger, but time ran out. At this time, with the information I have gathered, I don't regret losing out on this car although my homework isn't finished yet--I may find some info that will give me great regret!!! I will keep you posted with my findings.

quick-bowtie
04-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Did someone on here buy the car? Seller said he cant disclose what it sold for?? I dont understand that.. Car is now advertised for the Mecum Auction. Unless there is some bullet proof paper work I cant see car being worth that much at all.