PDA

View Full Version : R59 Delco battery topper???

KnoxvillePig
08-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Could someone provide the link where I can purchase the piece that is placed on the top of new batteries and it makes them appear as the original R59 Delco Batteries?

Also, does anyone have any feedback or opinions on these?

Thanks

Darrell

camarojoe
08-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Toppers Website (http://batterytoppers.com/)

As for opinions... mine is that its a cool idea, and fools people that don't know any better, plus it makes a new battery look a little less ugly in a 60's era engine bay.

KnoxvillePig
08-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for your help Joe. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Darrell

RamAirDave
08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
I agree with Joe. The original style R59s arent great, and it will at least give a correct "look" to the engine compartment.

Bavss70
08-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Darrell,
After you receive the plastic top you will have to spend quite a bit of time finding a good battery to fit underneath. Most batteries are built up too much around the base of the terminals so that the plastic top won't fit down properly. After a bit of a search, I found one that fit well and had clean plain sides to match the original look.
John.

Ngtflyr
08-18-2006, 06:36 PM
John,
Can you enlighten the rest of us as far as the brand and model?
thanks,

Pacecarjeff
08-18-2006, 07:33 PM
You need one with a flat top.
Delco makes one - or some of the discount auto stores have them too.
I got mine at Sams.

Used to only buy the repros, but they just don't last at all. Go with a topper. Not as disapointing when it fails, just go get another for $49 and switch them. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unreal
08-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Why doesn't someone make a "Bottomer" with the correct herringbone sides so that a battery would look correct from the sides, too? Or maybe 4 sided so it would slide over the battery much like the modern battery insulation does.

camarojoe
08-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Probably because of cost... if the top is 50.00, you can figure the "case" would be at least another 50.00 or more, added to the cost of the battery to put inside it, you'd be in the territory of a complete repro battery. Keep in mind they do make sealed R-59 repro's now, so you can get the full "look" without caps and vent holes.

ORIGLS6
08-18-2006, 08:39 PM
"Why doesn't someone make a "Bottomer"

We think alike. At present there isn't a "Topper" for the side post R-79s, although I did approach Carl about them.
I wondered about cutting my repro apart when it finally fails and trying to stuff a smaller battery inside it. Probably not worth the effort though so we'll continue to 'brainstorm' the issue.
BTW, I can recommend the Topper. One thing I would do though; have the Topper in hand before you buy the battery to go under it. That way you can be certain the battery fits under the Topper, not too small; not too big. Just a thought.

Chevy454
08-18-2006, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wondered about cutting my repro apart when it finally fails and trying to stuff a smaller battery inside it. Probably not worth the effort though so we'll continue to 'brainstorm' the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great minds think alike...I was trying to think ahead on our Y-Vega project and am wanting the look of the old side post but would rather run a decent battery inside the repro case...but I couldn't hardly justify buying a repro, just to gut it! If'n you ever do try it with your battery, lemme know the ins/outs...also, if anyone has a repro side post case that they'd like to get rid of, I'd like to try it out...

68l30
08-19-2006, 12:20 AM
I believe there was an article written in Shaw's Musclecar Power about doing this to a Mopar battery....Dave D..wrote it about his Challanger secrets... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Finding a dead R-59 should be easy..... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

Steve

copo69
08-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I got a couple of toppers off ebay for twenty something apiece. I got tired of paying for the repros but what really did it was the last one had started leaking but really didn't do any damage...got lucky. Anyway I always thought the toppers were kind of lame but when I put it in the Camaro you really had to look to see it was a topper. I used a $39.00 NAPA battery made by Exide and it fit really well. It had a fabric carry strap which I folded and placed under the topper....makes it easy to get out of a 69 Camaro which is kind of a tight fit. I put some velcro to hold it in place. Beats the hell out of paying for the repop but the leaking is what did it for me. I understand the sealed version of the R59 is OK but isn't it over 200 bucks? Should the car go someplace with hardcore judging then I have a good selection of dead R59's to choose from to pop in place for judging. I also put one in the Biscayne but it doesn't look as good as the battery is out in the open more and the topper is more visible. Caps look a little cheesey, especially the Delco Eye.....think I'll cut up an original to fit and maybe use the repro's caps.

ORIGLS6
08-19-2006, 07:45 AM
I was looking at batteries for someone a few weeks ago. Gotta agree; Exide looked to be the best fit for the toppers. Fairly smooth top, and a Black Case. That's probably the direction I'll take for my Nova.
What are the inside dimensions of the R59 topper?

mssl72
08-19-2006, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I would do though; have the Topper in hand before you buy the battery to go under it. That way you can be certain the battery fits under the Topper, not too small; not too big. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100%. I luckily had my topper with me when I was picking up a battery. The guy ordered the most heavy duty AC/DELCO battery for me. It turned out to be a dual connection battery with both top and side terminals on it. I went to drop the topper on it and the top posts were too far apart! So we found another battery there to get the demensions of the posts, went through the book and found a nice 7 year battery. The topper fit like a glove and fools everybody. Buy one. Another thing I would recommend is to put a little blob of some silicone glue on the underside of the caps to hold them in place after you put them on. I know some guys that have lost caps after a while. Mine are still firmly in place.

Pacecarjeff
08-19-2006, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at batteries for someone a few weeks ago. Gotta agree; Exide looked to be the best fit for the toppers. Fairly smooth top, and a Black Case. That's probably the direction I'll take for my Nova.
What are the inside dimensions of the R59 topper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exide was the one I got at Sams Club $39.00 - perfect fit.
I cut the straps off, and peeled all the lables.
You have to look very close.

I too, thought the toppers were "cheesy" a few years back, but I got very tired of replacing my r-59 repros almost every year. Used to be able to get them from New Castle for $99, those days are gone. I still have 1 that is seeming to last forever, but when it fails I will use the topper.

WILMASBOYL78
08-21-2006, 05:41 AM
I have been using the Delco professional top post model 36H6YR.....fits like an R59 and the topper goes on well. Also took a "real" sidepost from the day and "gutted" it. Planning on using a small hi-po style battery inside and connecting the terminals and then fabricate a bottom. As for the repro sealed or acid style...you can keep them! Only thing I would ever use is an acid style without the acid..just for looks. Those things are just time bombs waiting to go off!

wilma http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

mssl72
08-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm using an AC/Delco Professional Series battery as well, model 24-7YR. I also have one of those battery mats from Eastwood under the battery, even though the battery is sealed. It helps to protect the battery tray by giving a little cushion.

mrrec
08-21-2006, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wondered about cutting my repro apart when it finally fails and trying to stuff a smaller battery inside it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did this with one of the many failed repro R59s I have. I bought an Odyssey battery from Summit at about $120.00(they're OK to install on their side). You have to cut the bottom and the top out of the old battery to get the mess out (I neutralized the acid with baking soda - be careful it gasses a lot!), made brass strip (about .040 x 1") long enough and with the proper bends to connect batt to batt. I drilled and tapped the bottom (inside) of the posts. I sheared an aluminum plate and screwed it to the underside of the battery for the new bottom. I used insulating foam-in-a-can to hold the battery in the battery. Epoxy the top back on and you're set. It takes a couple of hours, so if you value your time at all, you aren't saving any real $$.

Incidentally, look in the cap holes of your "new" sealed R59 from Antique Auto Battery - this is what they're doing except starting with a new case, obviously.

Dave

Mr70
08-22-2006, 06:04 AM
I was talking w/Tom @ Restoration Battery,and he said the same thing.Once New Castle went tits up,Antique just bought up the remaining R-59 cases and installed a maintence free cell inside.
This summer I picked up two beautiful dead R-59 Delcos at a swap,with the intention of trying this out this winter during a Bye week.
I was one of the scant few who gave Tom Shaw a no interest loan to sit on for 18 mos.,with only that one earlier referenced issue to show for it.
The Dave D. article in it is very informative with pics and procedures,so I figure it might have been worth it if it will keep me from buying a $270 R-59 Maintence free batt.
I was going to try it with a Dyna-Batt inside.

mrrec
08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
By the way, New Castles assets were purchased and the old name Turbo Start is back in business. They say they'll have the resto batteries back in the pipe by the end of the year. Hope they make them better than the last owners.......
Dave

ORIGLS6
08-22-2006, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Dave D. article in it is very informative with pics and procedures,

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick,
Could we get a copy of that, or could you post it here? I'm really getting interested in this. I'm guessing the side post units might be more of a challenge, but I have a use for an R-59 as well.

Does anyone have pix of their 'conversion'?

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Pacecarjeff
08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Yes, the New Castle batteries did not last as long as they should have.
But New Castle was very good about pro-rating them under their 3 year warantee. I have no complaints about the company.

Just hope the new compamy is as service minded.

I would like to see that article also, I have 2 dead soldiers here. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

ORIGLS6
08-22-2006, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no complaints about the company.

Just hope the new compamy is as service minded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. They were very understanding and helpful when my first battery failed. They shipped the new one Next Day Air and paid the return shipping for the bad one. Then, someone 'lost' the caps from my battery at a show. I called them for some replacements and they sent them free of charge. Can't say much bad about service like that. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif