PDA

View Full Version : Lost Title Question

TOYVET
10-20-2006, 07:19 PM
A family member would like to sell their 1969 Corvette and I would like to buy it (it has been in the family since 1983). He lost the title of ownership and all bills/receipts pertaining to the car in a move up from Florida...Is their a way that he can get a new title as a replacement, so I can purchase the car from him. We are located in New York State...Thanks in advance..
Greg

bigchevydaddy
10-20-2006, 07:37 PM
If the vette was previously registered in Florida, they should still have it on file by VIN. He needs to request a duplicate title be sent to his new address.

Good luck BCD.

PeteLeathersac
10-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Where was the car last registered? .
Do you still have the last plates registered to the car? .
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
~ Pete

TOYVET
10-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks...will have him contact FLA DMV...said it was last registered in Fla in 1991.

TOYVET
10-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Here is an update...
After he tore the house apart he found the Fla title from 1999. Thought we were done w/ it. BUT it seems when the car was registered in Fla, the VIN was transcribed and they left off one digit in the sequential # so the title has a VIN # with one missing numeral...You have to be kidding me. Went to NY DMV late afternoon with the owner to transfer title to me and this is how we found this problem. DMV worker sends me away and tells me I have to get insurance first, and then register the car as the car is too old for a title transfer BUT here is the KICKER...I cannot register the car with the correct VIN, I have to use the incorrect, missing one numeral VIN from the FLA title...What the heck..How is this possible ? No one knew anything at the DMV and I am at a dead end on what to do now...Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks;
Greg

budnate
10-21-2006, 07:11 AM
you need to have the car inspected and correct vin noted by a local NY officer, send this with a letter to the right person in Florida and they will send out a new title with the correction, not to much hassle really. not that hard, it obvious the title is short a number.

Ngtflyr
10-21-2006, 05:45 PM
I had a 69 Chevelle ragtop with a Illinios title. Took the car to the AZ DMV to change the title. My heart sank when the lady who checked the vin against the title and one digit was missing. I thought it was going to be a major ordeal, especially considering the problems I always encountered at the AZ DMV. Actually their acronym is screwed up, it is the VMD/ MVD something stupid like that, I always fill out the checks wrong. Back to the Chevelle, much to my surprise she completed the title transfer and said it was an obvious error, the digit designating it was a Convertible was missing and she corrected it on the spot. Only time I ever left that place with a smile on my face. You can bet I am more careful checking vins against titles now.

PeteLeathersac
10-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Perhaps you can go to the DMV again (a different office perhaps?) and just get the title transfered as is with the missing digit and making no mention of the problem? .

If the Vin hasn't been flagged and the transfer happens Ok, it may be easier to go back again later and have them correct something that's already registered to you? .

Maybe even take a pencil rubbing of the Vin w/ you so if they notice the mistaken missing digit you can act surprised and pull the rubbing out of your pocket and let them do whatever they want then? .

Good luck! .
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
~ Pete