PDA

View Full Version : COPO out of Ohio,

rhurst
02-06-2007, 12:11 AM
First let me say thanks for letting me post on this site. I am trying to locate the original owner of a COPO camaro I just purchased out of Cinn. Ohio. I have talked to 5 prev. owners and the last was a Mike Judy. He does not remember who he purchased the car from. He siad the car was delivered to him on a trailer by the people he purchased it from. They told him they were raceing a car at Edgewater Sports Park in Cinn. and needed the extra money to put in the car they were running at the time(some where in the 70s). The car was a code 71 blue and still had the steel wheels with the dog dish caps, black interior, non spoiler.He informed me he had thrown those old ugly wheels and caps in the junk pile and installed wire wheels, also painted the car red. I have seen several post on this site from people who live or have lived in the Cinn. area, and I thought some one who raced at Edgewater or live close might remember something. I have had 2 COPOs in the past and they were both from Cinn. I did not do any research on the other 2 due to the fact that I owned them long ago and the internet was not around and not many people in my area knew much about these cars. I live in Campton Ky. next to Brewers Chevrolet, They had the Yellow ZL1 that was lost for so many years. My brother-in law pulled out the original engine and installed it in Brewers race car. (put in a crate L88 and sold as a new car). I found the car in Walled Lake Mi. in a shed, so nothing is imposible. I know I am takeing a shot in the dark, but who knows. To any one who reads this, I thank you for your time. If any one remembers my car or anything about it I will be deeply indebted. Thank You, Robert Hurst

PeteLeathersac
02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Cool story and glad you're here Robert!.

Gotta' ask...you related to George?.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif
~ Pete

scuncio
02-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Aaargh, Walled Lake? That's just down the road from me. I would love to hear the story about how you tracked down the car!

69L72RS
02-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Good Score.

Do you know if it is one of the May or July cars from Queen City?

eric

rhurst
02-07-2007, 07:05 PM
The car I now have is a 7A car. Ser# 124379N665628. I do not know if it was a Queen Chev. car. All I have been told was it was purchased new in Cinn. and had always stayed in that area. thanks

scuncio
02-08-2007, 01:33 AM
How did it end up in Walled Lake? Nice find.

camaromb
02-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Robert,
The ZL1 Camaro from Campton still had the L88 in it when it was purchased 8-9 years ago. The owner of the ZL1 had moved to Arizona. The buyer had kept in touch with him over the years. When he sold the ZL1 he took a brown RS Copo from Frost Chev. as partial trade. He really regretted selling the ZL1. He restored the RS Copo and later sold it. The ZL1 engine is still in Kentucky correct? It would be nice to see the original motor back with the car. Larry C. did a great job restoring that ZL1.
Also, there are a number of original dealer invoices that exist for the Queen City Copo cars. Maybe you car is one of those. Good luck!
Mark

rhurst
02-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Mark, The engine still sits in an old service station about an hour from me. One of the 2 brothers who purchased the old race car has passed away. They were very close friends of mine. The brother, Orvil is still living and still loves to talk to me about the old ZL1 engine. He has a recliner sitting next to it so he can talk and rest at the same time. Millard who died has two sons that are running roundtrack cars and are holding up the family tradition of keeping the old engine sitting in the corner. I heard it might be for sale a few months back, but not true. I went and talked to them as soon as I was told. I would also love to see the engine back with the car. Its a crying shame that its not.I tried to buy the engine before I had even located the car. Scott in Walled Lake did not know the car was a ZL1, he thought it was just an old big block. He still had the warranty plate so I am sure it is still with the car. I told him what he had (after I could not buy the car, I always dreamed of bringing the car back home). The fellow who bought the car new, droped a valve in the L88 and traded it back in at Brewers Chev. on a 1970 Mustang. (Great move). A man out of Jasckson Ky. then bought the car and took it to Walled Lake. He sold the car to Scott B. for $2500 and it sat for years with plans of being restored.I called Ed C. and told him about the car because I knew everyone had been searching. Bob Spurlock, a sales person at Brewers had sent him a copy of the paper work on the car and I think I have looked at that in a book of some kind in the past. Bob has now passed away, fine person. He is one of the people who put me on the trail of the car. Brewers wanted a ZL1 engine for their race car but Chev. would not let them order a crate engine without ordering a car. That is why Brewer ended up with the yellow car. They got the crate engine before the car came in, put it in the race car and blew the side out of the block. Then is when they pulled the engine out of the car and installed the L88. The engine that was blown up went to Ind. cut in half, made into a 4 cyl, and run in midget car. Did you buy the car from M. M.? Just curious, he is friend and I know the car went through him.Well I have rattled on enough with history on the old car, Hope I did not wear everyone out with a boring story. Do you have any idea who would now have Queen Citys records.

Charley Lillard
02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
My friend has the yellow ZL1 now so if the engine ever does come up for sale please let us know.

rhurst
02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I will keep a close eye on the engine.They will call if it ever comes up for sale(I hope) If it does, I will get in touch with you. I know where the car is now but do not know the present owner personaly. About 3 weeks ago I gave a Brewers Chevrolet front lic. plate that they used in 69, also some Brewers Chevrolet key fobs, to a friend who was to get them to the present owner. I thought he would enjoy them. Brewers Chev. still exist but has a new owner and a name change. Now Andersons Chevrolet. Robert

six-corners
02-11-2007, 08:04 AM
PM's sent.