PDA

View Full Version : Church bus/van: any suggestions?

Chevy454
04-04-2007, 05:18 AM
The small church we're members of is kicking around getting a bus/van to help with transporting our youth to/from summer camp, as well as helping some of our *older* members who don't like to drive. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Anything to avoid, or look out for, or...? Maybe a 12-15 passenger van, or a 16-20 passenger bus...they're not for sure of anything, except they'd like to keep it under $7k.

Any help is appreciated, 'cause they're kinda leaning on me to help 'em find something! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

rubbinisracing
04-04-2007, 05:53 AM
The high capacity vans have a terrible rollover rate so try and keep it to 11 passaenger capacity and under. Some other issues to consider are storage to keep vandalism down. "You" may also become the church van mechanic. Whoever drives it may need a chauffers liscense. Many chuches struggle with this issue and after owning a van end up using car pools to solve these issues. No easy answer!

bruno17
04-04-2007, 06:55 AM
I sell used Fords and GM's and I would recommend a Ford for heavy duty use. The interior on the GM is too fragile.I'm basing this on what my customers are telling me.Try to find a four/five year old high mileage unit with a gas engine that looks like it had maintenance.

mudjnky
04-04-2007, 05:45 PM
One of my customers had a small bus built on an E450, it was a little bigger than a passenger van, but more stable. It also had lower entry and easier access to seats, better for the elderly. Check with a local bus company, they usually get them in on trade from people upgrading. If you go with a Ford chassis, bus or van, check the brakes and front end real good. They are known for fast brake wear and ball joints. This is not a bad thing, you just don't want to spend all your money buying one and then spend more money on repairs. Hope this helps.

mrrec
04-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Rob:
16 or more passengers (including driver) requires a CDL in Iowa (and I think all of US). A friend's church bought a big 'ol Greyhound-type bus. Last I heard it was a maintenance nightmare.....
Good luck.
Dave