PDA

View Full Version : Garage Advise Question 1

enio45
05-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Im building a garage - 21x50. I was thinking of making a central vac system using the largest sears wet / dry shop vac and plumbing the garage with 4 or 5 vac ports so all i need is the hose in the main garage. I'm considering putting the vac unit in the storage room along with the compressor. Any thoughts on this - anyone done this before using the sears shop vac approach...seems simple enought??. I also need to think about the on/off switch aspect, maybe get some of the home central vac wired recepticals where all you do is open the flap.

Canuck
05-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I use sears shop vacs but they are not built in> I suspect you will experience a volume drop if you go with a plumbed in Shop vac and a lot of pipe. Built in home units (Beam Etc) are designed to draw through 2" pipe. Shop vacs use 3-4 inch pipe.

JRSully
05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Hoover makes a specific Garage vac called the GUV, it is a large canister vac that mounts on the wall with a 25 ft hose. It is really powerful, works very nice and is very easy to clean, might be an option.

GRB
05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
One of the tools mags (Groits maybe) has a powerful vac that can be mounted vert. or hor. and has an extra long hose. I put it in the center of my garage and it reaches everywhere. $399 I think.

enio45
05-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the tips....i looked at the GUV - 199.00 does it do wet and dry or just dry? Sears also makes a wall mount one as well. Question - if i use the sears large 6hp one with 20gal - and i plumbed the garage with 2in pipe vs the vac size of 3-4 inch...would i not increase the vacumn at the attachement port?

I would still like to get it out of sight vs have hanging on the wall - but open to more thoughts.....Griots one looks pretty nice as well hanging on the wall.

Donutblue
05-17-2007, 04:08 AM
Don't forget once you start sucking up all those liquids everything in-line between the vacum and cannister is going to be just as wet. Also, where is the cannister going to be when you need to carry and dump it ? You can be creating more work for yourself.