PDA

View Full Version : Bill 203 street racing

P.J.
08-01-2007, 08:24 PM
http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/members/members_detail.do?locale=en&ID=2112

try this link for the complete copy and read to the bottom for all details - has received royal assent and some sections already in force

Street racing
Section 172 prohibits street racing. The current penalty for street racing is a $200 minimum and $1,000 maximum fine or six months imprisonment, or both a fine and imprisonment, and a maximum driver’s licence suspension of two years. The fine is increased to a $2,000 minimum and $10,000 maximum. The driver’s licence suspension is increased to a maximum of two years for a first offence and a maximum of 10 years for a subsequent offence. In addition, there will be a seven-day administrative driver’s licence suspension and vehicle impoundment. The driver’s licence suspensions will apply not only to people with Ontario driver’s licences, but to drivers licensed by another jurisdiction as well.

New section 172.1 is enacted. It prohibits driving a motor vehicle equipped with a nitrous oxide fuel system except where the nitrous oxide connection is not operational.

This is an e-mail that I sent to our local MP and MPP regarding the new bill 203 that is supposed to curtail street racing. Someone could have worded things better, but I think that they will get the idea any way. I think a lot of other car people had better be firing off e-mails to their local MPPs as well. The whole legislation is pretty bad in it's present form.
Keith

Having been in the old car hobby most of my life, I read with interest the article in Performance in Motion magazine. I have a hard time believing what I read. If it is true, then those formulating the law, really have no understanding of the car hobby. These people are basically going out with a big club in a crowd of people and swinging it mindlessly, hoping to hit someone or something. They will probably hit 10 innocent people for every guilty one. I know people who build cars that would be far more suited to be run on the track. 800 horsepower isn't uncommon these days. These same guys put put these cars around for show and nothing more. I have yet to see one of these guys really let one of these cars go on the street. They are posers and know what their cars are capable of. At the same time, I see kids in completely stock little cars, screaming down the road like the idiots that they are. Perhaps that isn't fair to idiots. These appear to be the ones apparently getting everyone killed in Toronto in their completely stock cars, not the modified cars that the legislation is taking aim at.
I'd be the last one to condone street racing, or drag racing on the street. Two entirely different things. Back around 1970, a friend of mine was killed in Ennismore when a group was out there drag racing one night. So I was told, an idiot came back through the starting line area at about 100 mph and took Ken right out of his shoes. I'm certainly glad that I wasn't there to see the mess. Ken's parents didn't need to be burying him either.
Although something has to be done, it is pretty hard to legislate against stupidity. They will just invent a better idiot. Again idiots aren't so foolish. The sledge hammer aspect of this bill would be better suited to the gun toting murderers in Toronto. I understand they are having a record year and need the attention.
I would like to get a copy of this proposed legislation. I'd hate to have one of our cars crushed because some police officer decided that they were built to race. I'm restoring a 1969 COPO 427 Chevelle with a 425 horsepower engine. Does that qualify as a race car for street racing. We have a 1972 Lemans with a 455 engine and 360 horsepower. Sounds pretty racy to me. How about our 1969 SS396 Chevelle with the 375 hp 396 engine. That sounds racy too. All I might need under the new legislation is some rooky policeman trying to make a name for himself, and I could be out a car or two. Not what I have in mind.
With the proposed legislation it would appear that I would have more rights if I murdered someone than if I took one of our cars to town.
Sincerely: Keith Tedford
I am passing this email on for your information
PJ