PDA

View Full Version : 427 engine options for 1969

HiHorse
08-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Its interesting that the L88 option did not show up in the 1969 Camaros and yet the ZL1 and L72 did. Also you would think that if a L72 could be had , why not a L71 tripower.
My thoughts on a rainy Sunday. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Keith Tedford
08-13-2007, 01:25 AM
With the L72, you had an engine that was a good daily driver, that wasn't finicky or hard to keep in tune, from my experience. It even started at 32 degrees below zero. With our car, you could drive grandma around town in stop and go traffic and never ruffle a feather. On the other end was the ZL1, an all out race engine, if you wanted to go to the track. The L71 and L88 wouldn't have added much in the way of alternatives although the L88 would have been a lot cheaper option than the ZL1. GM probably had their own reasons, or perhaps they just built what dealers COPO ordered.

Stefano
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
You could just pick up the phone and order and L88 or L71 Super Car from Nickey Chevrolet. They sold a few http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

There was a Nickey L88 Corvette which was special ordered by a Canadian Businessman, who would come to Chicago and stop in at the dealership. Don Swiatek built that car himself.

The fact that the factory did not do it and that it took the largest Chevy dealer of the day, as well as significant others,(Yenko, Gibb, Dana, Allen Green, Baldwin Motion, Scuncio, ect.) serves to Make existing examples very special cars!

PS. This is also what makes the SCR so special. You get to see these cars up close in person and if we're lucky, in action as well.

Next Chance to see a real L88 Tri-Power Stage III Nickey Camaro as well as other Super Cars will be at the Fall Chevy Vette Fest!

William
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
First of all the L72 and ZL-1 were not RPOs. Any order for them was routed through Central Office for processing. Most Chevy dealers did not know [or care] of their existance.

The main reason there were no Camaro/Chevelle RPO 427 engine options was a GM Corporate Policy: no engine over 400 cubic inches allowed in cars less than full-size. I believe that was the reason Olds farmed out responsibility for the 455-powered '68-'69 Hurst Olds, which were installed by Olds.

There was a strongly worded Chevrolet Dealer Service Bulletin issued in '68 or '69 warning dealers of the possible business and legal consequences of modifying new cars including swapping engines not offered as an option.

HiHorse
08-15-2007, 02:17 AM
L88's were around since '67, racers were aware of them, it's interesting that one did not make it into a Camaro through the COPO route. Maybe there is a reason why it didn't?

Kim_Howie
08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
12.5 compression & over heating was two reasons, they were very tempermental. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Keith Tedford
08-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Although the L72 and ZL1 weren't RPOs, they were easy to order. If you knew the COPO code, it too was as easy as going in to your dealer and ordering the car. Unfortunately the COPO codes weren't overly advertised, but they were out there for those eager to look. The dealer we worked through sold three COPO Chevelles and an L88 Vette, not to mention quite a few SS Chevelles and hipo Camaros.

HiHorse
08-16-2007, 04:29 PM
The original owner to my '69 Camaro said that he was aware of the 427's (racer at Cayuga) but ordered the L78 because he would of had to wait.

Keith Tedford
08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
My buddy ordered his COPO Chevelle in early calendar year 1969 and it didn't come in until July. The other two COPOs were roughly in the same time frame. I have the notion that perhaps Yenko may have been give a very good opportunity to sell his cars before the rest were released. Just a thought.

TimG
08-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Ah what could have been. Could you imagine a tri-power L89 427 Camaro, Nova or Chevelle? How about an L88 Nova from the factory. There are so many amazing combinations to ponder that could have appeared from the factory.

HiHorse
08-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Looks like the Corvette had every 427 combination in 1969 except for L72. I would think 1969 was the most exciting year for the BigBlock high horse fan.