PDA

View Full Version : Under 65...

Mr70
01-22-2008, 06:32 AM
We survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms.......WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

Playing Army with all the kids in the area,and building forts.

And if you got in trouble in school,you were more worried about what your father would do to you when he got home.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell,or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

If you fell down at a neighbors house,you were picked up,brushed off an told all was OK.No one would file a lawsuit with you later on to own that very same house.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.They actually sided with the law.

Our Moms used to defrost hamburger on the counter and some of us used to eat it raw.Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag,not in ice-pack coolers,but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool,no beach closures then.

We all took gym,not PE .. and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option . even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself?

The past 60 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,and we learned how to deal with it all.These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever in the history of mankind..

If you grew up with these or anyothers,feel free to add on..

01-22-2008, 06:54 AM
That sounds a lot like a song I heard on the radio today. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
James

Nova Jed
01-22-2008, 07:16 AM
I did not live in this era, but I learned what my parents have taught me. I grew up learning the same values that you had mentioned in your post and totally agree with all of that.

I am one of those kids that lived my life with the value of playing outside, playing baseball in the summer, building forts out in the woods and having good fun with my friends when it snowed or we were all bored in the neighborhood. You could ride your bike for a couple of miles and not have to worry about getting picked up by some pedofile. Go throw toilet paper around trees on Halloween and not have to worry about the cops coming. Set fireworks off in the backyard without the fire company coming. Make phone calls from the "house" phone and fight over who gets to watch what show when. Listen to foul language movies without repeating the words around grown ups. Work on model cars without the side affects of becoming brain dead. Working at age 14 because I wanted to.

I didn't do what everyone else did because it was popular. I did my own thing. I worked on bikes and made ramps and bent rims and changed them. I popped my tires and patched them. I took apart a cookoo clock and put it back together and I didn't even have directions. I took apart a 307 in my Nova before I knew what valve timing was and got that running better then it was before and didn't call a mechanic.

My parents weren't caught up in keeping up with the "Jone's" but, keeping up with their kids studies. And when the sun went down, we were in the backyard catching lighting bugs. When my parents split up, I was 11 and mowed the grass for my Mom because I knew she didn't have time. I lived in a rural area when I was a kid and moved to the burbs when I was a teenager and it was a culture shock to me.

I don't own any video games and I don't have a dvd player, but it's sad to know that society has become greedy and marketing plays a key in the necessities of our daily lives. You need a computer for certain jobs and cell phones to keep in touch with everyone because no one is ever home. It's become easier to get on the internet and read something instead of finding space for books. Everything has been made to be a convenience because no one has patients. Jobs are "hurry up and get it done" because "we don't care about quality" type attitude. Or the "ah who cares if it doesn't last forever, make it cheap so people will have to by another one sooner". I'm sorry to go off, but my one friend and I would talk about the same things that you have mentioned all the time. I have had this conversation with my parents and my friend's parents all the time and the one thing that they say is, "you kids don't have it like we did." Meaning, they think it was a lot easier to live comfortable when they were starting out.

Ha, how about dating? WOW! Try to find a good woman nowadays that isn't caught up like these girls on these TV shows. I'm 27 and I myself have no clue what the hell this world is coming to? If I would ever get married and have kids, the odds are against me before I even get started. If I would raise kids like I was, I'd be in jail for child abuse because some official saw a bruse on my kid's arm and said it was abuse and not punishment for something they did. Where does it start to be the end of this crap. I still wonder what this world would have been like if John Lennon was never killed and yes I was alive when he was shot. FWIW, just my .02.

Jed

69LM1
01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
"Sigh"
Just had this battle with my 9yr old. Had to force him to learn to ride his bike w/o trining wheels. Gnashing of teeth and crying all the way, but he finally did it between "Dad, are you trying to kill me or somethin" and "my butt hurts" http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's one I'll add-
Picking up leftover bottle rockets (now illegal) and making a bomb out of the leftovers.

Now you are a terrorist if you do that!

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Anybody ever made a potato gun? Now those were fun!

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
We used to take cardboard tubes and make bottle rocket bazookas out of them and have bottle rocket wars. We would have teams and shoot them at each other. Aslo used to break open black cats to make bigger bombs

Ahhhh the good old days, you could watch a nuclear blast with raybans on and no one cared!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Z-11 396
01-22-2008, 05:57 PM
+++ Rick +++ I fully agree, and I grew up just like that, I'm over 65, and I look at the kid's, as well as my own, and think are they better off, HA, if it wern't for our support, they would be in alot more debt than they already are.. If they have a problem , they can't call fast enough, if you try to give advise, Ha, never take it, YES, it's my fault to a point, but I love them, but oh what hell they put me through at times... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif..Kasey

427TJ
01-22-2008, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, my mother smoked all during her pregnancy with me (I was born in '62) and I was delivered not breathing and had to be resuscitated and then lived three weeks in an oxygen tent. My mother was so upset that she took me out of the tent and tried to take me home one night and the Air Police found her walking toward base housing (Robins AFB, GA) with me wrapped in a blanket. They put me back in the hospital. Then my dad came to sit with me and I started choking on the gook in my lungs and throat. He grabbed me from the panicked nurse and held me upside-down by my feet and slammed me on my back until all the gook came out of my lungs. He said my gray color went away and I instantly reddened-up looked like a normal baby. So, not everything about the good old days was so good. Yes, I survived but just barely.

Riding bikes without helmets all day long and your parents had no idea where you were until you came home for dinner was pretty neat though!

quick-bowtie
01-23-2008, 12:36 AM
AMEN' to the first post.

Dog427435
01-23-2008, 12:36 AM
My Mom would put me out and say "go play". There was no question as to where, she knew I'd be around. In the winter I knew when the street lights came on, I needed to be home. In the summer the fire departments six o'clock whistle was the signal.
We thought nothing of hitchhiking anywhere we needed to go, everyone did, it was an accepted means of transportation.
The man from the Crestwood Dairy would come by about 4:30 in the morning in his Divco, dripping water from the ice that kept the milk in the back cold. Once in a while we'd sneak a note to leave some chocolate milk or orange juice into the milk box.
Ten cents bought you a Hostess turnover that was full of filling. A nickel got you a coke to go with it. The deposit on the bottle was two cents, so scrounging for empties in the weeds could get you enough cash for both.
The Police were respected and feared. If a Cop told you to do something - you did.
If a Cop kicked your butt for screwing around, the last thing you'd want to do was tell your Dad.

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-23-2008, 12:51 AM
10/4

I remember, you whatever the cops or your teachers did to you was nothing compared to what Dad was going to do when he found out!!!!!!!!!!!

I also remember if you got away from the cops they knew who you were anyway and would be sitting in the drive when you got home! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The other thing was you never and I mean NEVER disrespected or pissed off a Chicago cop or you got your lunch handed to you right there no questions asked.

CanadianPoncho
01-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Remember all the kids on the block playing hide go seek until it was too dark to see? I remember us having slingshots and building "forts" from tractor tire inner-tubes and shooting berries from our mountain ash tree at each other. Remember all your buddies coming over with their Hot Wheels or Matchbox cases and picking our "rides" and driving them on dirt roads made in the garden? Ahh-those were the days..
Todd

Mr70
01-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Ha!...we too played in the dirt with our HotWheels,so much so that our friends Moms would not allow us to enter their yards carrying the lil 4 wheeled gofers,as one Mom put it.
I grew up down the street from the Ovaltine factory.
Thir 6 O'clock whistle was our sign to go home & eat during the spring/summer months.
When we realized we could get a nickel for one bottle,we scoured for every Bubble Up bottle we could find,right after watching the Banana Splits of course.
After 1968,we saw the Chicago police in a whole new light too.
"Roll up the windows & obey everrrry traffic light",my Dad would say.

Chateau Slate 66
01-23-2008, 02:37 AM
I had a great collection of Matchbox cars until I had the idea to play "car crusher" with my Dad's bench vice. It was fun to watch the windows pop out and watch them crush like the big machines at the salvage yard.

What an idiot... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif

Nova Jed
01-23-2008, 02:41 AM
To this day, it's talked about at holidays of Jed's death stump. That's where I smashed all of the Matchbox cars I could find with a rock hammer. LOL http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-23-2008, 02:56 AM
How bout the "Wrist Rocket"

Major slingshot

could buy it at the 5 & Dime didnt even need a parent with you

Dave Rifkin
01-23-2008, 03:14 AM
This is a very interesting post; I too remember most of the things you guys are mentioning. It worries me that the majority of kids these days can't even figure out how much change to give you at the register unless the register calculates it for them.
They seem to have no imagination and need video games to provide entertainment. When I was a kid I was more than content with a yellow Tonka dump truck, a "real" GI Joe, not some miniature thing they pass off as a GI Joe these days, or some Hot Wheels and I could entertain myself for hours.
I am glad I grew up when I did; I cherish the memories of being outside with my friends doing whatever all day. I never had to concern myself with my diet because I would burn whatever I ate off running around all day. Kids these days wouldn't last an hour with me and my friends back then; they'd be hunched over gasping for breath.

Maybe I'm jusy getting too old but, I think we grew up in a great time and I wouldn't change a thing.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the great memories I have of seeing the musclecars roaming the streets, doing burnouts and even riding in my Dad's Shelby while we got involved in some street races.

WILMASBOYL78
01-23-2008, 03:22 AM
I only have one thought....what ever happened to Lincoln Logs???

wilma http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/313530-Set1930s.jpg

firstgenaddict
01-23-2008, 03:57 AM
I remember damming the creek then catching crawdads and salamanders. Playing war and hide-n-go seek for hours... foorball in the street...
Then the bottlerocket wars... I have more burn scars from those... LOL Roman candles bouncing off the other guys...
It is a wonder we never got hurt!

P.J.
01-23-2008, 04:01 AM
are we better off today??
PJ

01-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Don't forget about the bb gun fights. My brother still has a scar between his eyes from a bb.
James

L72COPO
01-23-2008, 04:25 AM
I have it better than my parents had it and my kids have it better than I did. And that is the way it is suppose to be. I vividly remember and have done everthing mentioned in this thread and miss and yearn for it all. If nothing had changed I don't think we would have progressed to where we are today. Are we better off today, materially yes. Ethically,emotionally and morally no way.

I'm also under 65 but not by much.

Don

firstgenaddict
01-23-2008, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget about the bb gun fights. My brother still has a scar between his eyes from a bb.
James

[/ QUOTE ]

We used to tell my brother to dance... and then shoot at his feet with the Red Ryder BB guns... thought it was really funny back then...

Yes materially we are better off but is that really a way to guage if we the human race are better off as a whole? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

agtw31
01-23-2008, 04:47 AM
back in the day,you could buy a bag of pot with paper route money,now you need a visa card to afford the crap.

firstgenaddict
01-23-2008, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
back in the day,you could buy a bag of pot with paper route money,now you need a visa card to afford the crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

If pot was the worst we had to worry about it would be great!

Xplantdad
01-23-2008, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have it better than my parents had it and my kids have it better than I did. And that is the way it is suppose to be. I vividly remember and have done everthing mentioned in this thread and miss and yearn for it all. If nothing had changed I don't think we would have progressed to where we are today. Are we better off today, materially yes. Ethically,emotionally and morally no way.

I'm also under 65 but not by much.

Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...You are right Don!

Okay...did anyone besides me and my brother pop out the windows in matchbox cars and insert bottle rockets to make rocket cars (That blew up at the end...LOL)?

How about tennis ball cannons with lighter fluid...? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hmmm.gif

firstgenaddict
01-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Rocket cars used to Rock... whistling bottle rockets worked the best with the plastic housing...

x Baldwin Motion
01-23-2008, 05:02 AM
don't get me started about making things that go boom. I'm not sure about the statute of limitations. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif long before Algore invented the internet we were drilling holes in black pipe and capping it after stuffing it with match heads and black powder from cut open shot gun shells. when we ran out of caps we melted fishing weights into globs and the homemade cannon was born. ouch!
lucky to be alive and free and I damn well know it. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

427TJ
01-23-2008, 05:12 AM
17 years old, sitting at the kitchen table with two buddies, each with a brick of firecrackers breaking them open one by one and making a softball-sized pile of powder on a piece of typing paper. Roll it carefully into a ball, insert some waterproof wick meant for Estes model rockets, wrap the whole thing in duct tape. Walk out onto the golf course Friday night after dark and set it in the cup on the 11th green and light it. Run like hell and hide maybe 50 yards away and wait. BOOM! Laugh like hell and then go look at the blast zone. Huge crater where the cup used to be. "Oh sh*t!!!" Make another one the next day and light it after dark Saturday night and drop it into one of the ponds along the fairway. Run like hell. Muffled "whump" and a column of water shoots up 15 feet. Go back on Sunday morning and look at 100s of dead fish on the grass around the perimeter of the pond and laugh hysterically. Or so I heard.

firstgenaddict
01-23-2008, 05:47 AM
"Or so I heard."
I love that disclaimer...
Used to take smoke bombs and during the pep rallies in the school gym drop them down the bleachers... smoke out the gym... then one day got the bright idea to put one in the homecoming mascot float in front of the school and make it smoke... problem is smoke bombs shoot a flame out in the beginning... flames and a tissue papered float don't mix... caught the whole thing on fire burned up everything but the chicken wire... blamed it on the rival highschool... or so I heard... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-23-2008, 06:21 AM
If you put a bolt or a nail in the little hole on the latch to the mailbox so the door couldnt open the sides blew out, so I heard

tom406
01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Kid at my high school attempted the homemade pipe bomb thing in 10th grade. Blew his right thumb off of his hand...

12th grade came and suddenly Dave had a thumb again! Kind of. Docs transplanted his second toe onto his hand and hooked everything up to work. Worked good...but..still looked like a toe.

But hey, we need that opposable thumb though. It helps to separate us from the more primitive creatures. At least I thought so until I started reading this thread..... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dog427435
01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Had the same thing happen to a 10th grade friend.
Decided to build a bomb to blow up a raccoon lair in his back yard.
He took a couple of boxes of 22 's and popped the tops off and emptied the powder into an expended CO2 cartridge.
Wanting to finish later he decided to cap the cartridge so the powder would stay dry.
You guessed it, he carefully tapped an unexpended 22 shell into the opening while holding the cartridge against his leg. One tap on the rim fire cartridge and he blew the last two fingers off his left hand from the knuckle down and a hole in the refrigerator across from him big enough to get a beer out of!
In the politically incorrect way of the sixties one of the older guys down at the gas station named him Three Finger Brown after a early 1900's ball player. He is still referred to by that nickname today.

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
The past 60 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,and we learned how to deal with it all.These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever in the history of mankind..

As we recall the experiences of our youth, and see the many achievements made by the the risk takes and the competitors of the passing generation and the sacrafices and courage of the greatest generation before them. I have to wonder how the lessons learned from the, even the playing field, lets build self esteem, he didn't mean it crowd will turn out.

Remember competition taught us to be gracious winners by teaching us the pain of loosing.

mudjnky
01-23-2008, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My 4 year old got Lincoln Logs for Christmas and loves them!

Kim_Howie
01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I lived in a small town and would walk 7 blocks to grade school. There was Train tracks a block from the school. I would walk home for lunch, almost everyday there would be a train stopped on the tracks. I would crawl under the middle of a train car to get home. Can you see that happening today!!

Verne_Frantz
01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I used to come home from high school, change clothes, have a bowl of cereal, grab Pop's Springfield .22 and walk across the street up in the farmer's fields and shoot woodchucks till dinner time. The farmer loved it because they would dig holes that would break his farm equipment. I just had to put the dead ones back in the hole.

Pop taught me how to shoot a shot gun right in the back yard. He'd get about 50 or 60ft away from me and toss old 78rpm records in the air for me to shoot at. No one ever complained. These days it would take one shot and the neighbors would be dialing 911....because they'd be convinced a felony was being committed.

Heck, I used to put the shot gun over the handlebars of my bike and ride a mile down to the lake to shot ducks in the evening. People would drive past me and either pay no attention or just wave.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

427TJ
01-23-2008, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the politically incorrect way of the sixties one of the older guys down at the gas station named him Three Finger Brown after a early 1900's ball player. He is still referred to by that nickname today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked at a gas station owned by a Portugese family. Older neighborhood men would hang around all day reading the paper, smoking cigars, b-sing. They all called the owner "Portagee" and he called the Italian men "Dago." "Hey Portagee can I get my tires checked?" "Yeah Dago and then let's go get coffee." Those guys were a riot.

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-23-2008, 08:13 PM
My brother an I would walk with shot guns about 1/2 mile to the big farm fields and hunt phesant. On the way back sometimes people would stop in cars and ask "Did ya get anything" or "hows the hunting today" it was not out of place at all. I had a friend I worked with that grew up in Wisconsin who told me when he was a kid they would take their shotguns to school and put them in their lockers for the day so after school they could go hunting. I have no reason not to believe the story.

Can you imagine today.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

77Z28
01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Mr. 70 thanks for the thread, sure brought back the memories. I grew up in Cincinnatti Ohio and I recall me and all of the neighborhood kids having big wheels. We would race each other, act out demolition derby, you name it. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif My brother and I rode our big wheel so much it that we flat-spotted the front wheel in several spots. Loved that lever to brake the rear wheel and spin.

Besides the playing outside we would play with legos when it rained and find all sorts of things to build with our imagination.

Wouldn't change a thing about the past. We didn't have much money, but as kid you didn't realy realize that and found ways to have fun.

Todd http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

firstgenaddict
01-23-2008, 08:19 PM
If that went on today we might not have the School shooters... the sane kids would stop them!

69LM1
01-24-2008, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My brother an I would walk with shot guns about 1/2 mile to the big farm fields and hunt phesant. On the way back sometimes people would stop in cars and ask "Did ya get anything" or "hows the hunting today" it was not out of place at all. I had a friend I worked with that grew up in Wisconsin who told me when he was a kid they would take their shotguns to school and put them in their lockers for the day so after school they could go hunting. I have no reason not to believe the story.

Can you imagine today.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, we would do the same thing. I still have the stevens/savage (now two different companies) 410 that my gradnfather bought new. I inherited it when I was 14 (graduated from the sheridan pellet gun I got at 12). We would go and shoot marsh hens after school. We would shoot robins by the bag full and my grandmother would make stew!

69LM1
01-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Ahhh, what about bikes and bike ramps? I still remember the day I bought my mongoose, "Chrome Molly" with "mags". It's a wonder we survived all of the crappy jump ramps we made out of anything handy.......
Jumping hills and canals (streams). Building clubhouses, and "stealing" playboys from someone's dad.

jeff morocco
01-24-2008, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yeah and what about girder and panel sets. they were plastic girders that hooked together and the panels looked like windows that had holes in them to put on the girders.you could build any building that you could dream of. we also used to play war with the green army men in the dirt and blow them up with fire crackers. ahhh to be a kid again !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

]

Ngtflyr
01-24-2008, 03:42 AM
At my high school we had our deer rifles in the gun racks in plain sight in the parking lot, didn't lock the doors then either. Carried a buck knife on my belt to school too. Teachers would sometimes ask to check out your rifle and would sometimes go hunting or Salmon fishing after school with us. Our football coach was 24 years old and even went camping with us one time during deer season. We went straight from the football game to the campsite and went hunting the next morning. One time I went hunting in my Chevelle and threw the buck I shot in the trunk. If we got into a fight it was settled with your fists and nobody pulled a knife or ran and got their gun. Imagine pulling into a school parking lot now with a high powered rifle and scope and trying to walk into class with a knife....

firstgenaddict
01-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Hell if you were a guy you didn't want to get caught with-out a pocket knife... what self respecting guy wouldn't have a knife on him?

And those girder and panel sets were cool... forgot about those... how about Erector sets... motorized?
And who could forget the sterno fueled steam boilers?
That ran the steam engine? Oh the lawyers would have a field day with them now... and Jarts... Lawn Darts... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif it's a wonder I didn't get one through the skull!

I used to love to just mount a cox .049 on a piece of wood and just make her scream!!!

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-24-2008, 06:27 AM
remenber that cox car with the propeller on the back, hard sharp platic spinning at who knows how many rpm, no guard which you had to spin start with your finger!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/70COPORSZ28/gas-blackshrike1.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/70COPORSZ28/prop-black1.jpg

Xplantdad
01-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Okay...showing my age here....how about Tinkertoys?

http://i22.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/d4/ae/8d23_1.JPG

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-24-2008, 06:43 AM
I can imagine the tinker toys after the lawyers got to um. rubber tips, splinter free plastic sticks which are bendable in case you were running with them and fell......

What did Dick the Buther say in the Shakepreare play

"first we kill all the lawyers"

Sorry if anyone is a laywer but you got to agree they really have screwed things up!

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

COPO 70 RS/Z28
01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Rich,

How was the robin stew? Ive had squirrel and squab but and all kinds of stuff but never Robin

69LM1
01-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Actually, about the same as Dove.
Marsh Chickens are different, they eat fish, and are not too good. About the only thing you can mix with them is kildeer, as are a fish diet bird as well.

We grew up in a cajun neighborhood, they are EVERYTHING back then. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sYc
01-24-2008, 10:04 PM
One of the biggest changes I see is in sports, at least around here. Year round we were outside playing some sort of sport, with friends or if all else failed, alone. Now it is rare to see one youngster, much less a group, playing ball.

I can remember shooting baskets with gloves on because it was so cold. And how about playing "burnout" with a baseball, ouch.

Mr70
01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Same here.
We used to play Softball,Football and Hockey on the street.
Everytime a car came,we all yelled "CAR"..and stopped the game momentarily,only to resume play the minute the cussing driver was out of the vicinity.
We carried over onto the local fields as we grew older & more serious.
Today,there are no fewer then 6 public fields I drive by daily,and not one time Jan.-Dec. have I seen any gathering of kids playing anything on them.Just dog walkers.
Why were they constructed? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

firstgenaddict
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Yep... Everything was played in the street when I was a kid...

69LM1
01-25-2008, 07:49 PM
It is actually against the law here to play street ball!

Z-11 396
01-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Alot of us were into this....Kasey

http://oldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheFifties.htm