PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427 4 Sp Conv - Finish It

1970MotionNova
05-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I have a friend with a 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427 4 speed convertible car that is complete numbers matching, and is a Black/Black original car. The car has been taken all the way down to the frame and brought back up. The motor and transmission have been totally redone and are already reinstalled back in the car. This is a radio/heater delete car and the only thing that is not original on the car is the alternator. They got a estimate on how much it would take in parts to complete the car(door handles, etc) and it is around $5000.00. The body of the car has been gel coated and is ready for paint. He is asking $80,000 firm for the car. If you got this car and spent the money on the paint job and the $5,000 in parts you would be sitting pretty nicely in a completely restored Vette for a fraction of the cost to buy one complete. I am going to get pics of this car on Firday and I will create a Photobucket folder and link it to this post so you can see pics of the car. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks, Jeff H.

1970MotionNova
05-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Sorry, forgot to put that this is the 425HP Vette.

Thanks, Jeff H.

firstgenaddict
05-09-2008, 05:26 AM
PM sent...

1970MotionNova
05-09-2008, 09:30 PM
OK, more information on the Vette. I was supposed to go and take pics of the car today but it didn't work out. I will go in the morning to get pics and I will link the pics to this auction. Here is some things I have found about about the Vette so hold on for the ride......lol. To start with the car does have documentation. The warranty book and the Protect-O-Plate is with the car. The car is a original 411 Rear end car with Posi-traction. It of course has the 4 barrell carb on it. It has the 184 Exhaust which is very sought after. It has a roller cam in the motor, custom ground but not too radical. Motor has been bored and has picked up about 9 cubic inches. He also mentioned port batching, and I am sure you guys know what that means. It also has bigger valves installed. He said this 425HP car will out run the 435HP cars. He said it should only take about 1.5 to 2 weeks to complete this car. It also has full interior that comes with the car and the body has been gel coated and is ready to be painted. Talked to several people today and they said completed this car should bring $150,000. Buy it for $80,000 Firm, paint the car and buy the chrome parts needed for the car and you would have one of the most desireable triple black Corvette's for a fraction of the cost. If your interested give me a email. I will update this link as soon as I get the pics.

Thanks, Jeff H.

Mike
05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
auction?? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

1970MotionNova
05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I said auction by mistake. I mean to this Form.............. I appreciate the correction.

Thanks, Jeff H.

ORIGLS6
05-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Probably 'port matching'. Meaning the intake manifold ports have been matched to the heads.

1970MotionNova
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
New update on the Corvette here. I went today to take pics of the car and found a few suprises. For the first thing the trunk, hood, pocket, doors, everything but the body of the car has already been painted black. Good lord do they look good!!!! The guy who is painting the car so far said that the car is going to look amazing. He said it should look good because it is being painted in a $300,000 paint booth from Italy. He said it will only take 1 time to paint the car with the booth he is using. I have also taken pleanty of pics of the body of the car and the frame with the motor and tranny already sitting in it. This car is going to be a knock out when it is finished. The price is $80,000 firm and if you actually want to have them finish it here add another $15,000 and you will get a totally completed turn key car, your choice. All the interior pieces come with the car and the bumpers are brand new and they come with the car also. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have had tons of emails about this car and thought if I updated the form then everyone could see it. Just click below.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd217/supachargedviper/1966%20Convertible%20Corvette/

MosportGreen66
05-11-2008, 05:27 PM
where are the tags? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

1970MotionNova
05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
I will be adding pics of the tags to the auction probably tomorrow. The tags were at the guys business in his safe and he is sending me pics of them. Soon as I get the pics I will add them to the photobucket folder. Some of the pics didn't come out clear and you can not read the numbers. If you click on the picture and supersize it I have the numbers written in under the pics.

Thanks, Jeff

BigBlockBoy
05-12-2008, 03:30 AM
My mom told me if you can not say some thing nice do not say any thing at all.Good Luck

Unreal
05-12-2008, 06:24 AM
80,000+ 5000= 150,000? Why doesn't your friend spend the 5k to make 65k?

provette67
05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I agree.Plus there are some other strange things here.Just a couple off of the top.Why if the painter has a $300k paint booth is the $150K car sitting out side in what looks like a shed.Why were the tags removed in the first place? Maybe because it is sitting out in a shed I guess.Good Luck with this

1970MotionNova
05-14-2008, 06:01 AM
There is medical circumstances involved with the owner of this car and it is not a good outcome. That is why the restoration is at a stand still. The painting of the car has been taken care of already but that is as far as he can afford to go anymore. The frame of the car and the Motor and tranny were restored by Wade's Corvettes. This part was completed and waiting on the other parts of the car to be painted. That's why he has the car sitting in his building behind his house. The guy who is painting the car does not own a $300,000 paint booth he just paints in it. He works for a body shop that has this paint booth and uses it on Saturdays on his day off to paint his cars and others he is doing on his offtime. The tags were removed because the car is about to be painted. I myself do not like my tags to be painted over and I am sure no one else does either. The body of the car is off the frame beacuse it's a frame off restoration. If you look at the pics in the link you can see the body of the car. If you would like to come look at the car all you have to do is email me and make arrangements to come take a look yourself. This will clear any confusion anyone may have. I was a little confused myself about this car because I saw the seat covers of the car and they are black. The I saw other interior pieces and they are red. I asked the owner what the deal was and he was a little confused himself. We called Wade's Corvettes and found out that the car is a Black car with Black top and red interior not black. They had given the owner black leather seat cover and not the correct red ones. They are now being swapped out for the correct ones. So this is a Black car with Black top and Red interior. I have added pics of all the tags and books including the protecto plate that goes on the car. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. The link to the pics is below.

Thanks, Jeff H.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd217/supachargedviper/1966%20Convertible%20Corvette/

provette67
05-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Jeff,
your further explanation helps but let who ever paints the car know that the area where tags go is not painted and never was.No need to remove

1970MotionNova
05-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Ok thanks man, I appreciate it alot.

Jeff H.

Charley Lillard
05-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Black with red leather is about as good as it gets....Wow...

lwkitt427
05-14-2008, 07:43 AM
HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE OPION OF REMOVING THE TAGS FROM THE BIRD CAGE I HAVE OWNED 2 CORVETTES IN MY MY LIFE TIME A 1966 LAGUNA BLUE CONVT 327-350 HP AND A 1969 T TOP CAR 427/400 HP PS-PB TILT TELE WHEEEL P/W WINDOWS- A/C M21 BRIGHT BLUE WITH BRIGHT BLUE INT AND I NEVER TOOK THE TAGS OFF TO PERFOME A FRAME OFF RESTO. I WORRY ABOUT THIS. I AM NOT SAYING THE GENTLEMAN WAS WORRIED AOBUT THEM BEING TAKEN WHILE THE CAR WAS BEING WORKED ON. I VERY INTERESTED IN THE CAR BUT WHAT LIKE TO KNOW HOW SOME OTHER MEMBERS FEEL ABOUT THIS.
THANKS
LES

rubbinisracing
05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Its known as a "Tags off Restoration" http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1970MotionNova
05-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I myself personally would not send a car like this to a body shop without removing the tags from the car, but I am no restoration guy either. One person messaged me above and said there was no reason for them being removed. I guess you just leave that area unrestored and unpainted? I know they are on a metal bar so I would think remove them and sand well then paint and replace the tags. Sounds logical to me. I called three shops today and asked how they would do it. 2 of the three said they remove the tags, sand, then paint and replace them. The third said it is up to the owner and they usually ask what his preference is because some people are particular. I asked, well if they don't care then how would you handle it. They said I would remove them repaint, etc then replace them. I guess it's really a preference of how a person feels about it. Some people think they should never be removed, where as others seem to think it would look nicer if they are removed, underneath redone then replaced. Interesting topic............

Thanks, Jeff H.

mtmcorvette
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
In some states it is against the law to remove the vin tag at any time, even while being restored. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

olredalert
05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
-----The bar that these two tags are mounted to should be a green color (zinc-chromate primer) with body color near the outer end towards the door. Unless the car has had a very bad history this area generally lasts very well with no rust issues. It should almost always be left alone. You are now faced with getting the correct rivets which is not that easy. The serial tag rivets that are sold over the internet are often not correct. Same goes for the trim tag rivets. When you want a fairly large pile of money for a car the potential buyers may walk on you if they think there has been any kind of tampering done. This is especially true when you have a very desireable color combination, which this car does. Please dont take this negatively, but I dont know what shops you are talking to but my guess would be that they arent mid-year Corvette specific restoration shops.......Bill S

Seattle Sam
05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Isn't it a more common practice to mask the tag off if painting is required around it? That's what we did on my wife's '67 Camaro.

firstgenaddict
05-14-2008, 10:14 PM
The tags not being affixed to the car is the reason it is still available.
I don't think Neighbor brothers remove tags during restos... and they are probably the finest Corvette shop in the country.
It would take an awfully convincing argument to get many of the guys around here to mess with a car that has had the tags removed.

1970MotionNova
05-14-2008, 10:41 PM
LOL, I will be listing the car on Ebay probably Saturday night. I believe it is the better way to get a higher volume of attention to the car. The car is stil available because it has only been posted on here for 4 or 5 days. I have 4 people coming already Firday and Saturday to look at the car. They saw the pics also and have not changed their minds. Like I said some people care some people don't. Doesn't matter someone is getting on hell of a nice car. I am not one to argue mostly with the guys around here....lol.

Thanks, Jeff

provette67
05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-----The bar that these two tags are mounted to should be a green color (zinc-chromate primer) with body color near the outer end towards the door. Unless the car has had a very bad history this area generally lasts very well with no rust issues. It should almost always be left alone. You are now faced with getting the correct rivets which is not that easy. The serial tag rivets that are sold over the internet are often not correct. Same goes for the trim tag rivets. When you want a fairly large pile of money for a car the potential buyers may walk on you if they think there has been any kind of tampering done. This is especially true when you have a very desireable color combination, which this car does. Please dont take this negatively, but I dont know what shops you are talking to but my guess would be that they arent mid-year Corvette specific restoration shops.......Bill S

[/ QUOTE ]
brother Bill is exactly correct.This is a non painted area except for as stated some over spray on the end which is not near the tags.So your body shop guys that say that they sand and paint are full of BS.I think that Ebay is a good idea for you.I am really interested in seeing if some one will pay that much for project that from the pictures is going to need a lot more than you state here.

BigBlockBoy
05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
brother Bill is exactly correct.This is a non painted area except for as stated some over spray on the end which is not near the tags.So your body shop guys that say that they sand and paint are full of BS.I think that Ebay is a good idea for you.I am really interested in seeing if some one will pay that much for project that from the pictures is going to need a lot more than you state here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Provette67.there is NO reason to take them off of a mid year Corvette unless of course they are from another car????????????????????

1970MotionNova
05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Yeah the tags are from a MG Midget.......lol. Why do people always expect the worst on a car. How about instead of thinking people are sneaky you actually come look at the car if your interested in actually purchasing a car. Isn't there numbers on the frame of the car itself? Are these cars like a certain year Camaro where you really can't verify anything? I am not a Corvette guy I am into Mopars but I am sure there is some way to verify the car right? I do know that some year model Mopars have the number stamped in the trunk lip on the drivers side under the rubber seal, but I am not sure on 1966 Vette's and how they are verified. I do know that the car came from Wade at Wade's Corvette's in Jacksonville, Fla.

Thanks, Jeff H.

rubbinisracing
05-16-2008, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people always expect the worst on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what they don't tell you that hurts! I think most of us can remember the feeling we got last time we took a seller we didn't know at his word. For me...if you can't prove it...it's just a story. It may make for good listening but it won't get my wallet out of my pants!

BigBlockBoy
05-16-2008, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people always expect the worst on a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what they don't tell you that hurts! I think most of us can remember the feeling we got last time we took a seller we didn't know at his word. For me...if you can't prove it...it's just a story. It may make for good listening but it won't get my wallet out of my pants!

[/ QUOTE ]
just one of the many problems are with you descrption.In one you say that it needs next to nothing.Then you post pictures that show that the car needs almost a full restoration.The pictures of the motor and chassis show incorrect parts and finishes.In order to get the pie in the sky price that you claim that it would be worth you are going to start completly over.The very high end cars are completly restored to beautiful and correct condition.With original documentation.I have bought and restored projects before.You never know what is missing which turns into more money.Good luck with the sale

1970MotionNova
05-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Incorrect finishes?? BigBlockBoy, since you are a restorer of cars(or a professional observer), what is wrong with the frame of the car and the motor that is incorrect?? Is it the tires and rims? Don't worry they come with the car at no additional charge, just kidding. The restoration on the motor and frame were done by a very reputable mid-year Corvette shop. Like I have said before, I have no ideal about Corvettes and what is correct on them so please fill me in with what is wrong. I hate that he has paid money for something that is wrong. Also, this is a radio and heater delete car so wiring should be a breeze, right? Everything is painted on the car but the body, which will be painted within the next week and a half or so. The frame and motor and tranny have been completely redone already and all the body parts will already be painted. I just wonder why he has to start over?? I know it's not the paint because it is absolutely amazing. Also, he has the full interior and the new top also. The bumpers are brand new in the wrapping, he has the carberator, and motor pieces and all the car needs is the odd pieces like the door handles, carpet, logos, etc. The owner said the biggest thing to be purchased is the exhaust covers, they run about $1,000 a pair. I just really don't see that much that needs to be done. But your the expert not me so please let me know what it needs. Also, what documentation does the car need? I will say it again, if your actually interested in purchasing a car and taking your wallet out of your pocket, please come take a look because pictures are just that, pictures. I said in my original posting that the car will need parts to finish the car. I don't know what parts it needs, but there is a lot of parts that came off of the car originally that comes with it that can be refinished. I really don't believe that the owner has anything to hide, not at this point. He is at a point that he can't go any further with the car financially or physically. Even the restoration shop that did the frame and the motor said that if they had not purchased 2 tanker Vettes they would have bought this car back in a heartbeat because of the options it has. Anyway, I think the frame looks beautiful but thats just me. Any more professional opinions would be greatly appreciated. There is wealth of knowledge here that may stagger the fabric of time!! Also, if you need any information on the car please feel free to call Wade's Corvettes in Jacksonville, Fla. It is where the car was purchased originally. Plus, they did the frame and motor resto. Maybe you can call them also and help them out by telling them what they are doing wrong. I am sure they would appreciate it and love your professional comments.

Thanks, Jeff H.

TimG
05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I'd recommend taking pictures of the factory cut outs to the birdcage for the sidepipe installation if it is a factory sidepipe car. It looks like both sides still have the dog legs attached, these are removed on factory sidepipe cars. I've seen these on factory sidepipe cars if the front clip and rear quarters are replaced. No way to tell if it is a radio and heater delete or a sidepipe car from the Warranty Plate.
That's why some "before" photos are always good for verification.

thunderbeach
05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Tim: Any pics or drawings showing what to look for? Thanks

1970MotionNova
05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, we have before photos of the car. And it is a factory side pipe car also. It was a 184 side pipe car not the 177 like most are. Thanks for the info.

Jeff H.

TimG
05-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't, but they notched the birdcage to allow for the nuts that hold the sidepipe covers on.
They also removed the fiberglass "doglegs" that the front and rear of the rocker moldings use for attachment.
There were no rocker molding hangers spot welded to the birdcage and no evidence of spotwelds. To properly convert a car, the body needs to be pulled.
70MotionNova, I'm not sure what you mean by 184 and 177 car? The exhaust options in '66 were N11 and N14.

1970MotionNova
05-17-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure either, that's what he told me from the restoration shop. I am not a Vette person at all so I wrote down what he said. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Jeff

1969l78
05-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Something weird with this one http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hmmm.gif

1970MotionNova
05-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Nah, it's just denial.............lol. They make cars and airplanes that can bring you down to look at the car. Use those bonus miles up. You'll be sorry later if you don't, I guarantee. This seems really familiar to me. Reminds me of a situation where another car was posted on here before, and everybody was like this is weird or something's wrong. But, give me a week or two and you guys won't have to worry about coming down looking or buying the car, because I will. I have decided to wait on listing it on Ebay until my other car runs first. You guys have a nice weekend.

Thanks, Jeff H.