PDA

View Full Version : Weekend at York

sYc
07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Another great weekend.

Began with the indoor show at York, where the SCW/sYc was well represented. Thanks to BKH for putting the showcase together.

One of the highlights was seeing Helen Gibb accept the Legion of Honor award for her late husband Fred Gibb. It was obvious that it meant a lot to her to see Fred recognized with such an honor. Also receiving the award was our own Ed Hedrick. Congrats to both.

On Sunday we decided to go to Beaver Springs for the Nostalgia race, not only to make a pass or two in Red Alert, but also to see all of the neat stuff they had lined up. WOW!! Even though the rain ended things early, still a great time. It does not get any better then watching real; vintage racecars go down the track. Well, maybe a little, running ole Red was pretty neat.

And the best part? On Friday I was visiting with Jim Amos, who has been video recording drag racing history for many years, asked what car I was showing. When I told him Red alert, he replied “Bob Hamilton’s Chevelle?”. Of course I said yes, and that is when he told me he had all of the Hamilton’s 8mm family film(s), including footage of Red Alert racing, as well as footage taken on the day (Valentine) Bob gave the car to Dorothy. Also he has an in-depth interview with Bob from the mid ‘90s, chronicling his racing career. Needless to say I ordered a copy of everything. And thanks to Andrew H., who made a few calls to search of contact info for a family member(s), may have found Bob’s wife Dorothy.

Xplantdad
07-16-2008, 12:22 AM
That sounds great Tom! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

olredalert
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
-----Wow, Tom!!! Needless to say I would love to get a copy of that stuff as well. How do I go about it??? Glad you had a good time. Were your passes full quarter???.......Bill S

sYc
07-16-2008, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-----Wow, Tom!!! Needless to say I would love to get a copy of that stuff as well. How do I go about it??? Glad you had a good time. Were your passes full quarter???.......Bill S

[/ QUOTE ]

Once I get everything from Jim, I hope to take what he has, add my still pictures, and have a video made. I will be more then glad to get extra copies for you, and who ever would like one.

Yes, it was the 1/4 mile. The first pass was a so-so pass, 11.50, missed my 1-2 shift point (again). Second pass was a little better, 11.30, (7.25 in the 1/8). Nothing close to what you were doing, but I do think once I get comfortable running the car, and a few little things sorted out, my goal of consistant high 6s in the eigth and high 10s in the quarter are possible. The main thing, I am having a blast, and as far as I know I have not hurt anything. Folks at the track seem to really enjoy seeing RA do her thing, and it is amazing how many people built the AMT model. My wife even commented on that.

Charley Lillard
07-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Once again it is time to remind that that engine needs to be freshened up before stuff starts flying... In case you haven't done it yet....

olredalert
07-16-2008, 06:35 PM
------Charley,,,Andy had a freshening done prior to the change of hands, I believe. I think the dyno sheets came up a bit short of mine but Tom has plenty of time to figure out how far he wants to take things. All it takes is $!!!.........Bill S