The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   FAKE W-31@Mecum (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175642)

PeteLeathersac 05-19-2023 02:11 PM

Subject VIN 336870M354113
:beers:
~ Pete

Keith Seymore 05-19-2023 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mprice (Post 1622814)
I guess this shows us what an AACA certification is worth. I have always felt that AACA certifications are more about how many times you present the car at their show than it is about the correctness of a car.

Good to know.

K

Stefano 05-19-2023 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom M (Post 1622797)
no ac and no power brakes with w-31 package
to change over to a/c would require a whole new firewall & vent system
would litearlly need to remove body from frame to make it work

this looks like a blue 4sp cutlass that sold on ebay back in 2012

Tom, I am going to respectfully disagree on what it takes to change the firewall from non a/c to a/c on a GM "A" body in this case. The only panels needing removed are the inner wheel house on the passengers side and of course being able to cut and weld the firewall.

There is no "proof" at this point that this is not a real W-31 but someone would have needed to go to great lenghts to add factory correct A/C throughout. Think of adding A/C to a 1969 Z28. Sure it can be done, buy why go through the effort and the reason the factory didn't do it to begin with is that the "big" cam caused lack of vacuum.

However, I did not see any proof presented that this is indeed an authentic W-31?

The brake master clyinder and booster apprear to be reproductions based on the pics presented, but as mentioned power/vacuum opperated disk brakes would not be factory correct.

The radiator top plate is correct for a 3.91 geared car which would not be correct even in a standard Cutlass 4 speed with A/C although that is a bolt on item as well.

Oldsmobile POP's are generally a plastic card and do not verify options or W-31 status.

tom M 05-19-2023 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefano (Post 1622850)
Tom, I am going to respectfully disagree on what it takes to change the firewall from non a/c to a/c on a GM "A" body in this case. The only panels needing removed are the inner wheel house on the passengers side and of course being able to cut and weld the firewall.

There is no "proof" at this point that this is not a real W-31 but someone would have needed to go to great lenghts to add factory correct A/C throughout. Think of adding A/C to a 1969 Z28. Sure it can be done, buy why go through the effort and the reason the factory didn't do it to begin with is that the "big" cam caused lack of vacuum.

However, I did not see any proof presented that this is indeed an authentic W-31?

The brake master clyinder and booster apprear to be reproductions based on the pics presented, but as mentioned power/vacuum opperated disk brakes would not be factory correct.

The radiator top plate is correct for a 3.91 geared car which would not be correct even in a standard Cutlass 4 speed with A/C although that is a bolt on item as well.

Oldsmobile POP's are generally a plastic card and do not verify options or W-31 status.

if you wanted a/c in a car like this you just get a vintage a/c kit.
you dont cut up a firewall to put a 60 year old a/c unit in a car.that's goofy.
and it would be extremely difficult to weld that firewall with the frender on.

no proof its not a real w-31? i don't see a broadcast card.
would you sell this car as a real w-31?

Bill Pritchard 05-19-2023 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mprice (Post 1622814)
I guess this shows us what an AACA certification is worth. I have always felt that AACA certifications are more about how many times you present the car at their show than it is about the correctness of a car.

For muscle cars in general, an award at MCACN would carry far more weight than an AACA award. AACA awards have never been any indicator that a given car came from the factory exactly as presented at their shows.

Steve Shauger 05-19-2023 10:52 PM

Tom (tom M), Stefano did state the owner showed no proof it was an authentic W31.

no proof its not a real w-31? i don't see a broadcast card.

Stefano stated the following:

"However, I did not see any proof presented that this is indeed an authentic W-31?"

cook_dw 05-19-2023 11:26 PM

Flip side and not siding that this car is real as I don’t care but there is a local Z and it had a factory A/C box installed by the dealer and still has it today. Wanna say it’s an x77 car too. I’ll look and see if I still have photos. Point is, it can be done if someone really wanted to.

cook_dw 05-20-2023 02:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Real tag & car. Vin has also never been off.

1972convss454 05-20-2023 04:37 PM

An A/C body and a Non A/C body are two different bodies. Not just the firewall.

The car in question is a beautiful car. The new owner may not even care if it is a real W-31.

luzl78 05-20-2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972convss454 (Post 1622898)
An A/C body and a Non A/C body are two different bodies. Not just the firewall.

The car in question is a beautiful car. The new owner may not even care if it is a real W-31.

he will when he tries to sell it and everyone tells him it’s not real