The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Day 2 stuff-modified cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Please educate me on these style hoods (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169912)

Pro Stock John 12-09-2021 02:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For the LS powered car, currently has a Glasstek Sunoco hood.

NorCam 12-09-2021 02:20 AM

Are you going to be able to fit over the front of the intake with a new (flat?) hood and that pro stock scoop? Looks like you need some height at the front there.

Pro Stock John 12-09-2021 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I'd have a shot at it fitting. I could also worst case (for Dan) and ask to drive my car down and do a side by side comparison with his old Moroso hood.

I also like the L88 hoods, but as I looked at those hoods the front of the hood will hit my intake.

Regarding the Moroso hood, does it look like the scoop is molded to a cowl hood or a ss hood base? If you look at the pic the base is not a base hood.

NorCam 12-11-2021 03:31 PM

Looks like you have your work cut out for you there. The Camaro looks like an old 10.5 drag car that's been through a few conversions over the years? Was this a back halved drag car that was later converted to an LS based 10.5 drag car at some point? What's the back story on the car? Looks like it has stretched wheel openings on the back from former days with tall slicks?

Are you planning to restore it now and convert to a day 2 project?

Pro Stock John 12-11-2021 05:54 PM

When I bought it, it had a 502 BBC crate engine and 8-71 blower with drum brakes. Wheel openings are stretched, had 31 x 18.5 x 15 MT sportsman pros on 15x14s in back.

The first iteration of the car had good 1980's chassis work, good tubs, my buddy all calls it a classis Alston build. The second iteration, someone painted tons of parts purple, through that crate motor in there with the blower.

I'd like to do a day 2, wheels and hood would help me get there.

69z2x4 12-12-2021 03:39 AM

Back in the early 70's my car had a hood vary much like the one in the OP's first picture. It was molded onto a flat bolt on factory hood. Looked great. I covered the under side with polished stainless steel..when you rased the hood it would blind you..lol

Pro Stock John 12-12-2021 05:36 PM

Nice, any pics?

MailOrderMotion 12-15-2021 02:56 PM

Moroso hood

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some detail pictures of my Moroso hood. Hopefully they help someone out.
Dave

Pro Stock John 12-15-2021 03:48 PM

Thanks for pics, very helpful.

Pro Stock John 01-07-2022 05:33 PM

Dave those pics are great.

I had a good talk with the guy at Glasstek who does the custom work. He'd like to see some pics from the side.

So far I've found that Speedway sells these style scoops but if anyone has another source they like better please let me know.

I also would like to know how tall the scoops are on the original Moroso hoods, 4. 5, or 6".

I'll order a scoop and send it to Glasstek pending some side pics. Our only concern is the curve/transition in the front.