The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   O'Reilly Chevrolet Tucson Arizona (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178415)

bilede 03-24-2024 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard (Post 1646660)
$122.95 for an AM radio & antenna in 1957 was a very pricey option!

According to my dad it was a wonderbar pushbutton with dual power rear antennas at that cost. still a lot I would think back then..

Bill Pritchard 03-24-2024 06:37 PM

If your dad is still alive & kickin' and can remember that detail, it's priceless :smile:

Speaking of dual rear antennas, I recall those being a cool fad back in the 50's, but I have always wondered if they were both functional, or if one was just for appearance sake.

It's a shame that more cars didn't turn out for the show....car dealerships that have been around for 100 years under the same name and in the same town are few and far between.

bilede 03-24-2024 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard (Post 1646742)
If your dad is still alive & kickin' and can remember that detail, it's priceless :smile:

Speaking of dual rear antennas, I recall those being a cool fad back in the 50's, but I have always wondered if they were both functional, or if one was just for appearance sake.

It's a shame that more cars didn't turn out for the show....car dealerships that have been around for 100 years under the same name and in the same town are few and far between.

Bill, My dad is still kicken and remembers. He will be 91 in June. One antenna was functional and the other a dummy. I purchased him a 57 convertible almost 20 years ago which is being restored and he had us put the duals on it just like his original one.

Too Many Projects 03-25-2024 12:13 AM

As far as I know, only 1 antenna was ever functional with duals. They were a fad into the mid 60's on Impala's too. I see them on '64's quite often but I don't know if they could be had from the factory, or the left one was only over the counter.

L72copocamaro 03-25-2024 04:08 AM

Interesting! I never knew either, but assumed their was probably a wye type cable setup for both to be functional.

Too Many Projects 03-25-2024 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilede (Post 1646754)
Bill, My dad is still kicken and remembers. He will be 91 in June. One antenna was functional and the other a dummy. I purchased him a 57 convertible almost 20 years ago which is being restored and he had us put the duals on it just like his original one.

Those antennae appear to be much further back than any I remember, but have no clear recollection of a '57.

olredalert 03-25-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1646755)
As far as I know, only 1 antenna was ever functional with duals. They were a fad into the mid 60's on Impala's too. I see them on '64's quite often but I don't know if they could be had from the factory, or the left one was only over the counter.

----My 64 Grand Prix 421 HO/4-speed had two power antenna's on the car, on the build sheet, and on Jim Mattisons paperwork! It was featured on Members rides quite a while back! ....Bill S

Too Many Projects 03-25-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1646779)
----My 64 Grand Prix 421 HO/4-speed had two power antenna's on the car, on the build sheet, and on Jim Mattisons paperwork! It was featured on Members rides quite a while back! ....Bill S

Cool, but did they both supply reception to the radio...:dunno:
I have seen twin power but assumed the owner did that. Didn't know it was available from the factory.

bilede 03-25-2024 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1646777)
Those antennae appear to be much further back than any I remember, but have no clear recollection of a '57.

Here is that 57 chevy in 1957 showing the placement of the antennas as factory cut them in.. they are further back than I would think you would put them but that is correct for front to back position. The side to side location is a mystery as this original car they were inside the rear quarter panels (between the quarter and inside trunk panel) but have seen cars with it inside trunk which requires going through 2 panels and hangs inside trunk space and in the way of cargo..

olredalert 03-25-2024 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1646781)
Cool, but did they both supply reception to the radio...:dunno:
I have seen twin power but assumed the owner did that. Didn't know it was available from the factory.

----Nope, The drivers side had power to the motor but no antenna lead ever! Even had two dash switches for up and down....Bill S