The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Jake Dykstra's 1962 409/409 Impala! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107220)

cook_dw 01-14-2020 01:02 PM

I don’t think those number are bad at all. Hell look at the torque curve. Pretty solid if you ask me for a stock build.

olredalert 01-14-2020 02:40 PM

----One point lower compression would drop the horsies about 30 to 40 with all else being the same. Puts your 409 right in the correct area. Should be a great all around driver, better as the engine gets more broken in!...….Bill S

NorCam 01-14-2020 03:18 PM

Those aren't bad numbers at all for a pump gas friendly 409. I think someone's going to have a lot of fun rowing gears in the near future. Enjoy that, and thanks for sharing so much of this.

Fun to follow.

napa68 01-14-2020 04:49 PM

I agree with the others Jake. That torque curve is really nice! That is going to make a great street engine to pull that car with a 3.36 gear. I think the power numbers are spot on for an all stock combo with pump gas type compression.

Keep a skinny tire on it......................otherwise your Dad will get good at changing axles;)

bigjake 01-14-2020 10:45 PM

Back in the day, when we raced it, that was a common occurrence! We even made a tool out of a coat hanger to retrieve the stub from the rear end. It was always the right axle. Whenever any of the club members went to the junk yard, the first thing they looked for and bought was a right side axle. I think it was the same axle from '59-'64. We always had 6-7 axles hanging around. Since I have had the car, no problems with any axles!

markjohnson 01-15-2020 06:44 AM

Re-create that coat hanger axle stub retriever tool for a car show display in the trunk! These early 8.2 rear axles have caused me (& decades of others) much grief. These cars should have been built with the Big Olds/Pontiac rear axles!

A12pilot 01-15-2020 10:47 AM

This is freakin’ AWWWESOME!!!!!!! Best thread out there!!!!!!!

Cheers:beers:
Dave

RPOLS3 01-26-2020 07:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more progress yesterday in anticipation of the transplant. Got the engine on a regular stand and freshened up the Chevrolet orange. The existing engine is also ready to come out with everything removed and literally just shored up sitting loose in the chassis waiting to be lifted out.

Next Saturday the 1st we will move the car off the lift to remove the existing engine (not enough clearance for the engine hoist while on the lift). Dad will then take 2 weeks to clean up and get ready for the new engine which we plan on installing on the 15th. Then back on the lift and he can finish up installing the trans and accessories.

RPOLS3 02-01-2020 07:49 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Made short work of the old engine extraction this morning. Dave and I arrived around 8 AM - Mom made breakfast for us all and by 10:30 the old engine was out. We spent more time moving the cars around in the garage then we did pulling the engine...…...but it was all ready to go when we got there.

Some clean up work over the next couple of weeks and hopefully the new lump goes back in on the 15th as easy as this one came out.

Postsedan 02-01-2020 08:06 PM

Love it!

All you need is some of your Mom`s Awesome Home Made Chocolate Chip Cookies :)

Thanks for sharing.

Dan