The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   1969 ZL1 going to Barrett-Jackson 2012 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115892)

GeorgeLyons 11-29-2011 06:13 PM

1969 ZL1 going to Barrett-Jackson 2012

Greetings All ! I have made the decision to consign my ZL1 to the January auction and would like the members to know my intentions and what I know of this car. It is #9 of the 69 produced, Fred Gibb car, Silver/Black Automatic. Outstanding very high quality restoration completed in the mid 90's, looks to have many excellent NOS pieces and a goal of assembly line correctness except for way over GM quality paint. I have spent much time researching this car to be able to represent it honestly. I will specify a few points of importance but I welcome any inquires prior to the sale and I will gladly share all I have.
1. A real car with clear owner history from new, I have tracked it myself.
2. The real body, NOS quarters & wheelhouses replaced from Drag mods.
3. A real ZL1 motor, NOT the original to the car.
4. Mechanically sorted by me, runs & drives as it should.
5. Previously done Cunneen Report, very concise, very positive opinion.
6. Car did sell in 2006 at auction for over $450,000. Not relevant today.
7. Car needs NOTHING, killer just refreshed condition, appears as new restoration.
And let me clear up one thing before question arises: Yes, this is the car that was in a fire in the Midwest years ago. Building burned, car had damage but mostly cosmetic, paint etc. Car did NOT get "clipped" or rebodied, it got re-restored and photos of building and car are available. Believe me, I did my research prior to writing my check I assure you.
So there you have it. Price ???? Who knows, we shall see. My gut is when the quality of this car is viewed it will do all a ZL1 is worth. This is a GOOD car.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have interest or questions.
Thank You,
George Lyons
Erie, PA
814-450-0926

***Please note George Lyons has provided updated information below, with respect to his ZL1 12/7/11:

CORRECTION/ADDITION to my original post on ZL1 #9

#1 My original research prior to my purchase was NOT correct on what was done to this car in restoration to correct both Drag Race modifications and rust damage. Another body shell, a rust and damage free Norwood shell was used in the restoration. Where this shell was mated to the numbered/dated cowl firewall is still something I am chasing and may have photographs soon to document this. Either way, the body is NOT what I originally was told or what I posted previously. My post was sincere and what I knew at the time. As stated previously, the car will be represented honestly when I become the "seller".

#2 My history I disclosed was correct in reference to the original owner but I had not been successful in contacting him. Thru this site I have now found him, 79 yrs young. Just this week received a package with his buyers copy of Bill of Sale from Fred Gibb Chevrolet, copy of Chevrolet MSO assigned to him, first Ohio title copy in his name and an absolutely awesome 8x10 photo of the car in its first drag mod condition from the summer of 1969. It was raced as Zoo-Loo-One if anybody from the Ohio valley area remembers it.

#3 Well known and respected ZL1 authority Bill Porterfield had in his possession the original Deal Folder from Gibb Chevrolet for this car. Thru this site we connected and just today I received an unbelievable package containing the following: Original Car Shipper Dealer copy, Chevrolet Pre-Delivery Inspection form with Protect-O-Plate imprint, Auto tranport shipping invoice, Gibb Chevrolet inventory sheet showing purchaser and a 1991 letter from Fred Gibb referencing these documents. Pretty cool stuff, Thank You, Bill P.

So there you have it. My intentions were always good and I welcome any private inquiry on this car if you so wish.
Thank You,
George Lyons

I am adding my post from later in the thread because what Floyd Garret said is important and should be read by anyone reading this thread.
-Charley
"This is a car that was restored by Floyd Garrett and he will be the first to tell you he had to replace the body because the orig. was too far gone. He makes no bones about it. He says he would rather use GM pieces than some parts made in China. We all have different views on what constitutes a car and we all have opinions on what is OK to do. Some people think a car in really rough shape should be buried and done. Others like Floyd would rather do what he did and I can't say I disagree with him. Is it a orig body ZL1 ? No but at one point it was and stuff was transferred to another body. In fairness to other ZL1 owners I feel this car is a rung lower on the ZL1 ladder but still better than any ZL1 clone. Alot of ZL1's have issues as they were driven hard like they were meant to do.
I know George hated having this info come up and I hate having to deal with it but for the sake of this site it needed to be disclosed. My goal is to have this site be one that can be trusted for precisely this kind of info. Hopefully people will come here in advance before purchase of rare musclecars like this so they can avoid unpleasant surprises."

Jeff Murphy 11-29-2011 06:21 PM

Re: 1969 ZL1 going to Barrett-Jackson 2012

George,You need to get in touch with Charley. A friend of the original owner's came up to me at MCACN and offered to provide the current owner of #9 with some original paperwork he had retained. The offer was made out of a desire to put the papers back with the car. Charley has the individual's details, which I passed on to him, so he could pass it on to Steve Davis at BJ since neither of us could remember who had #9 at present.

GeorgeLyons 11-29-2011 06:49 PM

Thank You, If this is accurate I need to pursue. Pretty Cool, George

mockingbird812 11-29-2011 06:52 PM

Holy Moly great discovery Jeff! George, good luck and let us know how this turns out.

mockingbird812 11-29-2011 07:12 PM

George

Will you be offering your car w/ or w/o a reserve? This year, as I understand it, BJ is offering reserve auction spots to the higher end cars. If I remember for the Scottsdale show $500K is the minimum threshold for a reserve auction. Good luck on your sale. This will be a highlight of this January's shows with a lot of folks watching with INTEREST!

GeorgeLyons 11-29-2011 07:20 PM

While I know it is controversial, I am going to sell at NO RESERVE, a clear message to buyers "This car is For Sale today, not being appraised". My personal B-J experience over many years as a seller there, has been very good. My cars with one rare exception seem to sell for what I expect and Yes, I have had a few go a bit "crazy" and exceed my expectations.

69Tom 11-29-2011 08:34 PM

Good luck with the sale George. I hope they give you a good/prime time slot the car deserves.

Hope to see you and the car there.

GeorgeLyons 11-29-2011 08:45 PM

Yes, going off Saturday evening prime-time. They are doing some group of 50 special cars supposedly not interrupted by commercials. I'm in there I'm told.
Should be exciting, always is Saturday night.

camaromb 11-29-2011 10:12 PM

George,
Good luck with the sale. This was one of the most original ZL1 Camaros to surface years ago. Ed C. told me he should have bought the car; original paint, original spirals, etc. The January sale should be exciting!
Mark

Xplantdad 11-29-2011 10:17 PM

Good luck George. Knowing the quality of the stuff that you've had in the past...this car has got to be killer! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]

GeorgeLyons 11-29-2011 10:34 PM

Mark, Appreciate your very positive comments but you may have this car confused with another. Mine was seriously modified for drag racing from new and painted more than once. Interestingly though, Ed C's report does attest to the high quality of the restoration and in particular the parts used. He really spoke highly of the car in his report, I have the original. Interesting note-Interior must have been swapped out of some low mile killer car, NOT repo seats, door panels, etc that are near NOS. You just can't beat those original interior pieces.

camaromb 11-30-2011 02:39 AM

George,
Thats what I get for not following the ZL1 cars that closely. I thought the # 9 was the original paint silver ZL1 that Ed spoke of years ago , I'll have to ask Ed what number the original paint car was. Good luck on the sale.
Mark

William 11-30-2011 03:00 AM

Probably the #6 car N608536. OE block also.

hubleyman 11-30-2011 05:51 AM

I'm guessing this is the silver ZL1 pictured in the super secret &quot;Exclusive Preview&quot; auction catalog from B-J.

The last car I sold at no reserve almost gave me a heart attack during the process...... but a car this nice won't be given away so I wouldn't worry.

This is one of the best supercars ever made in a superb color!

talwell 11-30-2011 08:24 AM

Would you mind posting some pics of the car here? Although at the current time I am not in the market for a ZL1 (but in a few years I believe I will be) I would love to see it and make some mental notes of the car for my memory. I always seems to remember cars that I have seen over those that I have only heard spoken of.

Best of luck - a true quality car and this will be a great test to see where the market is going. I for one think you will be pleasantly surprised as this is a very solid investment worthy car that will without doubt appreciate over time and give someone a safe haven for some of thier golden year savings.

MarkM70 12-02-2011 01:07 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeorgeLyons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, going off Saturday evening prime-time. They are doing some group of 50 special cars supposedly not interrupted by commercials. I'm in there I'm told.
Should be exciting, always is Saturday night. </div></div>

50 cars in a row without commercials???? Sounds to good to be true. Seems they're lucky to go 3 without commercials. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]

olredalert 12-02-2011 06:10 AM

----George,,,B/J is apparently doing their advertising job as your car is prominently pictured in my just delivered issue of Hemmings Musclecar mag. Cant hurt!......Bill S

Jack_Tar 12-02-2011 03:16 PM

Very good looking car!
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...d=443&amp;pop=0

camaromb 12-02-2011 06:20 PM

William,
Yes you are correct, the # 6 ZL1 is the really original car I was thinking of. The # 9 ZL1 was advertised in the '06 Barrett Jackson sale as a rebody restored to # 1 condition. Sorry to confuse the two cars.
Mark

AutoInsane 12-02-2011 06:28 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeorgeLyons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark, Appreciate your very positive comments but you may have this car confused with another. Mine was seriously modified for drag racing from new and painted more than once. </div></div>

Question - If it was a drag car from new why was it restored as a stock ZL1? Curious.. ty

Stefano 12-02-2011 06:36 PM

All ZL1s are very significant cars, IMO and many have lived very hard lives.

The information which has existed prior about this particular ZL1 is different than the info presented today.

This was a very nicely restored car when I first saw it in 2006. I was told that the collector who bought it at that time took it to his home in Texas and kept it in a climate controlled environment, until he recently sold it this year.

I think there needs to be some clarification about this particular ZL1 and what has changed about it's prior history?

How does a car go from being disclosed as a rebody directly from the guy who found and restored it years ago to an original body car with 1/4 panels changed out today?

The info below is from this site as reported by I believe 'Sports Car Market Place'.

&quot;7. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 coupe

Sold at $486,000

Auction Co: Barrett-Jackson
Date: January 14, 2006

Lot # 1322. S/N 124379N608879. Cortez Silver/black vinyl. 427-ci V8, 4-bbl, auto. 69 total produced, this is #9 of the 50 built for Fred Gibb to homologate for racing. Fitted with aluminum heads and ZL1 aluminum block—Chevy's first. A $4,160 option, COPO 9560. Originally it was a drag car, but was rebodied and restored to a high level. Well-known in Camaro circles, and blessed by Ed Cuneen, the Camaro COPO guru. Cond: 1.&quot;

mockingbird812 12-02-2011 06:57 PM

Good info. This is what this site is about, keeping the true info out in the sunlight for all to see. Thanks Stefano.

Charley Lillard 12-02-2011 08:26 PM

I made George aware of the prior history a couple days ago and let him know the issue needs to be addressed. He has been in Vegas and I think flying home today. The papers he was given he says do not mention rebody anywhere and when I told him he contacted Barrett-Jackson and they don't have rebody listed in their files. I told George I remember it not being mentioned in the 2006 Catalog but I did see it on a story board in front of the car. So Barrett has not changed their description. Apparently whoever sold George the car did not include that story board. He is upset and is going to find out more when he gets home. From looking around it appears the seller in 2006 was Jubilee Classic Car collection in Tulsa. I would imagine if he can get ahold of them they can produce evidence that they had the board there saying it was a rebody.

Stefano 12-02-2011 08:37 PM

Does anyone have a way to go back 6 months or a year and see what the website had posted at that time?

ZL1 in 2006

rich p 12-02-2011 09:02 PM

I told the guy in Texas what he bought after telling me numerous times that he bought the best ZL1. He said his guys did their do diligence on looking the car over! Asked them if they read the board in front of the car that said &quot;Rebody&quot; SILENCE! Priceless.
The last seller talked to me a couple of months ago about ZL1's!!!
Win some,lose some! Should be able to sell for what he paid + or -...Wasnt buying to keep!

Denis 12-02-2011 10:11 PM

Maybe someone here took a photo of the placard back in 2006?

Xplantdad 12-02-2011 10:34 PM

I did...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n_DSCF2908.jpg

I know that I have a closer up pic...but can't find it now. This is the same year where George sold his yellow COPO Chevelle...

Denis 12-02-2011 10:56 PM

I found your other pic of the car's placard:

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthrea...true#Post165074

I read elsewhere else that the &quot;info sheet&quot; -- perhaps the one on the windshield -- mentioned a rebody...

Mr70 12-02-2011 11:10 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More detail about the ZL1...interesting reading on the documentation...current owner says on the paperwork that it may be a rebody...NO COMMENTS are NECESSARY</div></div>

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n_DSCF2908.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n_DSCF2948.jpg

..............................................Jubi lee classic carwebsite is no longer up. http://jubileeclassiccarcollection.com/

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n_DSCF2947.jpg

GeorgeLyons 12-03-2011 02:46 AM

George Lyons here, just returned from business travel and would like to update my ownership and sale of the #9 ZL1.
First-Between the site and Charlie I have discovered some awesome paperwork that I would of thought did no longer exist for this car, more on that later.
Second-More Importantly I certainly knew of this cars highly modified condition from its racing history. I trusted both my sources and inspecting the car to make a call on just what was done in the restoration: rebody, rear clip, panel replacement, whatever. Much new info has surfaced from my posting, some posted and some direct to me. Just an hour ago I received a phone call that may really clear up all questions but again, more on that once I do what I need to do.

Only a few points need immediate clarification:
This car will be represented honestly when my name becomes the &quot;seller&quot;.
The car and its documentation are available for any pre sale inspection.

For now, I'm signing off til &quot;all the news thats fit to print&quot; is available.
Thank You, George

olredalert 12-03-2011 03:19 PM

----I simply cant remember how many years I have known George. He is known thruout the Corvette hobby as one of the real goodguys. One thing I know,,,Georges integrity is above question, and we will hear more about all this when the time is right.......Bill S

rubbinisracing 12-07-2011 01:19 AM

any news? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/confused.gif[/img]

talwell 12-07-2011 05:43 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have a way to go back 6 months or a year and see what the website had posted at that time?

ZL1 in 2006 </div></div>
Archive.org can sometimes be used to go back and see what was on a site previously. Database driven sites that use .aspx most likely would not be archived as that data is dynamically generated at the time of page visit.

talwell 12-07-2011 06:00 AM

This site is great - to imagine that so many people have such a depth of knowledge and maintain thier efforts to preserve the history and future of these super cars is beyond belief.

Now it is quite unfortunate that the current owner was not properly advised as to the true known history of this car. When you are talking large money transactions with a simple ommision greatly changing a vehicles value you can expect those that are less than honest to exploit the good nature of trusting people.

This question will once again roar it's ugly head - is this still a ZL1 or just another car with a VIN tag and drivetrain from a car that was factory built as ZL1 #9? My opinion has a great amount of flexibilty when it comes to rebodied cars. If the original body is used and even 95% of the panels are replaced but some facet of the original car are used and built around I still honor the fact that the car is what it previously was. When a completely new or different body is used and parts from the original car are assembled in an attempt to replicate the original car I no longer consider this what the original car was.

I know there are circumstances when a rebody is necessary. Unfortunately to me and many others the car is no longer what it used to be no matter how rare or desired that car may be. To me, this car would be a replica, tribute or clone. I find it very deceiving about all the endorsements being applied to this car from Ed Cuneen but I guess anyone in the know would take that for what it's now worth.

I do not have any negative opinions of the current owner and greatly respect the fact that he is doing the correct thing and sorting out this car's history.

GeorgeLyons 12-07-2011 09:04 PM

CORRECTION/ADDITION to my original post on ZL1 #9

#1 My original research prior to my purchase was NOT correct on what was done to this car in restoration to correct both Drag Race modifications and rust damage. Another body shell, a rust and damage free Norwood shell was used in the restoration. Where this shell was mated to the numbered/dated cowl firewall is still something I am chasing and may have photographs soon to document this. Either way, the body is NOT what I originally was told or what I posted previously. My post was sincere and what I knew at the time. As stated previously, the car will be represented honestly when I become the &quot;seller&quot;.

#2 My history I disclosed was correct in reference to the original owner but I had not been successful in contacting him. Thru this site I have now found him, 79 yrs young. Just this week received a package with his buyers copy of Bill of Sale from Fred Gibb Chevrolet, copy of Chevrolet MSO assigned to him, first Ohio title copy in his name and an absolutely awesome 8x10 photo of the car in its first drag mod condition from the summer of 1969. It was raced as Zoo-Loo-One if anybody from the Ohio valley area remembers it.

#3 Well known and respected ZL1 authority Bill Porterfield had in his possession the original Deal Folder from Gibb Chevrolet for this car. Thru this site we connected and just today I received an unbelievable package containing the following: Original Car Shipper Dealer copy, Chevrolet Pre-Delivery Inspection form with Protect-O-Plate imprint, Auto tranport shipping invoice, Gibb Chevrolet inventory sheet showing purchaser and a 1991 letter from Fred Gibb referencing these documents. Pretty cool stuff, Thank You, Bill P.

So there you have it. My intentions were always good and I welcome any private inquiry on this car if you so wish.
Thank You,
George Lyons

mockingbird812 12-07-2011 09:51 PM

Holy cow George. You really hit the jack pot. Congrats and thanks for the clarification. Do you play the lottery? Pls post photo of the drag racing picture or forward to me and I will post it for you. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

griffithjs.ap@mac.com

GeorgeLyons 12-07-2011 10:03 PM

Sam, Tomorrow I will bring in the picture and send it to you to post. It is really a cool shot. Maybe even jog some memories. Thank You. George

Xplantdad 12-07-2011 10:57 PM

George, I will see you in Scottsdale!

Tenney 12-08-2011 01:32 AM

Cool history and awesome docs!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Charley Lillard 12-08-2011 02:23 AM

George will now have about as much paperwork as you can get for a ZL1 and most of that was due to the ZL1 display at MCACN and when Bill Porterfield contacted me about what he had for it.

This is a car that was restored by Floyd Garrett and he will be the first to tell you he had to replace the body because the orig. was too far gone. He makes no bones about it. He says he would rather use GM pieces than some parts made in China. We all have different views on what constitutes a car and we all have opinions on what is OK to do. Some people think a car in really rough shape should be buried and done. Others like Floyd would rather do what he did and I can't say I disagree with him. Is it a orig body ZL1 ? No but at one point it was and stuff was transferred to another body. In fairness to other ZL1 owners I feel this car is a rung lower on the ZL1 ladder but still better than any ZL1 clone. Alot of ZL1's have issues as they were driven hard like they were meant to do.
I know George hated having this info come up and I hate having to deal with it but for the sake of this site it needed to be disclosed. My goal is to have this site be one that can be trusted for precisely this kind of info. Hopefully people will come here in advance before purchase of rare musclecars like this so they can avoid unpleasant surprises.