The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   In Memoriam (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Warren Malkin Jr. (workinprogress) (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169282)

Steve Shauger 10-11-2021 12:13 PM

Warren Malkin Jr. (workinprogress)

Unfortunately we lost a true 1st gen Camaro enthusiast, historian and collector. He devoted much of his life to solving the many mysteries surrounding Camaro production, assembly, and components. His contribution and impact on the hobby can't be underestimated.

He was always willing to help others and when you needed a part# or wanted to know when that part revision was introduced he was the go-to guy. I met Warren 40+ years through the many Hemmings ads he placed, well before the internet. He was the man behind the scenes, shying away from publicity, and very private. As genuine a person you could ever meet.

RIP my friend you will be missed, but never forgotten.

X66 714 10-11-2021 12:22 PM

OMG, How sad. What a great guy, full of knowledge. Had some great conversations with Warren. If you've ever talked to or met Warren, you know he will be missed. Sorry Warren....Joe

Ls6 Ragtop 10-11-2021 12:34 PM

Beautifully said Steve, as many here probably know, Warren was one of my closest friends. He was a true car guy through and through. We had many adventures throughout the years, road trips,
and most recently got him to attend the last 2 MCACN shows with me. I will truly miss him...

scuncio 10-11-2021 12:45 PM

This is such sad news. I had a few great conversations with Warren about rare Camaro parts and always learned something from him.

SS427 10-11-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ls6 Ragtop (Post 1566810)
Beautifully said Steve, as many here probably know, Warren was one of my closest friends. He was a true car guy through and through. We had many adventures throughout the years, road trips,
and most recently got him to attend the last 2 MCACN shows with me. I will truly miss him...

Sorry to hear about your friend Chris. I know you two were very close and you spoke of him often in our conversations. SO glad you were able to get him to MCACN. Warren was indeed a great enthusiast and very knowledgeable person and helped me numerous times. He will be greatly missed. RIP Warren.

William 10-11-2021 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also became acquainted with Warren via Hemmings in the '80s. We were like-minded, only interested in 1969 Camaros. Still have correspondence from him, carefully noting features of the many rusty cars he parted out back in the day. Learned a lot from him.

Finally met him at MCACN 2018. Walked and talked for hours. Incredible depth of knowledge, always wanting to learn more.

Godspeed Warren. Your shoes will never be filled.

Xplantdad 10-11-2021 04:59 PM

So sad. Lots of good folks have passed lately. Thanks for letting us all know, Steve...and also thanks to everyone for sharing their memories. Those will never go away :beers:

Postsedan 10-11-2021 06:11 PM

Steve,

I very nice tribute. Very sad news....RIP Warren.

Dan

16 Grand Sedan 10-11-2021 06:19 PM

Thank you Steve for opening this discussion.
The hobby has lost another Great Person.
I first met Warren from the old Hemmings days. He always had ads looking for rare stuff.
A friendship started when he became the owner of a #480 distributor that I had originally found out here in Ca.
He was full of valid information and history to share.
While we know him for his Camaro endeavors he had the same passion in the world of clocks and watches.
Godspeed Warren

1967Z28 10-11-2021 07:07 PM

Warren was reserved but a really great guy. I'm so glad I finally got to meet him in person at MCACN and spend more quality time with him than just over the computer. I've known guys who were rabid, knowledgeable '69 Camaro enthusiasts but Warren topped them all. He had an encyclopedic memory for anything related to those cars. Rest in peace, Warren. You are truly missed.

z28s4mjg 10-11-2021 07:38 PM

To all my Friends that had the pleasure of knowing Warren

As several have already stated quite eloquently, our friend Warren was truly one of a kind. I think he had the part number for every piece used for 69 chambered exhaust committed to memory, along with the date that each one was discontinued by GM. Although he probably had more knowledge about 69 Camaro’s than almost anyone he was very willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us and was always happy and willing to do so. I will miss talking to him.
Mike

bbbentley 10-11-2021 08:56 PM

Can’t hardly believe this. How sad. Sincere heartfelt condolences to his family and our Camaro community for this great loss.

Mec 10-11-2021 09:53 PM

I do not post a lot.

I knew Warren for about 36 years and he was an encyclopedia of information about the 1969 Camaro. I will add a little insight to the Warren I knew. I first met Warren in 1986, shortly after purchasing my 1969 Z /28 from the original owner. Warren had posted a Camaro parts ad in a classified newspaper in Connecticut, called the Bargain News.

After talking with Warren on the phone several times, he invited me down to his house which at the time was part of an old estate. I knew it was going to be a great day when I pulled up. There were several classic muscle cars parked in the yard. Two Z/28s and a Yenko Nova. There were several other muscles cars there that day which were part of his collection. Warren was very private on what was in his collection.

Warren greeted me at the door and invited me in. The day just got better and better with the collection of parts, cars and advertising material that he showed me.

Warren stopped by my house in the fall of 2019 to look at some of the items on my Z, as he was getting his Z ready for the upcoming show in Chicago.

He really enjoyed helping people and was a great guy. I have fond memories of that day.

RIP my friend.

R68GTO 10-11-2021 11:05 PM

Really sad to hear this about Warren, RIP. I didn't know him well but he and I corresponded occasionally regarding my build. He would kindly point out where I had made a mistake and explain to me what was correct. I really appreciated his expertise. The master cylinder on my car was one of several parts I bought from Warren. At the 2019 MCACN show, Warren was kind enough to stop what he was doing and help get my wife and I into the show on Friday before it was open to the public. Just a great guy and very knowledgeable enthusiast.

Flying Undertaker 10-12-2021 04:23 PM

I am thoroughly disheartened to learn the news about the passing of Warren Malkin Jr. I was first acquainted with him by purchasing 1969 Camaro parts from him off of his ads in Hemmings Motor News (back in the old days before computers became the mainstay for the sale of parts). He helped me with some very hard to find parts that I still did not have and were necessary for the completion of my restoration while the car was in the shop! Thank you from the bottom of my heart and may you RIP, my friend. Don.

Steve Shauger 10-12-2021 04:41 PM

The details are not finalized, but there will be a memorial award presented in Warren's honor at MCACN. He was a member of the Vintage Certification team and most likely the award will be announced and presented in our location.

1967Z28 10-12-2021 04:50 PM

That's really outstanding, Steve. What a nice way to honor his memory.

Steve Shauger 10-12-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967Z28 (Post 1567015)
That's really outstanding, Steve. What a nice way to honor his memory.

Many of his friends have reached out Doug P. Mike G., Chris W., Robrt L. and others and we decided this was a great way to keep his passion and memory with us.

Xplantdad 10-12-2021 06:47 PM

Great...:beers:

bashton 10-12-2021 06:51 PM

So sad to hear of Warrens passing.

Was so neat that he was able to join us at MCACN, where many of us put a face to the name we all knew. Such incredible knowledge and passion.

Please plan on joining us Saturday, November 20 in the Vintage Certification area at MCACN when members of the Vintage Certification team along with friends present a very special award in Warrens honor.

Bashton

copo69 10-12-2021 11:01 PM

I just learned of this and am deeply saddened to hear of Warren's passing. Like most of you we met through Hemmings ads and through the years spent many hours on the phone comparing our similar dated cars. He was my go to authority on Camaros. We were able to meet up at the last MCACN and I had started checking on him more frequently. He told me of his illness back in 2017 and through it all he remained optimistic of his treatments even though I knew it was bad. I last spoke to him a couple of weeks ago and was planning on calling him this week. I shall miss him greatly. Godspeed my friend.

copo69 10-12-2021 11:12 PM

Funeral Arrangements for Warren

Tribute

Harwinton – Warren F. Malkin, Jr., 65, passed away peacefully on Monday, October 11, 2021 after a courageous battle with cancer.

Warren was born in Aurora, Illinois on June 18, 1956, son of Warren F. Malkin, Sr. and Ruth N. (Notzelmann) Malkin. He was a graduate of Brookfield High School and of Bowman Technical School for watchmaking and repairing. Warren was self-employed prior to working for UPS for 32 years.

Warren enjoyed history, especially of the Town of Harwinton and Bowman Technical School. He was a collector of clocks, watches, and arcade games, and he was an avid muscle car enthusiast.

He leaves behind his girlfriend, Karen Nicoletti, of Barkhamsted; his parents, Warren F. Malkin Sr., and Ruth N. Malkin, of Brookfield; his brothers, Mark A. Malkin, and his wife, Laura J. Daigle, of New Milford; and David W. Malkin, of Waterbury; his nephews, Ryan J. Malkin, and his fiancée, Justine Plourde, of Rocky Hill, and Daniel J. Malkin, and his wife, Anna V. Malkin, of Sherman and his great-nephew, Benjamin A. Malkin.

Friends may call on Saturday, October 16 at 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at Lyons Funeral Home, 46 High Street, Thomaston, when a procession will leave for a graveside service at West Cemetery in Harwinton.

Memorial donations may be made in Warren’s name to Sharon Audubon Center, 325 Cornwall Bridge Rd, Sharon, CT 06069 or Harwinton Historical Society, PO Box 84, Harwinton, CT 06791.
Services
Visitation
Saturday
October 16, 2021
10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Lyons Funeral Home
46 High Street
Thomaston, CT 06787

Charley Lillard 10-13-2021 01:26 PM

Rest in Peace Warren. A great guy obsessed with Camaro's. Probably one of the most if not the most knowledgeable Camaro parts guys on the planet. He and the late Frank DiHartze were what I consider the top two guys with all the rare parts. Just learned recently he was also a expert on pocket watches. It was really great that he got to bring his Z28 to MCACN before he got too sick.

roadster 10-13-2021 05:51 PM

Had the privilege to meet and talk some with Warren at 2019 MCACN. He was showing differences between assembly line and NOS emblems to a fellow with a large 69 Camaro collection. I was just trying to listen and learn . Warren made a point to include me in conversation and answer questions. We talked some more about 69 Camaros and cars after other fellow left . First time I had met him but was struck by his down to earth humble kindness . R I P and condolences to family and close friends .

NorCam 10-14-2021 01:27 AM

I was told of Warrens battle with Cancer, but was still saddened to read of his passing this week. RIP Warren...and may there be a silver Z lining those clouds for you on the other side.

Condolences to his family and his close friends. He will be missed.

67since67 10-14-2021 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadster (Post 1567196)
Had the privilege to meet and talk some with Warren at 2019 MCACN.

Same with me. He had reached out to me in early 2019 because his silver JL8 Z was sold here. Turns out I was employed in the service dept at the selling dealer in 1969 but unfortunately had no memory of his car.
He was asking what dealer emblem would have been placed on it, I was able to help with that, and presented him with one when meeting him at MCACN.

Condolences to his family and friends, and RIP.

Bill W

COPO 10-14-2021 12:16 PM

Unfortunately these types of announcements are becoming more frequent as we all age. It's a good reminder to get those projects finished and enjoy them while you can and make more time for your family and loved ones.

While I didn't know Warren personally, but sounds like he was a great guy and quite an asset to our beloved hobby.

Condolences to family and friends.

rlw68 10-14-2021 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley Lillard (Post 1567159)
It was really great that he got to bring his Z28 to MCACN before he got too sick.

Hey Charlie, was this Warren's Z/28 I saw at MCACN 2019? It's the one with the JL8, crossram, and fiberglass hood.

Attachment 205320

Zoomin69 10-14-2021 09:18 PM

Warren was a true friend. We went back many years.
Rest in peace and thank you for always sharing your Camar knowledge with us!
Ed

William 10-14-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw68 (Post 1567373)
Hey Charlie, was this Warren's Z/28 I saw at MCACN 2019? It's the one with the JL8, crossram, and fiberglass hood.

Attachment 205320

Did not have a cross-ram. Had the fiberglass hood with the very rare single carb adapter and air cleaner.

1967Z28 10-15-2021 12:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a closer shot of Warren's car's engine compartment and a sign he had made for the car.

1967Z28 10-15-2021 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another shot with the right battery in it this time.

Steve Shauger 10-15-2021 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 1567395)
Did not have a cross-ram. Had the fiberglass hood with the very rare single carb adapter and air cleaner.

Correct as usuall William!

NorCam 10-15-2021 06:39 PM

I had a few good looks at Warren's JL8 car in 2019 at MCACN, but never did manage catch up to him at the show. Here are a few pictures that I captured that weekend where I was back to study the car on at least 3 occasions.

https://i.ibb.co/bWX3ZBs/IMG-7642.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/PNRsS5B/IMG-7776.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/XSSQvMZ/IMG-7778.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/yP8B4t8/IMG-7641.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/1Gtw3tC/IMG-7779.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/4JJmmmY/IMG-7700.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/CJjkXSH/IMG-7783.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/w71SbxH/IMG-7782.jpg

JoeC 10-16-2021 01:00 PM

RIP Warren, in addition to his Camaro knowledge, he had some interesting stories on Yenkos

1967Z28 10-16-2021 02:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are just a couple of items Warren had in the trunk of his car at MCACN. You can see how he put label tags on his parts that included when the part was discontinued in the system. In my experience with Warren, the "disco" date was every bit as important as the description and application of the part.

William 10-16-2021 03:09 PM

Warren enjoyed being a contrarian.

Two topics we occasionally discussed were a bare block from a COPO in his possession. Casting 3955270 cast I 4 8 stamped T0122MN. Has an April VIN stamp.

The other was a 576 mile COPO he had known of for decades, raced since new. Late [8/69] production car, still has the custom paint applied back in the day. He went to check it out last March and sent a number of pics. Still has its original trunk lid, untouched Dusk Blue paint on the inside. It's a welded tab lid, dated D11.

Sure will miss those chats.

copo69 10-16-2021 06:07 PM

He had the nose from that car and was going to assemble it as art. It had it’s original war paint.

ZLP955 10-25-2021 07:09 AM

I'm very sorry i didn't see this thread sooner......and incredibly sad to hear of his passing.
I won't claim to have known Warren very well, but we did correspond in detail over the years after learning we both owned 04A LA-assembled Z/28s. He helped me locate some tough-to-find parts, and even went on a road trip to pick up, and forward on to me, a pair of 15x4 Cragars that popped up on CL.

A true gentleman of the hobby. RIP Warren.

Steve Shauger 11-16-2021 08:41 PM

Warren Malkin Jr- Memorial Award

We will be presenting this award on Sunday at 10:00am. The location is at the back of the building by the stage/awards area, and new Vintage Certification area. The recipient of the award is well respected remarkable knowledge and directness that we all admire. Only one hint he is a member on this and other sites.

There will be announcement made at the show prior to the presentation. Our hope is all our members and the many friends and people he touched will join us.