The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Joe's (X66 714) 1969 SS 396 Camaro "The life & times of X66 714" (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162667)

firstgenaddict 12-01-2020 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installing the rad support with the bushings is an easy one man job IF you use the factory speed nuts or push on retainers, otherwise you feel like you are at least ONE arm short.

FWIW these are called out and illustrated in the AIM, it's just no one puts them in the hardware kits.

X66 714 12-01-2020 05:01 PM

Thanks James. I'll see if I can find a couple of those...Joe

X66 714 12-14-2020 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I know you haven't seen much of my project in a while. I've bee waiting for the fenders to return from striping. I do work on the car every week day & save the weekends for Sheri & I.

Today I decided to re-install the subframe assy. If you've never install a big block with a/c you would swear they don't fit. First added the tape over the rear frame mount hole is the body.

X66 714 12-14-2020 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After about 3 hours of moving the assy around, I finally got it in place & tightened down before removing the body/chassis alignment pins. Mostly have to work by myself because of the virus. There's always somebody here in case I get pinned of something stupid like that...Joe

NorCam 12-15-2020 01:21 AM

Looks awesome Joe. Always an exciting point when the motor gets installed. Keep up the great work my friend. 👏

duskblue 12-15-2020 01:02 PM

Looking good Joe

Crush 12-15-2020 06:48 PM

Just out of curiosity and because 2 yellow Camaro are being restored at the same time, what’s the pros and cons of motor in before fenders vs fenders on.
I’ve not restored a car like this so just wondering?
On another note, it sure would be cool to get them together for some photos one day!

X66 714 12-15-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 1527041)
Just out of curiosity and because 2 yellow Camaro are being restored at the same time, what’s the pros and cons of motor in before fenders vs fenders on.
I’ve not restored a car like this so just wondering?
On another note, it sure would be cool to get them together for some photos one day!

Actually I was waiting for the fenders to return but I need to get this car put back together. My thought were to line up all the front sheet metal & just roll everything under the assm body. I now think that might've been more of a burden on this car. Everything is real tight. I've done it both ways on the Camaros.

MCACN would be a good place for these 2 cars to meet. We'll see what the future brings.
Graeme is in Canada & I'm 60 miles from the other border.....Joe

Jonesy 12-16-2020 01:39 AM

Thats exactly how I did my car. (Just like Joe). I had a rolling subframe with complete engine and trans and rolled it to the body. It was easier to install the fuel and brake lines this way too. I hooked all that up and then placed wheel wells and fenders. I thought it went very smooth.

Nicolas09 12-17-2020 07:06 PM

Looks absolutely amazing! Only hope I have something one day that looks as good. Keep the updates and pics coming. Love them!!!