The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercars/Musclecars-Wanted (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   1967 or 1969 Chevelle SS396 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168391)

Woodrock 08-14-2021 02:49 AM

1967 or 1969 Chevelle SS396

Howdy folks,

I have been lurking and reading here for a couple of years now, and love all of the knowledge and information here. Great site!

Wanted to see if there might be a 1967 or 1969 Chevelle SS396 needing a restoration out there for sale. I would like a hardtop or convertible, 4 speed, and am open to most anything else for the right car, including color, options, etc. I don’t really want a complete basket case, but am willing to do plenty of work if necessary. Correct, numbers matching drivetrain is a big plus.

I hope this is not frowned upon for a first post!

Thanks for looking.

Edit- I didn’t want to bump this to the top, and move other posts down, but I have found a car now. Thanks all for looking and commenting! Thanks Mike!

Tony

Oldss 08-17-2021 01:15 AM

You have to stick your head in the ring sometime. Guys on this site are great! The knowledge is incredible. Keep your eyes open. Just when you think that right car won’t come along…… bingo, there it is. Don’t get in a hurry. If you can be patient it will pay off! I’m the wrong person to say it because the backside of my ears are dripping wet. Welcome!

big gear head 08-17-2021 01:41 AM

There are several Chevelle groups on facebook and cars are on there for sale all the time. I believe the guys on this sight are more trustworthy, but there are honest people on facebook too.

Too Many Projects 08-17-2021 01:23 PM

I sent a message to local friend, been sitting on a '69 SS, 3 speed floor shift car for many years. I don't think it has the engine/trans with it. He may be in the mood to let it go by now ...:dunno:

Bill Pritchard 08-19-2021 07:48 PM

Tony,

Welcome to the site. How about this one that's back on eBay? Not a number matching car, but looks like it's fairly solid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40308270972...=10001&mkevt=1

Woodrock 08-20-2021 02:28 AM

Thanks guys. Bill, I saw that one posted by Tony, and have thought about it some. It looks like as solid of a body as one could hope to find.

Several things missing, but I guess anything is doable with time and resources.

I haven’t looked for very long, and admittedly don’t know a lot about these cars, but what is a guess from some of you guys as to how often a more complete car comes around for sale? Is it a good decision to put a ton into these cars and not have the born with drivetrain?

Just thinking out loud, and maybe get some good direction in the process.

Thanks.

Too Many Projects 08-20-2021 03:34 AM

The ebay car is, to me, a little optimistically priced for not having any interior and "horrible" paint, but it is a 138 car with the correct trim tag codes for 4 speed and buckets. I didn't see where he specifies if the drivetrain is original or not.
The only thing that may be hard to find for the interior is a clean, usable rear seat. Plenty of rusty junk around, but not clean parts. All the rest is available, with a long lead time right now.

The car is, actually, reasonably close for you to go look at. Many times an interesting car is 1,000 miles away. Maybe make a weekend of it and bring cash to negotiate a better price.

Will you eventually find a more complete car, yes, often with fresh paint and then you have no idea what the workmanship under that paint is like.

If the paint on this one has orange peel and "junk" in it, some of that can be wet sanded out and have a better looking car.

Bill Pritchard 08-20-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1559864)
I didn't see where he specifies if the drivetrain is original or not.

From the eBay auction listing: "Drivetrain- 1969 Chevelle 396 engine with a Muncie transmission and 12 bolt rear end. Runs and drives great, shifts perfect and NO noise or leaks."

I agree the price is a bit ambitious, but it's a running, driving car that appears pretty solid, and those aren't too plentiful anymore.

Too Many Projects 08-20-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard (Post 1559938)
From the eBay auction listing: "Drivetrain- 1969 Chevelle 396 engine with a Muncie transmission and 12 bolt rear end. Runs and drives great, shifts perfect and NO noise or leaks."

I agree the price is a bit ambitious, but it's a running, driving car that appears pretty solid, and those aren't too plentiful anymore.

Ah, ha, my eyes must have transposed the 9 to a 7, jsut lkie popele can raed wrdos lkie tihs...:wink: