The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   66 Vette Question (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160201)

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 03-25-2020 09:26 PM

66 Vette Question

2 Attachment(s)
I like to decode TT's, and a friend has a '66 Vette, body is in primer on a body roller, and I helped him move it yesterday. I haven't seen the frame or engine/trans/rear. I helped decode the TT and VIN, but noticed the large gap between the body build date of (presumably) Sept of '65, and the car build date of approx June of '66. Is this normal, or did I interpret the codes wrong??

Kurt S 03-26-2020 04:13 AM

Ruh-roh. Something doesn't match and I'd say that VIN has been off the car.

mssl72 03-26-2020 05:24 AM

Yeah, didn't the Corvette line use rosette rivets for the VIN tag??

MosportGreen66 03-26-2020 11:59 AM

Marlin, unfortunately the Rivets on VIN tag are wrong... should be rosette. The trim tag is too dirty to determine authenticity. Can you please clean it and provide a better photo?

Dan

rszmjt 03-26-2020 02:41 PM

Vin Tag has been off ( as posted) rosette rivits were used 1965 on.
Check the frame hidden vins to see if they match the vin tag, 2 locations on drivers side- on side rail top about drivers seat area and drivers rear rail about level with rear suspension trailing arm rebound bumper. Trim tag looks OK IMO. Body is a roadster correct?

marxjunk 03-26-2020 02:55 PM

wherent early 65 rivets round? I have a couple early 65 cars..not vette..that have round rivets..a Lemans and a GS..theres a lot of documentation on pontiac and buicks having round rivets..my second GS is 2 months away and it has rosettes...

I know nothing about corvettes...just curious..why would a vette be diff...its still a GM car

rszmjt 03-26-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxjunk (Post 1490857)
wherent early 65 rivets round? I have a couple early 65 cars..not vette..that have round rivets..a Lemans and a GS..theres a lot of documentation on pontiac and buicks having round rivets..my second GS is 2 months away and it has rosettes...

I know nothing about corvettes...just curious..why would a vette be diff...its still a GM car

I dont know on other cars but on C2 Corvette
63/64 - spot welded vin tags
65 early - regular rivits
65 later - rosette rivits
66 -up - rosette rivits

Keith Seymore 03-26-2020 04:02 PM

Yes - my 65 GTO built in Pontiac Michigan in September of 1964 has round rivets.

But definitely the exception rather than the rule. The transition seems to have occurred during the 1964 calendar year.

K

Keith Seymore 03-26-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxjunk (Post 1490857)

Because it's one product line built in one assembly plant for one production shift. That allows for more control over the assembly process and reduced variation.

Other products were built across multiple assembly plants (as many as seven) with multiple products on the same line and multiple shifts of production (as many as three). This necessitates a gradual roll out of production changes.

K

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 03-26-2020 08:38 PM

Well 'S'!!! :eek: That's not what I expected to hear :( I'll swing by his place again to see if he's got the frame there yet (he's in the process of moving....) and see about the title. Its always something with these old cars!