The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   69 Cowl induction throttle switch install (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164330)

Jonesy 11-30-2020 08:40 PM

69 Cowl induction throttle switch install

69 Camaro. Everything is original or NOS.

I am trying to figure out how they got this throttle switch and retainer in the hole on the throttle arm.
Fricken broke my first NOS switch trying, now on to the next switch.

Is there some trick I dont know about?

Do you put the retainer on the throttle switch and then put it in the hole?
OR do you put the insert on the hole and try to jam the throttle switch in there.

This is tough I tell ya!!!

Lynn 12-01-2020 06:09 AM

This has to be extremely frustrating Jonesy.

Looks so simple. Wish I could help. It has been 8 years since I assembled mine.

Couple of questions:
1. Is the throttle arm GM?

2. Is the retainer GM?

Going off memory here. I am almost certain, I installed the switch before I installed the arm. Car was apart. Don't know if you have that option.

I am 99% certain I put the retainer in the arm, and then pushed the switch into the retainer. IIRC, it was not really hard to get in.

My thinking is that if your arm and or retainer are aftermarket, they may not be the exact correct size. I rarely find aftermarket repop stuff to be EXACT.

X66 714 12-01-2020 10:42 AM

Do the instructions in AIM help? They're on ZL2 A2. I'll send you a picture when I get to the shop....Joe

rszmjt 12-01-2020 01:35 PM

Jonesy, I had the throttle arm in the vice in soft jaws, I put a small amount of grease on the installed bushing/clip then worked the switch in, afterwards I washed the grease off and reinstalled the whole arm/switch. If motor is in car that’s a chore too, as not much clearance behind the cylinder head.

As noted the repo bushing/clip may be a issue, but you post says nos or original so the clip is not the problem .

m22mike 12-01-2020 01:52 PM

I have never had much luck with the repop clip, see If someone can help with a OEM used one.

Mike

firstgenaddict 12-01-2020 03:35 PM

Jonesy- maybe you figured this out sooner than I did... however I kept thinking the switch went in from the rear of the throttle arm- If memory serves - it goes in from the front and when you floor it the switch depresses against the firewall.

Unreal 12-01-2020 07:05 PM

I used an NOS switch with a repop bracket. I had to file it out just a little to make if fit.

Jonesy 12-01-2020 07:43 PM

Thanks guys for all the responses.
Late last night I took a pair of tin snips to the retainer clip and slightly trimmed the opening for the switch. I havent tried it yet but plan on it.
I also think it helps to provide some pics so I will do that also.
I need to conquer this thing.
The next thing will be trying to replace my current non CI throttle arm with this one. My engine is in and it makes it hard to get access to that.

Joe, thanks for the pics you sent and your willingness to help out:worship:

WorkinProgress 12-01-2020 07:56 PM

Be sure after you install switch, you install the clip to hold the switch in its adjusted place when you go full throttle. The clip I am talking about is the same one used to hold the window cranks in place. If you do not install this clip after you get proper adjustment, when you go full throttle you will push the entire switch back towards the engine.

- Warren

WorkinProgress 12-02-2020 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Assembly manual showing clip as number 5, as stated in my previous posting.

- Warren