The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Wheel hop in my 69 Chevelle (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148749)

sixt9rsx33 04-30-2018 10:42 AM

Wheel hop in my 69 Chevelle

My Chevelle wheel hops terribly. I am guessing part of this issue is due to the rear springs the second owner put i the car. They "lift" the car up to give the jacked up look. When I go over bumps the car feels like it bounces over the bump instead of the suspension absorbing the bump. If I put regular springs in the car would this wheel hop reduce? The rear end is a 3:31 out of a 67 Chevelle...that is what the casting number for the center section is anyway.

wheelhop 04-30-2018 11:17 AM

lower stance will help. Boxed rear lower control arms and new bushings probably would help as well.

mockingbird812 04-30-2018 01:09 PM

GM A bodies are prone to wheel hop. Stiffening things up like Jim suggested will help. BTW, a guy with a user name like that probably knows a thing or two about the subject! :3gears:

Woj 04-30-2018 02:05 PM

The original owner of my 69 COPO Chevelle said it had terrible wheel hop too. He changed out the lower control arms for solid control arms with no rubber bushings. He said it worked perfectly. I don't think I'd go to that extreme, but lowering and stiffening up the rear will help. Good luck.

mockingbird812 04-30-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woj (Post 1399077)
The original owner of my 69 COPO Chevelle said it had terrible wheel hop too. He changed out the lower control arms for solid control arms with no rubber bushings. He said it worked perfectly. I don't think I'd go to that extreme, but lowering and stiffening up the rear will help. Good luck.

"...extreme.."?! :eek2: Woj, if you are going to Day Two that bad boy of yours, you are going to have to re cage your notion of modification!:hmmm::wink::3gears:

VintageMusclecar 04-30-2018 03:48 PM

As already said above, good control arm and upper housing ear bushings will go a long ways towards alleviating wheel hop.

Speaking of upper housing ears--FWIW, the ears on the <67 housings are actually slightly forward of the 68-up housings which causes a minor pinion angle issue. I *think* the difference is somewhere around 1/2", but it's enough to warrant a look. Adjustable upper control arms will allow you to dial the angle in.

big gear head 04-30-2018 07:14 PM

I've got a '68-'72 12 bolt that I would gladly trade for the '67. I need one for my '67. :Can-I-Have-It:

sixt9rsx33 05-01-2018 01:46 AM

Thanks guys that is great info. The control arms bushings etc are all original looking and shot. This car should be restored....don’t have it in me right now though. This is the old L78 I bought that Scunio put on the board from an eBay seller.
I would like to put a KK rear end back in this car. March April 69 date would be great. Happy to trade the current rearend that is in the car.