The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   COPO - United States (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Introducing........RAT’S NEST (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149308)

ZLP955 05-27-2019 07:16 AM

Very cool plate! And the engine and wheels look great too - nice work.

big gear head 05-27-2019 02:20 PM

That's some great work that you are doing. I'm guessing it won't be ready for SCR22. Maybe you can have it at SCR23? Are you going to come this year anyway?

R68GTO 05-27-2019 07:42 PM

Thanks Freddie. I'm hoping to finish the car up this winter so it is ready for SCR23. I'm still on the fence if I'm going to make it this year or not, definitely would like to since it was so much fun last year.

big gear head 05-28-2019 01:56 AM

I think there are going to be some first timers there this year. Should be a good show again.

R68GTO 06-08-2019 11:53 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Started to clean up my BE rear today. Found some paint marks on the housing....curious if these are typical? Horizontal white line with runs on the top and a white "6"(?) on the bottom side of the passenger side of the gear housing. Bottom of the gear housing has what looks like (3) wide yellow stripes. All the paint marks look like they are applied to the bare casting. Black paint is on top of both the yellow and white marks.

big gear head 06-09-2019 01:16 AM

Would the black paint have been applied at the factory or was that done by a previous owner?

Are you going to leave the rear end assembled or are you going to rebuild it?

R68GTO 06-09-2019 09:39 AM

My understanding is that the axle manufacturer would have painted the unit black prior to shipping to GM.....experts please chime in on this one. In my stripping process, the paint application on this rear seems to be (from recent to oldest):
1) semi-gloss black
2) chevy orange (side facing rear of car only)
3) semi-gloss black
4) yellow/white paint marks
5) bare steel

Layer 1 came off pretty easily, while layer 3 is adhered pretty good to the hsg. so I'm assuming this is the layer applied by the manufacturer.
My gut feel is to have someone go through it to replace bearings/seals, set backlash, etc. though just my uneducated eye says it all looks basically new now. Any advice is welcome.

Someone (can't remember who at the moment - Frank A. maybe) told me this particular rear was in a 57 chevy in the Columbus and originally came out of a burnished brown Frost Chevrolet RS COPO that had been wrecked BITD.

big gear head 06-09-2019 01:56 PM

Where are you located? You don't have your location listed in your details.

R68GTO 06-09-2019 07:48 PM

Located in Minster, Ohio. Just updated my user details.

R68GTO 06-09-2019 09:58 PM

More BE stuff & questions

5 Attachment(s)
Pinion yoke - is it correct? Some research I've done says the u-joint should be held in by straps and bolts instead of u-bolts? Found some more paint dabs on the ends of the axles, white in the center and 3 orange dots on the flange. Anyone see that before? I ask because the rear side of this housing was painted orange so don't want to duplicate if it was part of that paint job.
Also curious what the "58" represents above the cast date tag on the housing. Anyone know?