The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Buick (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Passing the reins to our Grandson (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136560)

RPOLS3 11-30-2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 1638789)
Nice work. Have you ever sent oil sample to black stone ? I just did recently on one of mine and always appreciate the info..

No - Probably not a bad idea given the miles.....

GM Powertrain 12-05-2023 04:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is a great thread and a very enjoyable read. Car looks fantastic especially with the Eagle GT tires and has a great caretaker for it. TR's have always been my kryptonite for over 30 years. Currently have two black Turbo T's in the stable. Original paint 49,000 mile Astroroof car with cornering lamps and the other was a project car for the old GM High Tech Performance Magazine. Your updates/repairs are what we're all are dealing with for years with these cars. A couple suggestions if I may:

Keep an eye on the "Press and Pray' Powermaster braking system. There are other problem areas with them- cheap stock appearing replacement vacuum systems available.
The factory nylon gear timing gear is prone to having teeth break off due to age miles.
Factory valve springs are very weak-many cheap replacements available.
Factory fuel pump is completely inadequate. Many inexpensive replacements available as well as a hot wire kit to ensure enough voltage for the pump.

Love seeing that the car has stayed in the family since new. Continue to enjoy it.

RPOLS3 12-30-2023 03:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Spent a bit more time on the Regal yesterday. I should have looked through the box of stuff in the basement that came with the car years ago before I bought the new valve cover gaskets.........Dad had spares of about everything you would need. He'd be laughing at my decision to just go buy new vs. looking to see what we had. In addition he had a duplicate of the original breather setup (one from this car day two takeoff and one from a good friends car that was also a day two takeoff). I failed to notice the breather was originally plumbed to the turbo intake plenum. One of his day two mods was to cap the breather intake on the plenum and install an old school chrome breather in the valve cover. I put the original system back on.

I also found a stack of old GSX-tra magazines he saved - this was one of the go-to sources for go fast information on these cars back on the day.

dykstra 12-30-2023 04:00 PM

I remember those magazines!!

RPOLS3 02-02-2024 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the original horns failed several years ago........I found a generic used Buick Regal replacement on E-Bay and installed it but saved the original as nobody was rebuilding these "newer" horns at the time. Fast forward to MCACN 2023 and Gary from The Horn Works was in the swap space next to us and is local to me so I dropped the non functioning original off at the beginning of the month and picked it up today.

Kind of hard to see - but it's installed and works great - probably should take the other original one to Gary now as it has something rattling around inside. Thanks to Gary for a job well done.

RPOLS3 04-01-2024 08:54 PM

As a follow up to this - I had Gary do the other horn and installed it, works great. New AC Delco battery installed too and all ready for summer driving season.