The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Preservation forum (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Layer by layer paint stripping (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151917)

R68GTO 11-18-2018 08:18 PM

Layer by layer paint stripping

3 Attachment(s)
I'm in the process of disassembling the COPO and now have the inner/outer fenders removed. The guy that did the color change on the car back in 1978 told me he used Imron paint in the engine bay. Now that I have much of the front end off, I can clearly see the transition from original factory black to his gloss black paint. Since my goal is to "preserve" v.s. "restore, is it possible to strip away just the gloss black layer to get back to the factory finish? Particlulary would like to address areas on the A-arms, inner fenders, and a few areas on the front crossmember. Any tips on removing the black paint from the original brake booster? Would like to get back to the plated finish on that. I would like to also get the black off the cowl and get back to the Lemans Blue, but that seems like a very ambitious project:smirk:

olredalert 11-19-2018 04:29 PM

----Imron is a particularly difficult paint to remove and the original black frame paint is so easy to remove it wipes right off with laquer thinner. Its going to be a problem for you that I, at least, cant see any way to do what you want successfully. Hopefully another member can offer you a better outcome...….Bill S

bbbentley 11-19-2018 05:02 PM

It looks like the ball joints have been replaced? I suggest the upper arms and dog bone (the bar the arm pivots on) to find some nice original pieces and replace those. Other parts, sand and buff to a low sheen. Aircraft stripper on booster.

R68GTO 11-19-2018 09:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I hate to replace any components that are original to the car if I don't have to. Would rather blast and repaint correct instead. Luckily for me, it appears that the underside of the car has not been touched since new, just 50 years of crud accumulation. I'll know more about that once I cut through that stuff. The ball joints are aftermarket, so I will replace those with riveted versions. Thanks again!
Jim

Lynn 11-19-2018 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I get the whole "preserve" vs "restore" approach. Problem is, there are some things already beyond preserving.

I agree with Bill. If it were lacquer over Imron, no problem. I see no way to remove Imron over lacquer without disturbing the lacquer.

Really easy to duplicate the factory black out of the firewall though. I used some very old RM black lacquer with a PPG flattening agent.

When you clean up the underside, don't be surprised if you find three different colors under there from the firewall to the rear bumper. That is how mine was.

R68GTO 11-20-2018 01:40 AM

When you clean up the underside, don't be surprised if you find three different colors under there from the firewall to the rear bumper. That is how mine was.

Lynn, are you referencing semi-gloss black, primer, & body color overspray when you say 3 different colors?

AutumngoldL78 12-08-2018 12:01 AM

You might could try some deglosser on the glossy parts.I think i got a bottle a Lowes.