The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Dodge assembly line painting procedure question (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155575)

notstock71 06-17-2019 11:47 PM

Dodge assembly line painting procedure question

I am starting to think about a new daily driver and the Scat Pack 392 Challenger has my attention. My question is about painting on the assembly line.

Is it that big of a deal to do a special order paint color if staying in the Fiat/Chrysler family? Obviously Dodge denied my inquiry. Is it because of a time/ delay issue to get everything ready? How are cars painted now? Are they painted in batches of the same color, system cleaned out then next color sprayed? I could see where a special order color would be a problem then. I'm willing to pay a reasonable upcharge though, say $1000ish.

I was also denied the Shaker on the widebody option. Definitely disappointing to get denied on 2 of the 3 things I wanted.

I appreciate any insight on the whole painting scenerio. Now if someone has back doors to make this happen.....let's do some dealing.

Mr70 06-18-2019 01:31 AM

What's the 3rd thing you want?

notstock71 06-18-2019 02:00 AM

I want it in 2019 Jeep Bikini Pearl paint, code PPT. I know it was wishful thinking, I haven't heard of special paint from any manufacturers. I hoped being in the same family it would be possible.

I want the shaker hood with a widebody.

Final was the drag pack

notstock71 06-18-2019 06:18 PM

This is to all manufacturers, not everybody wants a black interior. Give us some color. I would take a white/black combo in a heartbeat.

danachevroletfor1967 06-18-2019 08:15 PM

Unfortunately I think these days the factories are only interested in one thing: making as much money as possible as quickly as possible. They don't care about the customers like in the good old days, say circa 1950's to early 1970's. I can't speak from personal experience but just based on what I have read and heard from other car buffs dealerships in the know or who wanted to go that extra step for a hopefully life long customer were willing to at least try to convince the factory to do special orders.
I am with you on the lack of interior colors. I would love to see interiors in white, bright red, bright blue, and gold.

Billohio 06-19-2019 07:25 AM

I think the local BMW dealer told me they had a few special colors you could order, already selected, and they were 5 to 6,000

southernfriedcj 06-19-2019 05:13 PM

I have seen threads on the Cummins forum that the special order colors(fleet colors) like Hills Green, New Holland Blue, Omaha Orange, ect can only be done when they have a batch of trucks ready to paint that color.

I searched and found this. It's Ram, but it may help:
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...questions.html

notstock71 06-19-2019 06:38 PM

Thank you

72heavychevy 06-20-2019 06:05 PM

Another reason is with all the small plastic parts on cars today (think mirror covers, bumpers, spoilers, fender flares, etc) a lot of them come into the production line pre-painted from the supplier. Having a custom paint or special order color would be very difficult to manage. I'm currently working at an OEM as an engineer and was trying to do the same thing for a car I plan to order.

notstock71 06-21-2019 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72heavychevy (Post 1452401)
Another reason is with all the small plastic parts on cars today (think mirror covers, bumpers, spoilers, fender flares, etc) a lot of them come into the production line pre-painted from the supplier. Having a custom paint or special order color would be very difficult to manage. I'm currently working at an OEM as an engineer and was trying to do the same thing for a car I plan to order.

I assume you were unsuccessful also?