The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Wittek Tower Clamps (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156581)

Mulsanne Blue 08-18-2019 02:04 PM

Wittek Tower Clamps

Looking for correct tower clamps for my '70 z. After scouring information and availability on the internet, I've gathered that Marti Auto Works bought Wittek's tooling after they went under and are producing clamps. More geared toward Fords, they sell direct and evidently distribute through other venders. Has anyone bought his product? If so, can you specify dates and what are the various sizes available?

https://www.martiauto.com/itemselect...lecteditem=yes

olredalert 08-18-2019 02:34 PM

----Wow,,,Did not no this. Wonder if you can specify dates?......Bill S

Mulsanne Blue 08-18-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1459930)
----Wow,,,Did not no this. Wonder if you can specify dates?......Bill S

On Marti Auto Works' website, there isn't detailed info on his clamps, i.e., sizes, dating, etc., only a brief description on application. The same for vendors that he supplies. I would assume since he owns Wittek's original tools/process that he would be able to make any size with any date.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk on this broad concerning his clamps since having "correct" clamps is one of those visible detail items some people strive for. Further, I haven't seen any of his clamps being resold on fleaBay. Only original used for crazy prices and the cheap incorrect reproductions. Either finding reproduced correct dated clamps is a secret, or it doesn't exist.

Mulsanne Blue 08-20-2019 09:48 PM

Wikket Clamp

1 Attachment(s)
Can someone measure the width of an original smog clamp across the band? Preferably smal block '69-'72. Pic is untouched '74 z. From what I've gathered so far is that they are supposed to be 7/16" wide 1 1/16 GN34 (5/8" hose). Curious to see if any 1/2" wide GM34 came from the factory.

BCreekDave 08-21-2019 10:53 AM

My understanding from reading many posts on this is that the clamps from Marti come from the original tooling, but the gage (thickness) of the steel is somewhat less. Can anyone confirm this?
Pacecarjeff can sell sets with dates. Never purchased any and can't confirm the quality. I know as much as the web site tells me.
Let me know what you end up with. I need a complete set for my 70Z restoration too.

Mulsanne Blue 08-21-2019 08:39 PM

Clamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCreekDave (Post 1460261)
My understanding from reading many posts on this is that the clamps from Marti come from the original tooling, but the gage (thickness) of the steel is somewhat less. Can anyone confirm this?
Pacecarjeff can sell sets with dates. Never purchased any and can't confirm the quality. I know as much as the web site tells me.
Let me know what you end up with. I need a complete set for my 70Z restoration too.

Will update with reviews of any purchases. I spoke with Eric at Marti. Eric verified all sizes for a '70 z are available except the 7/16 wide 1 1/16 smog clamp. That is, if 7/16 is in fact what was used. Trying to verify this through this thread. They can do 4/69 dates but not 1/70. My car is a 04B, so I didn't ask about any other '70 dates.You can also order undated.

Will need the thickness of an original clamp for comparison, if someone can help with that.

RPOLS3 08-21-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCreekDave (Post 1460261)

I purchased his heater hose and radiator hose clamp sets when I bought the hoses from him several years ago for a 72 Chevelle - the quality of the clamps themselves are fine - but the fonts of the dates he stamped don't look like some of the other originals I have. Not sure if there were different fonts over the years for the clamps or not, or if he has changed since I purchased. Not picking on Jeff as he is a good guy, just making an observation of what I noticed on mine.

MJV1953 08-22-2019 04:05 PM

Wittek clamp width

I had an original Wittek clamp that is stamped 3/69 1 1/16" and the band width is 7/16".

Mulsanne Blue 08-24-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJV1953 (Post 1460437)
I had an original Wittek clamp that is stamped 3/69 1 1/16" and the band width is 7/16".

Do you remember if it smog?

Mulsanne Blue 08-24-2019 09:02 PM

Clamp Report

Ordered a set from Marti. Will post dimension pics. Still need someone to caliper the band thickness of an original. I have none right now.