The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Garages/shops.. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Gas Pump Refurb (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170219)

169indy 12-31-2021 02:20 AM

Gas Pump Refurb

9 Attachment(s)
With Retirement comes time to apply to efforts of "continuing" the Overhaul & Conversion of Livery on this vintage pump. Years ago I spotted a Bad shape Wayne 'Blend-o-Matic' Model: 511E.5 on Craigslist- Oregon. My Buddie Tom & I packed and secured the ECON-O-BLEND pump from the antique mall. I had seen a few pumps talked about on this site and I am not a Gas-o-file certified nut just a fella whom wanted a SUNOCO themed pump in the garage to compliment my 68Z28 for obvious historical reasons (Go Penske & Donohue 68/69). I started the Project YEARS ago and It stalled in Paint Jail & has since was released on good behavior just in time. Thank God for Jeff's great Paint work. I totally guessed on paint colors using photos and a House of Color Paint Chips album, to the Point I have NO clue what we used in the end. I source services via a Local Powder Coater and Plater to refurb many parts. The Unit was heavily damaged from Rodent and Wasp habitat periods, so much so the Vedder & Root computer is in my opinion beyond repair. I was temped to make the unit 'dynamic' operable but have decided to take the easy way out. Static. Enjoy. & Get out there a scoop up these pumps.

AnthonyS 12-31-2021 02:37 AM

Very cool.

X66 714 12-31-2021 02:48 AM

Looking good. The old pumps are cool. I have 9 of them in my collection but only 3 are done....Joe

COPO 12-31-2021 10:47 AM

I have a few as well and they are cool as display items and also have some signage, cans and oil bottles. I primarily collected Mobil / SOCONY / Gargoyle / Vacuum Oil as they are all part of what became Mobil Oil.

Looking forward to additional pictures as you make progress on the resto. A bit easier than a car resto, but same process.

NorCam 12-31-2021 12:08 PM

Be careful as they become addictive. I have made many trips down to Washington and the PNW to pick up groups of pumps, and had 18 in my collection at one point. They are fun to restore and I have done many of them over the years. Mostly electrics and clock faced pumps from the 30's and 40's, but like them all.

ruralrte66 12-31-2021 12:13 PM

Looks Great, Thanks for sharing

Gregg

169indy 12-31-2021 03:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Guys; I re-ballasted (Removed the Leaky Magnetic and used a modern electronic ballast) & re-lamped the Lighting Fixture (Hard to find the 20" T-8's). I was going to Add/Modify the Top for a aftermarket glass or plastic globe but decided against that. I have No Idea what Branding it was originally. Tons of Red, White, Blue and Green and "wood decal" laminate on it just a hod-podge of non matching colors Any guesses? This all started when My dad had a derelict Glass Bowl tower at the corner of his garage more as a Bumper to protect the building. Then I kept seeing Oil Lubsters at swap meets then drooling over the pumps.

X66 714 12-31-2021 03:51 PM

I was pretty sure the "select blend" was Sunoco. Sun Oil Company was one of the key stock holders of Wayne Pump Company. They were having special pumps made at least by 1945. General Petroleum, Conoco, & Mobil were key stock holders....Joe

X66 714 12-31-2021 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
3 of those 4 stock holders had these special pumps made by Wayne Pump Co. for their stations. These are part of my collection. On oldgas.com I was known as "script top dude"...Joe

169indy 01-02-2022 05:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by X66 714 (Post 1576745)
I was pretty sure the "select blend" was Sunoco. Sun Oil Company was one of the key stock holders of Wayne Pump Company. They were having special pumps made at least by 1945. General Petroleum, Conoco, & Mobil were key stock holders....Joe

"CUSTOM-BLENDED"

I am thinking the UNIT Might be a HANCOCK brand, possibly, not that it matter much, I am going Sunoco Blue and Yellow, Ha a Tribute Gas Pump, Non numbers matching, he he he