The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Pit Area - Racing (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Daddy Dave rolls his Goliath Nova (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133488)

Craig_Maiorana 08-03-2015 03:13 PM

Daddy Dave rolls his Goliath Nova

By chance was anyone in attendance at Amarillo raceway when Dave rolled his Nova? Looks like the poor car is a complete loss. Supposedly Dave is ok he has a bruised lung and a serious concussion.

earntaz 08-03-2015 03:37 PM

Re: Daddy Dave rolls his Goliath Nova

Here is the video from Dragzine -- looks like the seat harness attachpoints broke ... TAZ

http://www.dragzine.com/news/video-daddy...marillo-dragway

Craig_Maiorana 08-03-2015 03:41 PM

I heard quite a few of the mounting tabs broke for stuff like the nitrous bottles, his seat tabs. The man is lucky to be alive. That was a seriously violent crash. You can see the nitrous bottles take off in the video

markinnaples 08-10-2015 08:46 PM

I've watched the video of it quite a few times, and it was a horrible crash. It sure looks like the items like the seat belt attachments and nitrous bottle attachments were not done as well as they should have been. He's doing better now, thankfully, and said that the Nova will be coming back.

68l30 08-11-2015 01:58 AM

As a Weld Inspector, I'm speechless. Could have been much much worse.

BIG

markinnaples 08-11-2015 08:00 PM

He posted on FB today that the Nova is a total (of course) and that he's going to rest up, get well again, and start building something else.

RichSchmidt 08-25-2015 11:57 PM

That's why I would never run a moly car. I would just eat the weight difference and go with DOM mild steel. Any kid with a TIG torch can be an artist and make flawless looking welds. It is far too easy to overheat moly,and there is no good way to tell.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY 08-26-2015 02:03 PM

I was talking with a buddy last night about this, is it true that he did most/all of his own welding on that car? With the stuff that came flying out of that car it is amazing he wasn't killed! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif[/img]

68l30 08-26-2015 04:25 PM

Again, I find it disturbing. I will say I did see some things that unsettle me and would love to be able to see more of the work before I'd pass any judgment on the weldor. There are people that can weld and then there are Weldors. They comply with a certified welding process. Two entirely different skill levels and processes involved. I have failed many many flawless looking welds just because of what you see from the car in question. With proper qualifications, certifications and inspection it helps prevent and reduce failures. A good bit of what I look at is radiographed and or destructive tested prior to release. An ARTIST is one thing, a pressure holding, structural, load bearing joint is another. Pretty can be poor and ugly is &quot;sometimes&quot; pretty dang good...

I gotta go stare at more welds. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

BIG

EZ Nova 08-26-2015 07:32 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've watched the video of it quite a few times, and it was a horrible crash. It sure looks like the items like the seat belt attachments and nitrous bottle attachments were not done as well as they should have been. He's doing better now, thankfully, and said that the Nova will be coming back. </div></div>

Seems there are some misconceptions in this thread. The Nitrous bottles came OUT of the front of the holders, not welds breaking off! I believe it was Doc who corrected that misconception.